• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie with an -803a

76shovel

Thanks Light...not a bad solution and never thought of it...will incorporate that idea...well i checked my pulsetech charger this morning after hookimg it up to a couple of batteries and my luck strikes again...the controller had gotten hot and was completely distorted...just my luck...although the seller did contact me back already and is gonna put another out to me...just hope its better than this one

Attachments

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've heard nothing but problems with those pulstech units. I have only ever had 1 machine come in with one though... so I my first hand knowledge is very limited with them. If they work for you, great.

Chainbreaker

Zed...I planned on running the exhaust out. Just didn't know how much air flow provisions I need to operate the gen at a operating level of air flow. Like I mentioned, I live in the woods and have all kinds of critters that get into everything. Just want to make the gen house tight as possible but still able let the gen operate at full capacity with no issues.
When designing your shed its good to bring in cool air low and exhaust the heated air high to use natural flow tendancies even with a fan. Should you have any sound deadening requirements you can even accommodate for that.

http://www.hardydiesel.com/img/gen/msc/generator-shed.jpg

76shovel

Well so far...im not very impressed . although I'm not sure but probably a china product so what to expect, but it was 175.00 and i would like for it to work for atleast a couple of years

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man... get a refund at that price. Go look up the NOCO unit I posed in another thread. Will power (2) 12V batteries simultaneously, and was $99 shipped via Amazon.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter

76shovel

Chain...i think im over thinking things.im sure with a few vents along the bottom meshed over for the air intake holes of the gen to breathe and maybe duct the hot air up and out will be fine. I imagine simplicity will be the key.

69birdman

I picked up my 803 Dec "17" , has pulsetech , I put 2 cheap wal-mart group 26 batterys to it and it's started every time. It only gets an hour or 2 of direct sunlight a day and batterys are always 25v.

Brian

76shovel

Light...i never thought about noco...i jave a jump box of theirs...i ised the heck out of that thing...i used/abused it alone to start my dozer...but it is also rated to start big diesel trucks. I wanted something kinda overkill for the automotive side of things cause you never know. Anyhow...i stand behind noco and their customer service...i wish i had thought about them before i purchased this thing. It will forsure be the next. Someone mentioned pulsetech on here and seen they are issued for the military and figured it would be a decent product...i got the 6.3 watt and seen prices all over but averaged around 250 and thought i got a deal at 175...how does it go...if it seems to good to be true then it probably is...one thing for sure...NOCO will be my last!

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If they trend at 250, and you spent 175... pass it forward and resell and get what you want.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,

NOTE;
Always fully charge batteries by themselves on a regular plug in charger. (Use your NOCO on each battery first)

The Pulsetech solar charger works better when the batteries are in top condition, and maintains them there.

NOTE #2;
Because the system is 24 volts, always use matched pair of batteries.

Zed254

Howdy,

NOTE;
Always fully charge batteries by themselves on a regular plug in charger. (Use your NOCO on each battery first)
OK, confused. What is wrong with charging the batteries with a 24volt NOCO through the NATO Slave receptacle ? Charging both batteries at the same time. I've done this a couple times ..... a little easier than single battery charging. What am I missing?

smokem joe

Always charge both batteries separately first. That makes sure they are 100% charged and neither one is bad before being put into service. After that is it fine to charge them on 24v together.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
A smart charger like the NOCO battery charger can monitor and charge each cell to its best ability. Each battery needs to be in its best shape when put into service. Same type, same chemistry, hopefully same date code, same manufacturer. When being charged at 24v in series, you lose some of the smart charging for each cell. So... even with charging and maintaining thru the slave port. (which I do) Sometimes I will disconnect my slave port adaptor and put the battery clips on and top off each battery individually to ensure all cells are taken care of. Just before I charge by itself, I will load test the battery then charge.

24v charging thru slave port

Guyfang

Staff member
since we are talking about battery chargers, let talk about a smart charger for my motorcycle. The latest of a bad choice of battery chargers I have ordered in the last 5 years went south for the winter. Now, I want a GOOD one. I am tired of buying crap. So what do you all think?

dav5

I have the noco genius 7200 smart charger and the noco gb70 battery booster and I love both of them. The noco 7200 is probably over kill for a motorcycle due to it having both 12 and 24v capabilities. The cheaper models with just 12v output would do the trick.

Last edited:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use the NOCO G750 as a maintainer on one of the generators I have here, it's been on there for a couple years now and I haven't had any issues with the battery. The generator came out of an RV so it doesn't actually have it's own 12V charging system, the G750 has no issues with the small draw of the generator while it's running either.
I do like the 7200 and the 15000 as well.

One nice thing about the NOCO stuff is there are connectors so you can unhook the clamps at the end. They make several other accessories that connect, for a motorcycle you can use the eyelet set and just hardwire it on, and unplug when you want to ride. The G750-G7200 all use the same connectors, the G15000 and G26000 use a larger type, not compatible.

Chainbreaker

since we are talking about battery chargers, let talk about a smart charger for my motorcycle. The latest of a bad choice of battery chargers I have ordered in the last 5 years went south for the winter. Now, I want a GOOD one. I am tired of buying crap. So what do you all think?
I have 6 of the Battery Minder 1500 charger maintainers permanently installed on all my gensets. Never had a problem with any of them in over 5 years of service. I have them on installed all of my 12V generator batteries (3 generators = 6 batteries). I especially like the temperature compensation and desulfation they offer in addition to other features.

Also, regarding the above discussion (posts # 71-74) of "initial" individual battery charging for 24V applications... Its my opinion that its better to use 12V charger/minders permanently installed. That way, for every generator, each 12V battery gets analyzed independently by its dedicated charger/minder and the right charge mode is applied to that battery and only that battery 24/7. Should a battery go bad the BatteryMinder will either accept or reject it so you know that battery has a problem (shorted cell, etc.). I am sure there are other comparable 12V battery maintainers (Battery Tender, etc.) that would work in a similar fashion. I am very happy with the 1500 BatteryMinders and the price was reasonable, considering the functionality/performance, @ ~$49 ea when I bought them. Note: The 1510 model (~$54) includes the ring terminals for hooking permanently to your battery.

Also, its fairly common knowledge but I will mention it for anyone not familiar...Should a generator's DC Voltage Regulator ever fail while running, you can plug the power strip used for your maintainer(s) into the genset's convenience outlet and continue running until such time the DC Voltage Regulator gets replaced.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks