• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie with an -803a

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Light...the whole concept for this generator was because being without power for a week during a hurricane. So I need to make sure i have all i need on the shelf. i can see why a parts generator would be a good thing. Filters and such is a good thing but what about other components of the gen itself. Anything in particular
Skys the limit... wait, the wallets the limit.

A rough idea of items I would consider having on the shelf (this is by no means a comprehensive list):

Oil and filters
Fuel treatment (summer and winter mix for lubricity and antigel, biocide, and stabilizers)
Coolant
Extra radiator cap
Radiator 'leak stop' additive (I don't recommend using these unless you HAVE to.. but you might HAVE to...)
Thermostat and gasket
Hose Clamps (for radiator hoses... and spare radiator hoses if you can find them)
Roll of Primary fuel line (and hose clamps)
Roll of Return fuel line (and hose clamps)
Spare fuel pump (in a pinch you can steal you aux pump from the rear)
In line fuel filters
Replacement water separator
Spare battery cables sized and made for this machine
Fuel level sender (installed in the day tank)
Fuel level float switch (mounted on side wall near tank)

Nonconsumable items to have separated just for this machine:

Clamp meter with leads
Roll of smaller gauge wire with alligator clips (for diagnosis problems)
(1) of each sized tool you need specifically for your machine (separate from your main tools, bundled together just for emergency generator use... don't be that guy who can't find one socket when you really need it)

Zed254

Zed...thats kinda crappy to deal with.
Or is it just a ghost in my head?? As I said it runs great and I'm simply going to use it. I've had cars that splashed oil out the dip stick hole and they rolled me many miles. I'm thinking this generator has a loooooong long future ahead of it.

smokem joe

Thats alot of stuff and money
Just how used is that air filter? Any chance on blowing it out and selling it...lol
Those pulse tech seem to be the ticket. You have one? Can anyone comment about them

I use them on all my 24v setups. I have the version with the solar panel and 120v charger. I wire the charger to cut out via a 24VDC relay when S1 is turned to run or prime on the generators. The truck is set up differently, but all 3 of my gen sets are set up to be automatic

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,

After replacing the fuel catridge and the fuel/water filter, turn to prime and run for a long, long time. The fuel system is self bleeding because of the fuel return line. It just takes a while to fill up the filters and such.

Good clean diesel with a double dose of additive will not hurt for the first tank. When started, bring the system up to full operating speed, 60Hz and 120volts. Have equipment to test lugs. Remember the convience oulets are 10amp max. The reset breaker for it is right inside the front gauge panel, exactly right to the front left next to the fault lights.

76shovel

That was gonna be the plan was to flush the fuel lines. Im gonna have to replace all the rubber lines anyhow so i dont think there will be much flushing until i get them all replaced but should be pretty clean afterwards. What should I use to clean the tank. Just some Purple Power and call it good. Also what additive should i use and will it clean the injectors

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,

After cleaning any fuel tank... with some type of cleaner (purple power, simple green etc..)
Whatever product you want to use.

The final rinse should be with 90%[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif] Isopropyl Alcohol. That way it displaces any water, and evaporates.[/FONT]

Chainbreaker

....and a 50 gallon spare fuel tank, several sectional military ground rods, the military ground rod hammer, 4 conductor 6awg cable to get the power where you want it, and those electrical connectors, a Spider Box for your neighbors, misc new gauges as needed, and then a whole garage shelf full of spare parts. I just used my spare air filter....2 more inbound. It kind of depends on your situation and how much 'stuff' you have laying around that works with these machines. Oh, and that 24volt pulsetech military solar battery tender is nice.

And Euro Jerry cans....SEVERAL of them....and the connection fittings required to use your Aux fuel connection with the Jerry cans....using mine right now with an 802.
Your just described where I am at...except I had to throw in a spare working generator to boot! You know 2 is 1 and that won't work too well when you have 2 electrical service entrances to keep powered up during outages. The chance of a failure increases significantly by having 2 gensets that must always be at 100% ready state and 100% operational during any outages. So I'm on a 3 is 2 plan.

Once you go through a week-long power outage and lose a genset to a part failure you didn't predict, it really hits home how prepared you need to be in a rural setting with well water, septic pump, heating, freezers, etc. all dependent on electricity during inclement weather. Soon it becomes an addiction when you start to run the "What-if this or what if that happens" scenarios through your head. You then start to look at things as an "Outage Prepper".

Fortunately, my wife fully supports my addiction after two weather induced power outages in the last 3 years lasting for days made her a MEP believer! We were powered down 2 weeks ago for a scheduled substation modification outage lasting 6 hours, there is another 6 hour ourage tomorrow evening and two more brief ones in the following weeks. Anyway, it's a good drill to fully exercise all of my generators under real conditions.

Its my opinion, that if our infrastructure isn't better maintained & more weather flareups continue on the present trend, it will result in increased frequencies of pwr outages.

So prep on Steel Soldiers! [thumbzup]

76shovel

Good to know. Never thought about that aspect of it. So i guess the plan will be to disconnect the lines. blow them out, replace all rubber. Drain tank, wash tank, rinse, alcohol wipe, refuel and purge system to ensure everything is out and reconnect and bleed system. What about additives and/or injector cleaners...brands/types

Guyfang

Staff member
Your just described where I am at...except I had to throw in a spare working generator to boot! You know 2 is 1 and that won't work too well when you have 2 electrical service entrances to keep powered up during outages. The chance of a failure increases significantly by having 2 gensets that must always be at 100% ready state and 100% operational during any outages. So I'm on a 3 is 2 plan.

Once you go through a week-long power outage and lose a genset to a part failure you didn't predict, it really hits home how prepared you need to be in a rural setting with well water, septic pump, heating, freezers, etc. all dependent on electricity during inclement weather. Soon it becomes an addiction when you start to run the "What-if this or what if that happens" scenarios through your head. You then start to look at things as an "Outage Prepper".

Fortunately, my wife fully supports my addiction after two weather induced power outages in the last 3 years lasting for days made her a MEP believer! We were powered down 2 weeks ago for a scheduled substation modification outage lasting 6 hours, there is another 6 hour ourage tomorrow evening and two more brief ones in the following weeks. Anyway, it's a good drill to fully exercise all of my generators under real conditions.

Its my opinion, that if our infrastructure isn't better maintained & more weather flareups continue on the present trend, it will result in increased frequencies of pwr outages.

So prep on Steel Soldiers! [thumbzup]
I lived 10.5 years on a HAWK missile site, and we produced power, 24/7. ALL YEAR. I had parts hidden all over site, in Bamberg, in the MUNA, (munitions area) and farmed out to a DS, (Direct Support Unit) along with a garage that looked like an Army warehouse. And it STILL wasn't enough. Later in Patriot, I had a "Running Spare" Turbine Motor, I found on the side of the street, (cost, 255,000 bucks) as well as a small warehouse of parts. And it STILL wasn't enough. It really is a shame we don't live closer.

76shovel

2 days and counting. Got the pulsetech in the mail today. For the money i hope it keeps the life of the batteries. It says up to 5x's longer but didn't see anywhere about the conditions it needs to have for it to happen. The paper I got had a link for "correct installation" on TQG's but the link was dead but i would assume it hooks to the battery post and make sure the panel is in sunlight

My plan is to incorporate my well pump house into a gen house as well. I'm figuring a 12x15 should be large enough. Should I make any previsions for air for the gen set to take in for cooling. Any thoughts or input would be great. Common sense tells me "obviously" but does anyone know how much air needs to pass. I would like to keep the shed sealed up just for critter sakes. Bugs, mice, even lizards get into everything. Nothing is safe from them.

Zed254

Generator needs fresh air in, warm air out, and exhaust out. A tight building will keep hot exhaust and radiator air inside and it will get quite hot. Not a good idea to close it up tight.

76shovel

So the transporter misunderstood when i mentioned the date and appointment time and said if he wasn't there it wouldn't be till next week to pick the unit up. Not to mention when he missed the appointment he never called to let me know till delivery day and actually around delivery time he had projected from the begining He said he had contacts at the place to pick up and assured me everything would be alright. Apparently his base clearance won't allow him to access the auction site gated area and arriving, as he slipped up and said he got there a day later then when he was supposed to he couldn't get in to pick the generator up. The part that bothers me the most is he B.S'd me saying the address was wrong that the gen wasn't at that location. That's because that's where you check in to pick the unit up at. I just don't understand why he had to lie. I guess to me to make themselves better about not following the auction site directions and letting a customer down. Now they have to make an extra trip back and acted like they were doing me a favor and helping me out. I just don't understand people anymore

76shovel

Zed...I planned on running the exhaust out. Just didn't know how much air flow provisions I need to operate the gen at a operating level of air flow. Like I mentioned, I live in the woods and have all kinds of critters that get into everything. Just want to make the gen house tight as possible but still able let the gen operate at full capacity with no issues.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would use a fan powered damper then to run while the genset is running (you could even power it off the convenience outlet of the generator), but with mesh to keep all bugs out. The best thing you can do, even if you put this in a structure, is to rodent proof the set. Rodents have all the time in the world to pick apart your defenses.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks