• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie, picking up my first deuce this Sat! Could use some pointers

samsimpson

Got the deuce home, threw on some 52s :)

I am new to the deuce world but not trucks/offroading. I am getting an already bobbed deuce this sat and could use tips or pointers.

The drive back will be almost 250 miles. The deuce is suppose to be in great running order and the brakes had just been gone through with new cylinders.

Are there any "must bring" tools that I should load up? I figure my normal travel tool set won't be up to par.

Also any common problems or issues I should expect on the drive back? The current owner says he would trust it to drive across the country so I am taking his word for that.

I am getting pretty excited, already have a set of 16.00 R20 XZLs on beadlocks lined up.

I own RamchargerCentral.Com - Index so I know about message board communities, I plan to post lots of pics and document all the mods I do. Looking forward to spending countless hours on this site like I do on RCC :)

Last edited:

ApopkaFL

Banned
I am new to the deuce world but not trucks/offroading. I am getting an already bobbed deuce this sat and could use tips or pointers.

The drive back will be almost 250 miles. The deuce is suppose to be in great running order and the brakes had just been gone through with new cylinders.

Are there any "must bring" tools that I should load up? I figure my normal travel tool set won't be up to par.

Also any common problems or issues I should expect on the drive back? The current owner says he would trust it to drive across the country so I am taking his word for that.

I am getting pretty excited, already have a set of 16.00 R20 XZLs on beadlocks lined up.

I own RamchargerCentral.Com - Index so I know about message board communities, I plan to post lots of pics and document all the mods I do. Looking forward to spending countless hours on this site like I do on RCC :)

welcome to SS

Well its been bobed so I would just check all fluids all over take it easy all way back home. BTW who are you buying it from?

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First and foremost read the TM's!! Also search here for "what to bring" threads. Better be slow and safe on the first ride back until you know her better. Keep us posted! [thumbzup]

pmramsey

8-Ton bottle jack and handles, 1 1/2 inch socket lug nut wrench, antifreeze, mil-spec brake fluid, some 15-40 engine oil, and a good air hose with a pressure gage that connects to the air line connection. Oh yes, how could i forget, ear protection and a cup holder.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Find a scrapyard along your route home(jic) and connect the batteries correctly! [thumbzup]

mrsuperstition

I dont believe I saw anyone list these yet -

FIRE EXTINGUISHER......
and
EAR PLUGS
and
your cell phone with your AAA agents number =)
Good luck and have fun !
:driver:

Last edited:

samsimpson

Well we made it back with no issues (from the trip). Got back just after 1am last night.

When we went to fill up we saw there was an oil leak up front, looks like where the injection pump bolts up. Fuel guage doesn't work correctly, was jumping all over the place or read full. RPM gauge doesn't work either. Will have to do some look ups here to see if there are any common probs.

It did lose 2 quarts of oil after about 180 miles, PO was kind enough to go buy 6 gallons of oil before we left since he wasn't aware of the oil leak. So we just topped off and kept on truckin.

Apparently he did not drive this much, he stated he never had it over 40, which kinda made us worried. My buddy had to drive it for me since I just had shoulder surgery, but he said it ran so much better then he expected, much smoother then he thought. Noise was the only bothersome part of driving, but he had ear plugs :)

But it was an awesome trip and there are a ton of things I want (and need) to do to it.

Thanks to you all for the info!

Unfortunately I only got one pic of it on the trip back, but I will get more :)

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks