• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cfish

Hello everyone. I just purchased my first MV. I bought a 1986 M1009 Cucv. So many questions. First where can one ge antennae mounts and Brush guards? Where are the best places for parts? ANd last, have I made a mistake? Should I have not gotten into this hobby?

197thhhc

First of all welcome . Second this is not a hobby, its an addiction. You dont get into it it invades you. Honestly you will love it and the CUCvs are great vehicles. You can find a lot of parts in the classifieds here, and at the advertisers here. Ebay is a good place also. Alot of your questions may have already been asked. Use the search button and read everything you can. there are a lot of very knowledgable people here. And they are always ready to help out with info. Good luck with your CUCV. MVs are like potato chips, You cant have just one. Ted:beer:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Parts are everywhere. I'd bet no on the mistake. Antenna mounts should be easy to find. For the grill guard PM twright-he has one. Saturn Surplus for starters for parts. There are many, many, many others.[thumbzup]

dave wells

HAHA welcome to the addiction buying an mv is never a mistake
as far as part the body is same as a k5 blazer i believe if im wrong some one correct me please and most everything else can be picked up at local part store like napa or autozone.....only parts tht cant are millitary specific like the mounts an brush guard ur lookin for check the classified adds

post up some pics of ur new toy lol :jumpin:

nopics

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
HAHA welcome to the addiction buying an mv is never a mistake
as far as part the body is same as a k5 blazer i believe if im wrong some one correct me please and most everything else can be picked up at local part store like napa or autozone.....only parts tht cant are millitary specific like the mounts an brush guard ur lookin for check the classified adds
Biggest thing is ALL the 24 V parts are different! (with brush guards/shackles, too).

cfish

Thanks Guys. I have learn to navigate around this site. By the looks of it I have a lot of reading to do. I am looking forward to refurbing this vehicle with my 13 year old son. ANd when he turns 16 it will be his.

67_C-30

Thanks Guys. I have learn to navigate around this site. By the looks of it I have a lot of reading to do. I am looking forward to refurbing this vehicle with my 13 year old son. ANd when he turns 16 it will be his.

Welcome to the board! I bought my first M1009 this year, and I drive it daily. I have a 2001 Z71 that I haven't driven in over a month!:cookoo: (seriously)

dunedigger

I couldn't find a brush guard locally for anything. Now I have three and one of them is a nos never installed brand new. I just keep getting more and more parts if I'm looking or not. I love the addiction (hobby) and I have a feeling if you bought a cucv already you have the intrest enough you will soon have three brush guards too, lol.

Barrman

It will start with a truck, then a web site. Next you will be emailing and writting pm's to other members here. Pretty soon you will be talking on the phone with a few. Then making a family trip to go get parts. Family vacations across the country to pick up parts will follow. You will realize once your son starts driving it that you will need spare parts. So, you will buy another. But, the parts truck isn't really that bad so you will re do it. Then another parts truck will come along. Plus a trailer. Then there will be a great deal on some other form of Green Iron and your collection of yard art will grow.

People will be able to identify you in town because you are the guy with "all the army trucks." GL and GSA will consume hours of your day as you look for parts and vehicles. When this site goes off line for a mere 5 minutes, you will start to panic and yell at people around you.

Nope, none of us have a problem. We can stop buying trucks anytime we want to.

Welcome to the party pal.

OL AG '89

It will start with a truck, then a web site. Next you will be emailing and writting pm's to other members here. Pretty soon you will be talking on the phone with a few. Then making a family trip to go get parts. Family vacations across the country to pick up parts will follow. You will realize once your son starts driving it that you will need spare parts. So, you will buy another. But, the parts truck isn't really that bad so you will re do it. Then another parts truck will come along. Plus a trailer. Then there will be a great deal on some other form of Green Iron and your collection of yard art will grow.

People will be able to identify you in town because you are the guy with "all the army trucks." GL and GSA will consume hours of your day as you look for parts and vehicles. When this site goes off line for a mere 5 minutes, you will start to panic and yell at people around you.

O.K. now Tim the guys in the WHITE Coats are here for your daily "BATH"....

He's exaggerating a little, left out some stuff and didn't explain how the neighbors will react....... but other than that.

Welcome to site.

Now GET IN, BUCKLE UP and HANG ON cause this hobby, sport, addiction is better than an E-Ticket ride at Six Flags

ps just bought my 3rd in less than a year, and YES I CAN stop buying anytime I want TOO....!:lol:

1stSarge

That is too funny... look what I just posted on Warthogs thread before I saw this one:

Seriously, how great is it, that I can meet a bunch of guys online and in a short time, be talking on the phone with them, and in less than a month be sharing a drink, hanging out, or helping out, all in an environment that is conducive of all of the above, in an atmosphere that you love, and in a way that makes the activity completely contagious.

I recently corresponded with Chris, and mentioned what a great thing that he started here was. But the thanks go way beyond that. Mike, Joe, Tim, Chris, Kip, Ed, Steve, Eric, and many more… you guys have affected my life in ways that I would not have thought possible before I discovered SS. Besides I love getting my coffee in the morning sitting down to see who got flamed by The Dog for not searching.
(kidding).:cool:

Barrman

A serious thing I couldn't figure out how to work into my funny post above was this. Without fail, the people I have met through the MV hobby are some of the best I have ever met. We all seem to have the same basic values, wierdly all seem to have the same non MV hobbies and interest. Mostly though, we all seem to be raising our children the same way.

When we have gatherings and the kids come along. Which is just about every time any of us go anywhere because we all involve our children in what we do. Within the first hour all the kids will have been told what is expected of them and that every adult is to be considered their boss. I have seen someone I had never met until the day before talk 8 kids with only 1 of them his through something such as a simple tune up or fix on a vehicle or weapon with all the kids saying yes sir and no sir. Then the pack of kids will move onto somebody cooking and that will turn into a lesson given by somebody else I see every 2-4 years.

I am not putting it into words very good, but the people and the way they conduct themselves in this hobby is something that has to be experienced to be believed.

combatmech

Welcome to the MV addiction support group. [thumbzup]
LMC, Classic parts, junk yards and sometimes ebay are your best bet for common Chevy parts. Ebay is also a source of CUCV specific parts. Some might be a little more than some would like to pay though.
On this site is TONS of FREE information!! Read every thing every chance you get. No such thing as a silly question...unless you dont ask and end up doing something silly to your truck. But beware....we have a few smart A#$'s around here, but they mean well.
Great group of folks here on SS ready and willing to help.
My truck isnt near done and I want another....Already.
Best of luck brother and welcome to the club!!:beer:

colelkhunter

Barrman forgot the parts when new found MV friend will tell you about another truck close to you that is for sale cheap and you can't sleep until you at least go look at it. No matter if you can afford it or not. Then comes the long discussions with the wife about the kids not really NEEDING to go to college and that money is just sitting there in the bank, when it could be invested into something with Tracks on it. You know they never depreciate! Then the upgrades.......Dear sweet baby Jesus the upgrades!!!!!! Gotta go work on my 1031, if I don't the clowns will eat me.