• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

no data plate

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you guys.

Yes truck was purchased from GP.

He also mentioned that because there is no information on data plate at all i will get to choose which year my truck is......

any thoughts on that? should i go with original 85-87 in case if i want to go easy route and register my m998 as collectors vehicle or get newer year for better resale value?
EDIT - Every frame number can be shown to have a date of manufacture... Why not look at that. Engines are frequently swapped and rebuilt but a frame is a frame is a frame. While having a title that reads 1986 might be preferable, the frame indicates the true date of manufacture and is easy to prove.

My former reply is being deleted.

Last edited:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's not that you get to "decide", what year it is. GP will defer to your "research" as the what year it is.

If you're making the year determination arbitrarily to influence value, this can come back and bite you later.

My suggestion- take the date code off the engine and use that, as long as it falls within the plausible time frame for truck manufacture.

ruSSrt

I'll keep you guys posted on what reply from GP i'm going to get. I will look for frame stamp or any other kind of identification.

I dont want to do anything shady or against the laws. And because i'm going to keep the vehicle i dont care what year its going to show/come up with.

I know for sure that at one point my engine was changed because i have big melton sticker on it.

ruSSrt

today i got reply from them

We have reviewed your item number. It appears you have not selected a titling option during checkout. Since these are government surplus items they have never been titled so we have to create registration documentation for these items. I have attached an SF-97 Request form to this email. This item is missing the year and serial number which means our inspectors could not view the year or serial number on the data plates or there was a discrepancy. In these cases we issue a request form to the buyer. The buyer can then contact the manufacturer, run and internet search or provide us the missing information from their knowledge and we can create the registration documentation/SF-97. Once you have filled out the documents please email to customerservice@govplanet.com or fax to 844.660.3199 and then contact customer care to complete the purchase of your registration documentation. It can take up to 30 days to create registration documentation.

Thank you and Best Regards.
So..... what are my options now.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, do you have ANY markings on your truck that may be a number? Spray painted letter/number combo starting with NG or NL somewhere on the lower A Pillar? Any documents adhered to the truck? Paperwork shoved under the back seat? Anything?

The truck couldn't have been turned in without a serial number... unless some really random obscure circumstances that are so rare, it's not going to happen.

Your truck has a serial number, we just need to find it. I/We are here, and can help. I've got access to a lot of systems. Let's see what we can do.

ruSSrt

today i'm going on the quest to find some numbering on my truck.
I do have unit number painted on tailgate and hood........ but i will crawl around to find something

Action

The a-pillar number that bikeman mentioned is in the cab and big, maybe 2" high letters/numbers. Sit in the driver seat. Find the lower half of your left leg. The code will be between your knee and foot (below the headlight switch). You can check the passenger side for the same thing.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, I just got off the phone with him. Sounds like the USMC decided to completely paint the truck prior to sending it to DRMO. There's no additional stickers or anything besides a USMC reg Number on the tailgate. I've given him some recommendations on how to proceed.

ruSSrt

Thank you gentleman! i'll have to do some research and leg work now to figure this one out

Bikeman! thank you for your call!!!

jeffy777

So, I just got off the phone with him. Sounds like the USMC decided to completely paint the truck prior to sending it to DRMO. There's no additional stickers or anything besides a USMC reg Number on the tailgate. I've given him some recommendations on how to proceed.
Bikeman, I would like to thank you. The effort and care and decency you showed was really nice. You are quite a man, I salute you! :)

javiertrucios

Hi Guys I purchased 1989 H1 and i been trying to get a tittle and I went to motor vehicle and is almost impossible i live in New York. Can someone please help me to see what's the best way to get a tittle for this vehicle. I purchased it through Iron Planet

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks