• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newest addition to our fleet -1975 mowag Roland

kcimb

Progress update. I’m in the last 20% of the interior.

Ive been using a LOT of harbor fright tools lately, especially the Icon series tools. Unfortunately their weird sizing meant the 1/2 impact socket set didn’t have the 30mm socket I needed so I busted out ye olde Tekton which had it. Same kit ive had for years and has never let me down.

kcimb

So after countless painstaking hours of research and discussion with a Koni CS rep I did indeed successfully identify the Shocks on the roland AND get some specs for a baseline:

Model-88 1006

MinL – 331mm (13.03”)

MaxL – 502mm (19.75”)

Dust cover OD x Shock body OD – 64mm x 55mm

Damping forces – Tested at .33m/sec (13in/sec)

Compression – 300N

Rebound – 3450N

The 88 1006 went out of production in 2001 in Europe. The closest I have been able to find is this:

Brand:
Gabriel
Manufacturer's Part Number:
Part Type:
Shocks and Struts
Product Line:
Gabriel Heavy-Duty Shocks
Summit Racing Part Number:
GAB-89461
UPC:
Ride Height:
Custom
Extended Length (in.):
Collapsed Length (in.):
Adjustable Valving:
No
Gas Charged:
No
Upper Mount:
Eyelet
Lower Mount:
Eyelet
Bushing Material:
Rubber/Steel
Bushing Color:
Black
Boot Included:
Yes
Boot Color:
Blue
Body Diameter (in.):
Quantity:
Sold individually.

The upper OD is:

I checked front, rear, and in the front with the steering at full lock and no clearance issues what so ever. It's only .125 larger on both sides, 2.75 vs 2.51 OD. No issues with clearance at all. And unlike the brand Koni suggested to replace it this is only 80$ each shock. A bargain. The Koni 88s the CS rep suggested to replace the originals were about .75" larger so closer to not fitting and also 220$ each. The other models in the Gabriel 89400 model series were made for frieghtliners, class A motorhomes, GMC 4500/5000/5500 trucks, so I think these will be perfect for a "truck" grossing at 4700Kg max.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's exactly what it is. A smallblock chrysler LA 318 engine. They put these into smaller AFVs. Worked well.
I would've guessed a 360 due to the application, but a 318 is better on fuel and snappier than a 360, IME

kcimb

Not many updates since then but our plan is to have it ready by my birthday in July. Completely ready and the BRDM by the end of the year. Should be doable. This has been frustrating the holy hell bells out of me.

Since the last update I have gotten the springs re-arched to a more correct level of cushion and installed new shocks. Compare it to the ones earlier in the thread and it's night and day difference.

I realize my paintjob is absolutely atrocious. I realize now I should have left it alone and just focused on the mechanical bit.
IMG-3194.jpgIMG-3345.jpgIMG_9830_jpeg-3103266.jpg

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not many updates since then but our plan is to have it ready by my birthday in July. Completely ready and the BRDM by the end of the year. Should be doable. This has been frustrating the holy hell bells out of me.

Since the last update I have gotten the springs re-arched to a more correct level of cushion and installed new shocks. Compare it to the ones earlier in the thread and it's night and day difference.

I realize my paintjob is absolutely atrocious. I realize now I should have left it alone and just focused on the mechanical bit.
View attachment 920483View attachment 920484View attachment 920482
Hind sight is always 20/20. Don't be so hard on yourself. You are doing things MANY others would NOT! Progress, not perfection they say at groups I attend. THANKS for sharing with us here and if it is ready for the birthday? HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
How does one eat an elephant? One spoonful at a time!! Keep at it!!

kcimb

Hind sight is always 20/20. Don't be so hard on yourself. You are doing things MANY others would NOT! Progress, not perfection they say at groups I attend. THANKS for sharing with us here and if it is ready for the birthday? HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
How does one eat an elephant? One spoonful at a time!! Keep at it!!
Thanks! I will have it sandblasted and primer and painted professionally later.

The roland sits about 6" higher with the same tires and re arched leaf springs and new shocks.

The front steering gear is out so I can repaint the front hull.

Attachments

Bradym114

Thanks! I will have it sandblasted and primer and painted professionally later.

The roland sits about 6" higher with the same tires and re arched leaf springs and new shocks.

The front steering gear is out so I can repaint the front hull.
I dont know how well its sealed up, but it might be worth just sanding it down with a da. beacuse the sand blast sand will get in everywhere.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks