• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NikeAjaxHercules Missile Systems

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
GREAT THREAD [thumbzup]
Adding to our understanding of history is a good thing around here.

I am reminded that I NEED a missle silo :cookoo:

There's just something "attractive" about the whole "subterrainian" thing that I find interesting. The safety and energy efficiency factors are also cool.... and like any surplus bought from "uncle", you just never know what you're going to find "left behind" in a toolbox, under a tarp or in a BUNKER :shock:rofl

Bighurt

GREAT THREAD [thumbzup]
Adding to our understanding of history is a good thing around here.

I am reminded that I NEED a missle silo :cookoo:

There's just something "attractive" about the whole "subterrainian" thing that I find interesting. The safety and energy efficiency factors are also cool.... and like any surplus bought from "uncle", you just never know what you're going to find "left behind" in a toolbox, under a tarp or in a BUNKER :shock:rofl
Sadly fewer and fewer silos are making it to civilian hands. Much of the Minuteman silos that were deactivated, were imploded.

You can occasionally find old atlas and titan complexes available, Titan is the silo to have...talk about a big hole!

Not to mention the capsule that was directly connected.

Don't get me wrong I'd take a Minuteman Silo but the creme of the crop is long gone.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are a number of silos out here in west Texas. Occasionally one goes up for sale. (Outta my price range, but so is an M-1 Tank)

There is a former PAVE PAWS radar sight south of here that is rumored to have a nice undergound complex, but it's been Pickled / Mothballed and is still Uncle's properly. I'll just have to wait for GL to auction it off.

Here are some links....

AN/FPS-115 PAVE PAWS Radar

8th SPACE WARNING SQUADRON Eldorado AFS, Texas
BTW: our Deuce come was formerly owned by Schleicher County and was on loan to their Eldorado, TX Volunteer Fire Dept before we bought it.

PAVE PAWS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Former Eldorado Air Force Station AN/FPS-115 PAVE PAWS Radar

PAVE PAWS Intercontinental Missle Defence - Google Earth Community

Bighurt

There are a number of silos out here in west Texas. Occasionally one goes up for sale. (Outta my price range, but so is an M-1 Tank)

There is a former PAVE PAWS radar sight south of here that is rumored to have a nice undergound complex, but it's been Pickled / Mothballed and is still Uncle's properly. I'll just have to wait for GL to auction it off.

Here are some links....

AN/FPS-115 PAVE PAWS Radar

8th SPACE WARNING SQUADRON Eldorado AFS, Texas
BTW: our Deuce come was formerly owned by Schleicher County and was on loan to their Eldorado, TX Volunteer Fire Dept before we bought it.

PAVE PAWS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Former Eldorado Air Force Station AN/FPS-115 PAVE PAWS Radar

PAVE PAWS Intercontinental Missle Defence - Google Earth Community
We have a Pave Paws site here in Cavalier North Dakota, it's a remote assignment...LOL

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have a Pave Paws site here in Cavalier North Dakota, it's a remote assignment...LOL
As those links point out, our PAVE PAWS was deactivated and sent to Alaska. The structures remain though.

One interesting side note....
Several months ago, when the Texas authorities seized all those kids from the "cult" at the Yearning For Zion ranch ("FLDS" an off-shoot of the Morman religion) near Eldorado, TX.... that "ranch" is located just about 3.8 miles due south of the PAVE PAWS location at the Eldorado AFS.

crazyplowboy

Here's a few pictures of my XM261 Booster Transporter trailer when I found it a few years ago. It has been cleaned off, but I now have the bed of my deuce setting on it until I am done with my restoration.

Attachments

Kilroy_MAKO

Hello,

I'm a young guy (25) I grew up in a small town called Lawson, Mo. Stationed just outside of town is a NIKE Missile Base ID as KC-10L. This facility was tasked with guarding Kansas City, where I live now.

After this facility was "decommisioned" the Lawson School District purchased the facility and it was, in turn, where I went to kindergarten. Around 93, the school sold it to a local guy who still owns it.

A friend of mine and myself contacted this man and worked out an agreement to rent that facility for hosting Military Simulation Airsoft Events. We spent weeks "restoring" the compound (we rented the Radar/Barracks portion). Ceiling Tile, buckled roofs, deteriorating insulation, broken glass, desks for the school building days, were everywhere.

The place had been gutted of anything of value by local vandals. However, the main exoskeleton of the complex still stands. During this clean up we located an inspection sheet framed on a wall saying this facility specifcally housed Ajax and Hercules missiles.

As it stands now, We can see the floors in all the buildings build up some walls, some living quarters, office cubicles etc. I'm not as active in the restore of this particular facility anymore but once a year I do host a MilSim Night Insertion Airsoft Event.

Trying to find any information on these facilities has been hard in the past, this thread was very helpful and will increase the state of play at this years OP in October. So, Thank you for that.

My buddy still rents the place and hosts speedball type airsoft games two or more times a month. If you live close to the KC area and would like the see the facility I'm sure you can get ahold of him without any issue @ www.tacticalairsoftbase.com/forums. Contact Tazz (Richard Napier).

Link to Missile Elevators: Google Maps

Link to the Radar/Admin portion (roughly 1mile+ apart): Throw this into Google Maps: 39.415391,-94.174397

For info on the events my organization hosts at this still standing facility: www.makoevents.com

Thanks once again for all the info!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks