• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Niehoff N3030 Regulator/ M1078/ doesn't have flashing light capacity

Lugnuts

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Gents:
I need to pick up on an old post. The Double Alternator that I ordered still hasn't come so maybe I really need to take a look and heed advice from y'all. Earlier in this post it was stated to but a Niehoff 24 vdc alternator and then use a 12vdc convertor for the 12 vdc leg. Third from Texas and Ronmar posted their ideas and now I would love to hear some more and if possible some schematics as to how to do this. Thank you, Lugnuts

coachgeo

Hey Gents:
I need to pick up on an old post. The Double Alternator that I ordered still hasn't come so maybe I really need to take a look and heed advice from y'all. Earlier in this post it was stated to but a Niehoff 24 vdc alternator and then use a 12vdc convertor for the 12 vdc leg. Third from Texas and Ronmar posted their ideas and now I would love to hear some more and if possible some schematics as to how to do this. Thank you, Lugnuts
does not have to be Neihoff 24v. Just use a commercial 24v alt.

anyway..... Jerrit now makes a whole kit. Kit also can include AC bracket. Believe it includes serpentine belt upgrade as well.

it has been improved since this article

if your not member of that group here is his personal page for contact

Ronmar

How much room do you have under the passenger dash? I got an extremely good deal on the converter I shoe-horned under my dash. But a Victron orion 70A 24-12 would fit to the kick panel very easy in most cases

Under the dash is the best IMO as it can be connected up easily with a few short jumper wires and it is way way up above any water and out of the weather. i got the jumpers at a local autoparts store after I measured the lengths i needed to reach between converter and power points.

I put a disconnect sw on the 24v feed on mine, but the victron has a remote control sw option so is easilly controlled from a dash switch.

I talk about how I wired mine in this video.

Lugnuts

Steel Soldiers Supporter
does not have to be Neihoff 24v. Just use a commercial 24v alt.

anyway..... Jerrit now makes a whole kit. Kit also can include AC bracket. Believe it includes serpentine belt upgrade as well.

it has been improved since this article

if your not member of that group here is his personal page for contact
Thank you. I submitted a request with FaceBook and I'll take a look at this. I can't express it enough how much I appreciate getting educated by you's guys.

coachgeo

Thank you. I submitted a request with FaceBook and I'll take a look at this. I can't express it enough how much I appreciate getting educated by you's guys.
what is your facebook name? I can expedite a member request in that group... hmmmmmm.... is it xxx Ludwig?

coachgeo

Yep, answer ALL the questions:)
and check the box that says a person will follow the rules. that gets missed often. IOS, Android and/or the browser being used can affect where that final box or similar is the individual has to click about rule following.... may be beginning.. may be at end??? so scroll thru the rules provided when applying... or you will likely miss the spot to check off and thus get denied membership.

Lugnuts

Steel Soldiers Supporter
and check the box that says a person will follow the rules. that gets missed often. IOS, Android and/or the browser being used can affect where that final box or similar is the individual has to click about rule following.... may be beginning.. may be at end??? so scroll thru the rules provided when applying... or you will likely miss the spot to check off and thus get denied membership.
New one sent! Thank you

Lugnuts

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How much room do you have under the passenger dash? I got an extremely good deal on the converter I shoe-horned under my dash. But a Victron orion 70A 24-12 would fit to the kick panel very easy in most cases

Under the dash is the best IMO as it can be connected up easily with a few short jumper wires and it is way way up above any water and out of the weather. i got the jumpers at a local autoparts store after I measured the lengths i needed to reach between converter and power points.

I put a disconnect sw on the 24v feed on mine, but the victron has a remote control sw option so is easilly controlled from a dash switch.

I talk about how I wired mine in this video.

Ronmar,
Thank you for the video on your conversion and I gleaned a whole bunch from that. I have question as well as your counsel on this subject.
I am working with no space in the under dash compartment as the Fire Departments have already utilized that for fuse panels and a place for all sorts of wire junctions. I have on some units when asked to wire them utilized the space where the heater is. This is Florida and just not needed. So I have removed the heater and hoses corresponding with it and that has made a wonderful area for fuses, switches, etc.
The question I have is are the Vanner and Victron units solid state, as in water very resistant. The reason I ask is that I thought that maybe a good place for me to wire that in would be at the polarity box itself. Yes, it would be subjected to outdoor weather but it would have breathing space for cooling since I am running more of a load with emergency lights and communications. I figure I would have to have the 70 to 100 amp box. If the unit needs to be switched on first I can always work that out with a double throw ignition switch.
What do you think and I do value y'alls opinion.
Lugnuts

Ronmar

Using it in place of the polarity box would also be a logical location for the vanner. It has IPX and ANSI/IEC specs for weather, rain, pressure wash and immersion exposures. IMO it is at least as water-proof as the polarity box is. Putting it in place of the polarity box would also be fairly simple wiring. I have lost count of how many electrical issues I have consulted on that led to issues in that location though, all due to corrosion and deterioration… providing 12V or installed as a balancer it would still need a 24V cutoff sw to remove its drain from the system when not in use.

The Victron is not waterproof and the only location it can be placed is IN the cab. The Victrons can also operate in parallel, so you could add more units to increase 12v capacity beyond 70A, but in the cab is still best for that one…