• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No answers

I'm glad your getting some answers/opinions as to what works and what doesn't.

As for the forum talk... sorry I'm bringing this back up... I have been on several forums and stickies are where it's at.
Most of the time a generous moderator that wants to kill several hours for the good of the forum will choose a particular job/task and document it with pictures. Then they will explain how to do this very clearly with words and the pictures so an ape could do it (more often than not, a dumb ape should already know how to do it). They will post it and sticky it for newbie guys (like me) can easily see it and go do it. This helps filter out the dumb questions because most other forums are made for one specific vehicle. This means that the major sections are: Tires/rims, Engine, Tranny, Axles, Exterior, Interior, etc.... And on and on it goes. Then you look under Tires/rims and boom, sticky of how to change your tires, what size fits, what sizes need modification to fit at stock, what will fit with lift, etc...
The difference with this forum is the vast area and vehicles it covers. There isn't enough room to have all these different aspects specified for each vehicle.
Another thing is, from what I gather, the TM's are basic "stickies" per say that should answer the basic crap. So when someone asks a question, they are moderately flamed because everyone thinks you should at least read through all the TM's before asking.
Problem: Everyone wants fast answers now. Also, most guys hate reading (I'm lisdexic and HATE reading anything... especialty if I don't have much knowledge of it to begin with) so the idea of reading through all the TM's sounds pretty terrible.
But, If your going to own a machine this big, you would be a fool to not do your research and know it as well as possible before driving it often. It is not just another truck... It's a deuce.

All that being said, I would love it if someone were to take the time to make stickies of "How-to" basic maintenance/upgrades of these beasts. I learn so much better with real pictures. It would get rid of a good amount of stupid questions. But also, we need to read the TM's and be familiar with our machines. After returning to the states and being familiar with whatever MV I get (yeah, I don't own one... yet) I plan on making "how-to" posts that will hopefully become stickies to help out the noobs. And I'm sure I will post one and be dog piled with people saying "That's not right, it's THIS way... etc..." And I'm ok with that because then it is on the forum and all have easy access to it. Mission accomplished. There is more than one way to skin a cat.

P.S.
Don't crucify me... I'm really trying to help!!!

rustystud

Also, the man joined in September 2011 and has only 76 posts... He is probably a Jedi of searching. Just throwing that out there...
Thanks BlackNoma, As I said in the first post, I just finishing reading ALL the posts in the deuce section, and I own almost all of the manuals out there to own except the "ORD 9 SNL G742" . That one I haven't been able to get my greasey mitts on yet !
The questions I wanted answered are not in the manuals as they are modifications to the Duece , not original Military. There are some that can be answered by comparison to other engines like the LDS to LDT engine, but most can only be answered by people who have modified there riggs and know what works and what doesn't. The tire issue seems to be just a personal preference not based on facts much. Though if enough people like something, that say's a lot right there.
A note to the moderators: a lot of the information in the older posts is gone. Maybe they should be gone through and deleted. It is pretty hard to understand something when all the comments are about some picture that is not available. "WOW look at that ! Look how he mounted that ! Isn't that awesome ! " Maybe it was awesome, I'll never know.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A note to the moderators: a lot of the information in the older posts is gone. Maybe they should be gone through and deleted. It is pretty hard to understand something when all the comments are about some picture that is not available. "WOW look at that ! Look how he mounted that ! Isn't that awesome ! " Maybe it was awesome, I'll never know.
That point is exactly why the owner of this site wants all pictures to be hosted here. The problems arises when a member posts pictures and links to another site. If he ever deletes the pictures, moves to another software, etc, the pictures are gone and the thread in meaningless.

There is absolutely no way for the moderators to sift thru every thread. On a daily basis, the few threads I happen to read thru, I and "fixing" the linked pictures and moving them to this site.

Last edited:

The King Machine

Rustystud:

Here is my opinion on some of the questions you asked. I can only comment on the certain modifications I made to my truck.

One: Tires and Rims. I went with the 395 XML tires, I ran them for a year on the stock rims in all off road/ on road conditions. I found the tires to be a positive improvement for the trucks ability off road. However running the stock rims had a couple down sides, one was reduced turning radius. In particular right hand turns where the wider XML tire would contact the steering linkage. The stock rim offset is not ideal for the larger tires. I have since installed a set of the HEMTT rims, I run the adapter plates on the out side of the rim. This helps a little to keep the tires tucked under the front wheel well but the down side is it can make the valve stems a little tricky to get at. The HEMTT rim brought the front tire out and away from the frame/ steering linkage and vastly improved my steering radius. By far the best improvement I have made. I have found ZERO ill effects on my braking system due to the larger tires, mind you if the truck was running at maximum loaded weight you might see some changes in performance. I agree with gimpy Rob, I can lock all 4 rear tires on demand.

Two: Can't really help you with defining the difference between the LDS and LDT.
In regards to the LDT I am running. I have installed a pyro and turned the fuel up.
I monitor my EGTs and keep them below 1200. Also clean fuel/air filters, solid injectors help keep her running with good power.

Three: More speed can be a dangerous endeavor. One must keep in mind the design parameters did not include having the truck move faster. The drive train and lack of ABS won't facilitate to much more top end speed. That being said with a good operator behind the wheel a little extra top speed won't hurt. I noticed 15km per hour increase in top end speed when I put the 395's on, which puts me at about 98 km per hour or 60.894mph at 2400 RPM. Good enough for me.

Fuel consumption: I found 4 major factors that seem to drastically affect fuel milage. The obvious one was turning up the fuel pressure. You will be using more fuel pretty straight forward. The second is the condition of the fuel/air filters, clogged filters seemed to cause my econemy to drop. Third is whether or not the the truck is hauling a load, more noticeable on longer drives.
Last is tire pressure, low tire pressure I have found to be the number one fuel economy variable.

This is just my opinion.

rustystud

Thanks "King Machine" , that was all I was asking for, regular guys who have done the mods so that they can speak with some authority on the subject.
Warthog, you are dead-on about posting off site. Some threads are over 5 years old, but since they posted pictures to this site you can still understand what was being talked about . I also understand how difficult it would be to go and find all the useless threads. I just spent 2 years reading them ! Now I have to go back and read the new ones posted since I started reading !