• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NHC250 foreign object in cylinder.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I picked up this beautiful M931a1 for a former member here last Jan. 9.8 miles on the clock. Very nice truck. Drive shafts disconnected. Warning #1. Got it home and charged the batteries. Starter would just go CLUNK. Warning #2. Tried to bar the engine over. Wouldn't turn in either direction. Warning #3. Started pulling rocker boxes and injectors to see if she is hydrolocked. Number two looks very funny.

So anyway I pulled the head this weekend, and found this. Looks like something got into or was left after rebuild the #2 cylinder. It beat the tar out of it until the piston started to come apart in chunks. There is even a piece of ring in the top of the piston because the side of the piston is so bad. Melted aluminum everywhere. Engine is locked up hard. Worst part about all this, is you have to rotate the engine to take the torque converter off. So I will have to tip the engine onto its side and take the lower end loose to get the rear off. He purchased another 250 to go into it I just have to swap all the parts over.

Thought you guys would like to see the carnage. Some of the piston pieces even made it into the #1 cylinder.20140215_150440.jpg20140215_150424.jpg20140215_150412.jpg20140215_150416.jpg20140215_150509.jpg20140215_150501.jpg

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder if the injector on that cylinder was messed up and caused that cylinder to overheat instead of a foreign object?

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought of that Ty, but there is obvious ding marks in the top of the piston and in the head. Could be the dings in the head are from the piece of ring, but I pried it out so I'm not sure if it was free floating or not. The injectors all 'appear' fine. I know you can't really tell without pop testing however. The exhaust manifold is not nearly as sooty for #2 compared to the rest, and its not just the fact it has a coating of aluminum powder lol. Me thinks the piston started to come apart pretty quickly and plugged up the injector. There is actually a tight metal bowl over the injector hole with the imprint of an injector in the top. That would have either sealed off or at least messed up the spray and compounded the problem.

Yes, you 'should' be able to replace a piston and sleeve. (actually two, as the #1 got damaged as well) Engine might be rebuildable but for what a used 250 goes for not much in the way of cheaper.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had the engine out in under 2hr [thumbzup]

It's been this freaky weather, and other life things that are making it take forever to swap the parts onto the new engine and put it all back in.

Jim Timber

Yeah, this winter has been nuts. We're getting 40F tomorrow after 45 days with below zero temps this winter. Average temp this time of year should be mid 20's - we've been lucky to see double digits! But that warm spell is short lived - high for Sunday is 2. :cookoo:

Rifleman

Could the injector or injector feed for that cylinder of gotten restricted or plugged, to the point were it cut the fuel flow down causing a lean mixture. The mixture got so lean that that cylinder developed very high temps, causing the top of the piston to melt, the top ring land on the piston gave way allowing the piston ring to cock in the bore. The ring broke apart, the broken parts started bouncing around inside the cylinder causing the damage you found. Could it be that a part of that broken ring is seized between the piston and cylinder wall, keeping you from rotation the assembly?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lean condition doesn't cause problems in a diesel like it does in a gas engine. If a diesel leans out it just won't fire. The main thing that causes a melted piston in a diesel is leaking injectors dumping too much fuel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks