• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No answers

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As you have found, many people come here with questions to a problem and NEVER post the results/outcome. It isn't just this website. It is the internet in general.

And then you get the peanut gallery adding useless junk to the threads.

It would be nice to make stickies for each issue/solution but then you will have pages of stickies to read thru. A lot of people won't even read the stickies first. :-(

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A lot of people won't even read the stickies first. :-(
Like the insurance sticky.

On searching, I went looking for something that should have been easy this morning, spent 30 minutes and gave up. I'll bet one of the other mods on here could find it in a heartbeat but if I can't find it no biggie. I don't post a new search thread or question every time I have a question like some members like to do.

skinnyR1

I think that what many fail to realize, when flaming people for posting "previously asked threads" is that if those questions aren't asked again, in some capacity, then the forum will never have any new threads!

And the original poster is right. Yes, the question may have been asked before, but that is the extent of it. Not necessarily answered in a direct fashion, other than someone pointing out that it was asked before.

It helps noone to point out they fact that the thread was asked before, and to use the search. Strike up a new conversation in a new thread, look at it that way.

rustystud

OK guys, maybe I let a little of my frustration come out in the last post, but after all that reading night after night (I work swing shift, so not much to do when I get home except watch the boob-tube or read ) and no real answers I could take to the bank, and then to be told to read the posts ! that got to me !:x
I'm feeling better now.;)

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its happens and no problems Rusty. We all go to the mad house sometimes,that's what makes us humans. at least were not dull and uninteresting, it's good to stir the pot once in a while.

By the way it keeps the mods on their toes. Lol

Last edited:

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are no answers here. All you will find on this (or any) forum are opinions, which is not a bad thing if you understand the difference between opinion and truth.

What each of us must do is read, learn and implement our best judgement. And share the results.

Rick

JasonS

Last night I finished reading the threads in the modified deuce section. After all that reading I came away with some great ideas for my deuce and a lot of questions .

One: there are about as many ideas on tires and what will fit and how it will fit and what it will fit as there are members to this site ! Maybe someone who has tried all these combinations can come up with a sticky that will tell what will fit, how it will fit and what it will fit ! and what tire makes the most sense money wise .

Two: No one has come up with a definitive answer that explains the difference in the LDS and LDT engines and the increased HP of the LDS . Everyone has a guess or someone said or someone told me , but no true answers. The one about the pistons and oil spraying I can answer. I worked on the MAN engines for years and they have a oil galley in the piston that is feed from the rod end and exits through a metered hole which sprays the cylinder walls. I once cut in half a MAN piston to see for myself this galley. It is underneath the top of the dome itself and really does cool the piston top. I'm sure the Multifuels use something along those lines . So what else is the difference between these engines ? Bigger injectors ? higher injection pressure ? higher compression ? ( doubtful ) , cam timing ? ( again doubtful ) , what ???

Three: More speed, how to get there. Bigger tires, overdrive transmission, auxiliary transmission, raised fuel , which is the best for durability, longevity, and cost ? Some say the stock 9.00X20 tires are not as strong as the newer 395's or the HEMMIT's or the whatevers . Truth ? What about braking after installing larger tires. Some say no difference, others say "DANGER WILL ROBERTSON". Who knows for sure ? Who has run there rigg long enough to inform the rest of us ? What about fuel mileage ?

These are just some of the questions I have come away with.
I'm reading the regular deuce section now (on number 60 ). Maybe there will be more answers there, or just more questions. We will see.
This has really been covered well but some keep posting incorrect information which confuses new members. Most of the differences "suggested" in an earlier post in this thread are wrong.

There is no magic difference between the LDT and LDS and no reason why you can't get LDS power out of your LDT. The pump can be turned up. The wastegate turbe is a bit better but it is not THAT big of a big difference (I have used nearly every turbo possible). The LDS eventually got the 2-hole nozzles. The extra piston cooling squirter was for LOW quality oil in the fifties to prevent ring sticking (Has anyone had this problem with fuel turned up?). The compression is the same across all multis. The LDT and LDS-1 have the same timing. Again, no magic in the LDS. Don't over-think ~40 measly horsepower!

I think that is the one huge downfall of this forum, I have seen it on other forums but no where near as bad as here. New members (like me) come often and have new takes on how to do things and could be better. If you wanted a search only forums you might as well just make it a blog that no one can answer to or a information page and call it a day. That's what a forum is for, to talk and meet new people.

Now I do agree searching needs to be done as well. But days or weeks is a little relentless.

rustystud

This has really been covered well but some keep posting incorrect information which confuses new members. Most of the differences "suggested" in an earlier post in this thread are wrong.

There is no magic difference between the LDT and LDS and no reason why you can't get LDS power out of your LDT. The pump can be turned up. The wastegate turbe is a bit better but it is not THAT big of a big difference (I have used nearly every turbo possible). The LDS eventually got the 2-hole nozzles. The extra piston cooling squirter was for LOW quality oil in the fifties to prevent ring sticking (Has anyone had this problem with fuel turned up?). The compression is the same across all multis. The LDT and LDS-1 have the same timing. Again, no magic in the LDS. Don't over-think ~40 measly horsepower!
Jason, is this really the difference ? Just turn-up the pump and watch your EGT's ? If that's all there is to it , I'm going to blow a gasket ! All the searching and manual reading and that's it ? Why didn't someone say this earlier ?

JasonS

Jason, is this really the difference ? Just turn-up the pump and watch your EGT's ? If that's all there is to it , I'm going to blow a gasket ! All the searching and manual reading and that's it ? Why didn't someone say this earlier ?
The LDS troubleshooting manual has instructions for setting the fuel rate to get rated horsepower. Basically, you set the fuel rate for 9.8psi manifold pressure at 2400 rpm. I have the LDS turbo and, with a bypassed FDC, I get 13 psi which is the point at which the wastegate opens (I get 13 psi below 2000 rpm). I'd argue that I have more horsepower than the LDS factory setpoint. I got similar boost with the D turbo but the temps seem to come up slower and stay lower with the wastegate turbo. But again, my fuel rate is higher than the LDS setpoint. I plan to turn the fuel down to get 10 psi boost and be happy with it. So, I see no reason why you cannot get LDS power with your LDT.

rustystud

The LDS troubleshooting manual has instructions for setting the fuel rate to get rated horsepower. Basically, you set the fuel rate for 9.8psi manifold pressure at 2400 rpm. I have the LDS turbo and, with a bypassed FDC, I get 13 psi which is the point at which the wastegate opens (I get 13 psi below 2000 rpm). I'd argue that I have more horsepower than the LDS factory setpoint. I got similar boost with the D turbo but the temps seem to come up slower and stay lower with the wastegate turbo. But again, my fuel rate is higher than the LDS setpoint. I plan to turn the fuel down to get 10 psi boost and be happy with it. So, I see no reason why you cannot get LDS power with your LDT.
Thanks Jason, I appreciate the help a lot ! I have the D turbo, so what kind of temps where you getting from yours ? and was it worth the cost going to the LDS turbo ?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess you missed the point of this thread?

JasonS

Thanks Jason, I appreciate the help a lot ! I have the D turbo, so what kind of temps where you getting from yours ? and was it worth the cost going to the LDS turbo ?
I lucked out and got two freshly rebuilt wastegate turbos from ebay for $150 each. I had the other installation parts from an earlier, defective turbo setup. In this case, it was worth it.

I don't know that my temperatures will be comparable since I have always had a full, rear exit exhaust which probably increases backpressure. I do plan to try the stack later in the spring to see how it compares.

JasonS

According to the TM's the LDS is 195 hp, the LDT is 139, and the plain LD-465 is 134.
195 at 2850rpm for LDS465-2 (however, the torque is the same as the LDS465-1 suggesting that it is only being spun faster to get the horsepower increase).
175 at 2650 for LDS465-1

JasonS

And that's just from injector pump differences and the oilers in the pistons?
The LDS piston cooling channel only decreases piston top ring temperature by 100°F (only 50% of the squirted oil makes it into the channel). From a paper on the multifuel: "Oil is circulated through this annulus to reduce the temperature of the ring groove and thereby eliminate the requirement for high additive oil to prevent excessive ring groove carbon formulation." This was written in 1964 and clearly oil is much better today.