• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

no data plate

ruSSrt

Hey guys,

While working on my humvee i want to start looking in to getting it registered and get the process going. When i bought it it didn't have "vin" number because plate was damaged. When i got it and looked at it the plate is there, but its clean, like brand new, with no markings on it. So i wasn't able to get SF97 before and looks like i dont have a vin now. DO i need SF97, would this going to be a problem for me? How can i get vin for my truck?

DanM7890

Hate to be that guy but it's going to be very hard without any paperwork because the VIN is gone. Only way I can think of is have a VIN put on it like a self built car.

MaverickH1

What document do you have that says you own the car?

If you have no SF97 and no title and no bill of sale and no serial number... the DMV will likely put you through the ringer because it might be a stolen vehicle.

If they have a hard time with the 6 digit serial number being your VIN, some states have a process where you are assigned a VIN. So you'd have to look for that process. But that will be pointless if you don't have a way to show that you legally own the car.

ruSSrt

well ... so far only paperwork i have from them is receipt that i paid for A m998 vehicle.
I guess first process would be is to contact GP to get some kind of paperwork from them.

MaverickH1

If this was recently purchased, it takes some time to get paperwork from GP after the EUC has been approved. The EUC approval usually kicks them off to start the SF97 process. From their perspective, there's no need to transfer ownership until they know you can own it, so that's why that process waits.

So you should get SOMETHING from them. After the auction you probably had a window to select whether that was a Bill of Sale or an SF97.

I recommend contacting them to see if you will be getting something and what it will be.

As far as not having a serial number on the data plate, that would likely require a VIN assignment and some sort of inspection which will depend on the local laws in your state.

DanM7890

Without a serial number, I'm guessing cheaper than normal. I can see GP not giving you any paperwork for it. If they don't know the SN, they're not going to run around to find it.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Body number is different, but sometimes close....no chassis number.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was the truck purchased from GP?
if no SN, they would not be issueing you an SF97 as there is nothing to reference too on the SF97.
IMO they should not be allowed to sell a vehicle without an SN unless it's sold as parts only and they just provide a bill of sale. If you bought it form someone else...they willl not issue an SF97 except to the original purchaser I believe.
your best bet is to use the "Body number" on the A-pillar, then you can get the data plate stamped and it will have 2 places that the "new" vin" appears, body and data plate. Then have the vin verified and certified.
i had this done by CHP in calif....CHP just didn't want to reassign a new vin but use what was on the Body....even though it was NOT a VIN per se...

jeffy777

Hey guys,

While working on my humvee i want to start looking in to getting it registered and get the process going. When i bought it it didn't have "vin" number because plate was damaged. When i got it and looked at it the plate is there, but its clean, like brand new, with no markings on it. So i wasn't able to get SF97 before and looks like i dont have a vin now. DO i need SF97, would this going to be a problem for me? How can i get vin for my truck?
I imagine it is a GP truck. They normally have a bunch of stickers from various tracking by the government. Often there is a shipping sticker from the military that also has the serial number. Look above the steering wheel to the left on the frame around the windshield, I have seen these stickers a number of times. Then you can go to Eastern Surplus and get a data-plate and rebuild your data plate.

MaverickH1

I imagine it is a GP truck. They normally have a bunch of stickers from various tracking by the government. Often there is a shipping sticker from the military that also has the serial number. Look above the steering wheel to the left on the frame around the windshield, I have seen these stickers a number of times. Then you can go to Eastern Surplus and get a data-plate and rebuild your data plate.
That's a great point. I have a bar code sticker just under the gauges on the right side underneath the dash board that has my serial number on it.

ruSSrt

Thank you guys.

Yes truck was purchased from GP.

I called them today and guy on the phone send me a form to request the SF97. He also said that i will not have problem with getting vin number from them, it'll just take a while to process. I paid $53 today over the phone and submitting my paperwork as we speak. SO will see where that will lead me to.
He also mentioned that because there is no information on data plate at all i will get to choose which year my truck is......

any thoughts on that? should i go with original 85-87 in case if i want to go easy route and register my m998 as collectors vehicle or get newer year for better resale value?

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks