• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newest addition to our fleet -1975 mowag Roland

kcimb

Now need to:

Re arch springs
Change gearbox/drop box oil
New tires
Finish inside/exterior put back together PAAAINT
New seals
Redo interior seats
New periscopes and Vision Blocks
Build air filter assembly

The list is endless. But the good thing is it’s more or less running and driving

Side done

Front mostly done, then the top and other side

Slowly cracking away

kcimb

Another day

Exterior is 99% done. Some spots to touch up but it’s basically there. The drivers hatch and turret hatch are off.

Next week I will tackle the rock guards, touch ups, air filter setup, also, take one wheel off, take it to the rim guy, see about getting a non split rim tire.

Or maybe take the week off, I don’t know. My wife asks “what are you doing all day on the shop?”. It’s hard to explain mechanical things and the process of what I’m doing so I just say I’m playing with the tanks

beltfed1934

Your photos could be swapped w/mine from when I restored mine, and I'd never know the difference! Great Job, taking the gunner's seat, and driver seat out makes access a whole lot easier, the toughest things to get to on this vehicle are the master cylinders and clutch pedal cylinders, they are a PITA. Good job!
Austin

kcimb

Your photos could be swapped w/mine from when I restored mine, and I'd never know the difference! Great Job, taking the gunner's seat, and driver seat out makes access a whole lot easier, the toughest things to get to on this vehicle are the master cylinders and clutch pedal cylinders, they are a PITA. Good job!
Austin
Yours was a big motivation to get mine 100%. I just wanted more of a restoration and not the snazzy berlin camo. That was beyond my skills. Mine will be 100% in a few months.

kcimb

Austin
How on earth do the periscopes come out?

They are a nightmare!

kcimb

I promised folks I would spend the evening working and put the brdm back together and do a lot more work on the Roland.

Didn’t happen.

I did spend a bunch of time and remove old nasty rust and paint from the hull of the Roland. I felt it was too wet to paint right now.

Snapped four bolts getting this thing off. Water seeped into the threads and it was rusted and corroded badly. Time for penetrating oil and if that doesn’t work more helicoils /images/smilies/smiley_nosmile.gif

Cleaned up underneath and all inside the individual grill vents

Spent some time on the hull

If I spend about one night a week and 4-5 hours I can have this all done in a couple months.

I’m going to have to hammer the periscopes out. That’s what’s keeping me from finishing the outside right now.

Goal: Have a totally 100% turn key ride with no rust.

I'll get there eventually.

More progress!

Fitting a mechanical fuel pump to replace the electronic one.

Started cutting off the old Periscopes..to be continued

kcimb

Cleaning up some missed spots.

These were exposed to water and had some flash rust but a wire wheel and some drillin' and it's cleaned and suitable for painting.

Which it got.

This is the engine air intake cover.

This is the engine bay cover.

Turret hatch interior-painted, but I need to get a foam pad for it. When it hits your head it hurts.

Researching seals since I need 6 replacements-rear hatch, rear troop overhead, side doors, turret, and drivers station.

The periscopes normally have a latching mechanism but they were stolen off this vehicle. It also has a lot of rust and corrosion locking the periscopes in. I’ve been using penetrating oil to loosen it but no luck so far.

My angle grinder decided to give up the ghost and slowly started spinning slower and slower. It couldn’t handle the thick glass and plastic of the periscope.

Troop compartment overhead door seal fitting

Turret hatch seal measurement

Turret and drivers hatch are dimensionally similar seal wise. So I can order 2 rubber pieces and it will fit both.

kcimb

A friend came over and worked on converting it back to the original mechanical fuel pump. At some point a 12v in-line fuel pump had been installed. Less than ideal.

Once the reciprocating saw arrived I cut 80% of the periscopes out. I’m not sure how I’ll get the rest out since it’s pretty well nestled inside the mounts, but I may need to use a torch and/or air chisel to drive them out.

I can’t finish the exterior until tnose periscopes are out because I need to paint around them and inside the mounts.

kcimb

More work

Everything is going to be white so it’s easier to find stuff in the dark.

Going to start on the mid cabin in the morning when I get back.

I figure if I Do 2 hours a day I’ll be a bit closer to the goal of February.

kcimb

It wasn’t a ballsy cold day so work got done

Fuel pump and alternator reinstalled, just needing hose clamps

Floor boards and passenger seats cleaned up

Towards the rear of the vehicle

One day I’ll pull the fuel tank to clean it and redo it but not today.

Yes our leaf springs are bad-another thing to work on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks