• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NHC 250 Block Heater Inst.(PICS)

Triple C

Okay guys, my heater came in and I got it installed. I put blue RTF on both sides of the gasket and it says to let it sit for 24 hrs. Did you guys wait for the setup or what? I hate to leave two five gallon pails of antifreeze where something can get into it. I have it up out of the way but still. So how long did you wait before you put the antifreeze back in?

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I waited 2 hours to let it set up before putting coolant back in......no leaks as of yet. I did forget to tighten down the center nut on the element (where it plugs in)...saw a drip or two, though nothing when tightened up. It has been a couple days now and I haven't noticed any coolant leaking.

As a side note, the heater does a great job when plugged in for 2+ hours, starts right up. I left it on for 4 hours the 1st day after install.....melted the snow on the hood of the truck!!

Last edited:

Barfkiller

Plugged my heater in for 4.5 hours on a cold morning (overnight low was -12 !!) Melted most of the snow of the hood and the truck started right up. I only have two batteries! This is the best modification for the money.

Triple C

Thanks to all for this great thread. My heater came in from Globalpartspro, ebay $65 and free shipping. Took about an hour to put it in. I waited about four hours before I put the antifreeze back in and so far, no problems. Probably wouldn't have tackled it without all the positve comments and help here. Turned out to be one of the easier things I have done to the beast. I agree with Barfkiller, this is the best mod for the money.

joesco

Nice, when and if I get my M931, that will be one of the first upgrades. Have a warmed diesel engine in cold climates (like NH) extends its life quite a bit!

Scarecrow1

Triple C I had the same price given to me so I searched the napa on line store and it came up 69.99. It pays to shop around and thanks to members we can always find the best prices. This is why I like this site so much it's full of people just like us trying to find a better way ........

Triple C

Amen Mike, do you like how it works? I think I must have a fuel issue (think I am losing prime). I started the truck yesterday after being plugged in for three hours. It was 20 degrees out. I used the primer pump and it pushed air for about 30 seconds before fuel came out, I closed the pet cock and hit the starter. It started after about 30 seconds but certainly not on the first crank like I have heard some of the other guys trucks have. It DID start though and it never would have without ether at that temp before. BTW awesome avatar.

Scarecrow1

Thanks Triple C I have not ordered it yet to day is the first day I have not been able to get mine not to start. :( It hasn't been above the thirties today. I stopped by and just tried to start it for a minute and have no ether left wouldn't you know . So I started to try and find the ether replacement canisters with no luck at all, so for now I am dead in the water. I am sure it would start but I won't keep trying to start it just see if it will. I will have to try to see if a friend of mine in NJ may be able to find some in a truck stop up there . I tried several around the state and none even knew how to find them anymore . But this is SC and we don't really need them much. When I have time I will order and install one of the heaters like you did. My avatar is very similar to one I have tattooed on my arm in memory of my middle son who passed away in 2008 thankyou for the kind words ............

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Triple C I have not ordered it yet to day is the first day I have not been able to get mine not to start. :( It hasn't been above the thirties today. I stopped by and just tried to start it for a minute and have no ether left wouldn't you know . So I started to try and find the ether replacement canisters with no luck at all, so for now I am dead in the water.
As was said earlier, just give it whiff of starting fluid in the air intake before you start cranking. It'll fire off.

Scarecrow1

Triple C Thanks for your kind words and your advice, if it's not to much trouble could you find me the napa part number for your ether canister. I did ask about one from Napa they didn't even know what it was. Even did a search on line for it but must not be looking for it using the right words. Thanks my friend if you happen to run across it please let me know, I'm sure their are more that are having trouble locating it too...........

Scarecrow1

CUCVFAN Thank you for your post I hadn't forgot . I was just short on time and a little curious just to see if it started up with out ether in yesterdays cold. We were hopping to have a little snow (we didn't get it) and wanted to see if it would be ready to roll. Thanks again for the advice ...........

Triple C

Hey Scarecrow1, it looks like Neophyte came through for you on that part number at NAPA. If that doesn't work for you, let me know and I will stop by the store and get detailed information for you. Truck stops in S.C. probably don't carry them, some here in Mo. do and some don't. Even further south, I doubt it, though it may be worth checking. Equipment dealers are a good idea, some of the big ag tractors use them. I don't know if all the ether systems are the same on these MV's I would think so. The bottle I bought is exactly the same as a 1lb propane bottle, same theads and all. I even screwed a propane torch tip on to check (did not light it!) Napa charged me $50 for my bottle. Good luck friend.