• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No Garage, Need Insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Hot topic recently and it's probably going to get hotter.

I need an insurance carrier that covers a deuce (historic, over 10,000 lbs) and DOES NOT REQUIRE GARAGE STORAGE.

Any commercial insurance companies that don't require a CDL that would cover this?

STANDARD PASSENGER INSURANCE IS A NO GO. Don't want to hear Geico, USAA, All State, etc. They do not officially insure vehicles over 10K.

There definately appears to be a GVW gap between personal insurance and commercial insurance that needs filled.

There also appears to be a sense of realism added to the insurance industry for folks to have vehicles and not have a huge garage to store them in.

kiotiugly

I have insurance through Farm Bureau (in my case, Kentucky Farm Bureau). My agent is fully aware of what the vehicle is - it's not the only one they insure - and there is no requirement of a garage. I don't know if there is a Farm Bureau in your area or not.

Also, you don't have to have a farm, but in Kentucky at least, you do have to pay a yearly $25 fee to be an "associate member" so that you can buy insurance. That might seem bad, but the liability-only insurance for my deuce is $36 for six months, so I'm pretty content with it.

Good luck.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You know he wants/needs collision coverage!:roll:

I have full coverage with Gulfway on one of my M35A2s, for $4000 total value(trucks value) coverage, and it's costing about $135/year.

Last edited:

FormerNewMVGuy

I use Condon & Skelly My policy is antique or historic and when asked about the garage i explained that it woudnt fit in my garage, They said they understand and it was not a problem, They also know i live out in the middle of the woods where theft is not a problem! I have 500,000 liability and an agreed value of $9,000 for the truck My yearly premium is $102.00 per truck

Boatcarpenter

CARNAC,
Have to agree with GoHot229. State Farm.
Drivers of Vehicle in your household does not affect classification.
Ordinary use of vehicle... Commercial
They will match the coverage on your daily driver I believe
$237.00 for six months.
As I recall, I showed them pics so they knew exactly what they were insuring.
If State Farm has a good year, you may even get money back, as happened to me a couple of years.
BC

DieselBob

I'm working my way through this insurance maze as we speak. I am letting my regular insurance agent see what he can come up with. I don't even have a shed let alone a building the deuce would fit in for “secure” storage. I have also noted most “collector” insurance is very restrictive on permitted use.

Tomesee1 also indicated in another post that he had AIG for a deuce and 5 ton.

Thanks for the other suggestions.

jmh4x4

Here is my history regarding looking for insurance,

I dont have a garage so no matter how much pleading I did the collector insurance companies would not even consider me - Hagerties, JC Taylor, etc.

I called several major cariers, state farm, progesive, geico, bretherns mutual, since the vehicle was over 10000 lbs they said it had to be insured as comercial with a personal use clause even though it was historic taged- that came to an average of $900 a year just for liability, I thought that was crazy, but since its Maryland, mabe thats the reason.

I ended up with Gulfway only liability for $176 a year. :roll: they use Travelers Insurance, which is funny cause when I tried contacting a local Travelers Rep, they said that they couldnt insure that kind of vehicle.

I had two seperate agencies looking for me and no one came up with anything else.

Luckly there is a 'garage' in my trucks future so that it can get full coverage.;-)

Last edited:

roscoe

Have to give another endorsment for State Farm. They insure 8 vehicals for me including a 23k dump truck for the past 6 or 7 years. The agent knows what the truck is because he met me at the job I was working and looked at the truck. Also says it on the statement. I think it might depend on your agent. Out of all other insurers I've had over the years, I've been by far happier with State Farm. I've also got money back as in previous post.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am on the Gulfway team. State farm wouldn't touch my deuces unless it was a commercial policy. After 30 years of vehicle coverage and 18 years of residential coverage with State farm, they dropped my homeowners (zero claims) like a rock. They dropped all homeowners in FL. Sent me a nice letter saying that they will be there for my cars. I pulled my vehcles from them in a second.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
CARNAC - I have State Farm for my deuce insurance. It covers Historic tags, no specified garage storage, no commercial usage, etc. Cost is about $150 per 6 mos. for me.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I spent yesterday searching past threads on insurance for a deuce. I currently have farm plates on mine but don't want the restrictions, I want to drive it whenever and wherever I want, even if I don't use it for commercial hauling. I have Americal Family and they currently cover it the way it's licensed. I even went to my local State Farm agency and they said it would be about $100/month and they would need my other stuff (like home and autos) with them too. I was pissed to hear that because everone else said they have had good luck with State Farm. Maybe they would do it if it was historical but like I said I don't want the restrictions.

I guess I would really like to hear of anyone who has commercial plates on their deuce and has fairly cheap insurance. I would not use it for commercial hauling and would be ok with mileage limits per year.

scooter01922

I gotta vote gulfway here too. No garage issues, only restriction i can find in my actual printed policy is no commercial hauling( as opposed to what some others have said in other threads). And its cheap at about 180 a year. No issues with them so far and they will be getting 2 more trucks from me real soon.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I gotta vote gulfway here too. No garage issues, only restriction i can find in my actual printed policy is no commercial hauling( as opposed to what some others have said in other threads). And its cheap at about 180 a year. No issues with them so far and they will be getting 2 more trucks from me real soon.
Is yours registered as historical/antique or regular truck plates?

Status
Not open for further replies.