• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NHC 250 Block Heater Inst.(PICS)

Rkrug

I'm going to get one of these for my M923a1 and rig it up with a remote switch so I can turn it on from my computer up at the house so when I get to the shop it will be nice and warm.

Triple C

Did the Ebay part come with the cable and gasket? I saw some that didn't mention either?
Seemed like it did, though it was an out of the box item. Can't find it now anyway! I wonder why NAPA quoted me $95 and wheelspinner's order was $55! I called them back and they confirmed it at $95.

Barfkiller

I checked two NAPA stores (they are 30 miles apart) and the price difference was $8.00.

I used the block heater yesterday. I put it on an appliance timer. It came on 3.5 hours before I started my truck. The over night low was 22 degrees.
The truck started almost instantly. I think that next time I will try 2.5 hours and see how that works. At 1500 watts it may make a difference in the power bill if it was left on over night.
Oh, my truck only has two batteries connected. I killed the other two...(don't ask, it is embarassing).

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Napa has company owned stores and independents. They have various price level structures for their volume and professional customers. Prices will always be uneven due to who you know and how hungry they are that day due to sales volume. They also have a large overhead with salesman, reps, mgmt etc. Napa will never be the cheapest game as it takes lots of $ to keep the inventory they do. Average high volume Napa probably has 3x's inventory $ than your other typical retail outfit and can get s/o parts that day or next. All that cost $. Those trucks and drivers are also pricey.

Triple C

Thanks Wheelspinner, when I put the number starting with 6 in the napaonline site it says they won't ship it to me but when I put the number starting with 3 in it they will! That's the way to go! Appreciate it.

rrrr

Got the new batteries installed, wow what a difference. I also installed the block heater. Not difficult but drained out about 7.5 gallons of coolant to install. When I pulled the plate off I still lost about another 1/2 qt or so. I was pleased my coolant didn't look too bad. I did install a coolant filter system and replaced the filter 3 times in 2000 miles. Now I'm just waiting for some cold weather to try it out. Almost 70 here this weekend in Missouri !

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I got my magnetic block heaters I also picked up two 3-1 temperature outlets that allow power through when it gets below about 40 degrees. That way I can plug everything in and the heater only come on when it is cold and I don't have to worry about it.

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A few pictures of the install

I Installed the block heater today and found the toughest part was removing the old gasket. Napa matched the on-line price of $69.99 (Katz 30101 heater), picked up the day after ordering (Delevan, WI).

I found the coolant to be in pretty good shape, though I did see some rust at the tail end of draining (luckily, had my wifes Tuperware container on hand to catch the rusty coolant, which I won't be returning). I also used some blue RTV between the heater plate and gasket, then a bead around the opening.

Thank you for posting this value added upgrade. My M925 enjoys ether, but at 10 degrees, she was not going to start.

Heater 4.jpgHeater 3.jpgHeater 1.jpgHeater 2.jpgHeater 7.jpg

Triple C

My heater should be here in the next day or two, can't wait to get it on. I have a couple of questions though, swbradley1, how are those magnetic heaters working, where did you find them and how much were they? Question Neophyte, was that a total drain in those two buckets? Where did you drain from? Thanks guys for your help.

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My heater should be here in the next day or two, can't wait to get it on. I have a couple of questions though, swbradley1, how are those magnetic heaters working, where did you find them and how much were they? Question Neophyte, was that a total drain in those two buckets? Where did you drain from? Thanks guys for your help.
Yes, drained about 7 1/2+ gallons and about a pint when removing the access cover. To drain, open the petcock on the lower right side of the radiator. It will take a good 15-20 minutes to empty.

Rkrug

If you want it to drain faster I just un did the lower of the two hoses going to the heater core and shoved a hose that went into my bucket on to it. This drains most of the coolant but you still have to drain a little out of the valve on the bottom radiator.
make sure to use lots of good quality gasket sealant, I used some low quality stuff and it leaked so I had to drain and reseal it with a better quality stuff.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought two heaters today from NAPA. They quoted me $57 yesterday when I ordered them, and then when they came in a different guy wanted $67 for them. They ended up charging the $57 after a stare down. The part number is KAT30101.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I installed mine over holidays. Put in rear access hole but had to reverse the element in the plate as it came backwards. Agree, the hardest part was removing the old one - really 'stuck' on good.