• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No power EGT's up there HELP

sermis

Not sure what is going on here. Truck is really hard to start and RPM's are low until warmed up and still not power. If weather is cold I have to use starting fluid and still might not start. Today it started but RPM's are still slow and truck has no power. Will not pull in 5th at all. EGT's are going up to 1,100 - 12,000. Motor temp stays at 180 on a 3 mile trip around the block. Does no look like too much blow by from the slobber tube. Any ideas? Turbo maybe? Hearing issues and I can't hear if it is spooling or not. Fuel is a lot of oil and some diesel.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Plugged fuel filters. Start with a new primary filter.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't explain why, but it does(I expect that it is running lean). This seems to be a commonly experianced when using WMO.

sermis

OK I just noticed that the fuel line from the FDC to the head has a pin hole leak in it. Think that might be enough to cause the issue?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sure won't help! Try fixing it and see what you get.

sermis

OK I swaped fuel lines and bypassed the FDC. 50% better but still 50% from whaer it should be. Added about 20 gallons of high dollar diesel. Drove to town and back. Had to really watch it. EGT's would hit 13,000 really quick. Got home and let it idle for about 10 minutes and EGT's was still at 500. Neet to change the filters and see or just punt. Might be time to just swap the motor and be done and less stress.
Who is selling the filters now days.

RANDYDIRT

From what I learned from Gale Banks' website high EGT's are caused by too much fuel or not enough air. Could be a clogged air filter or maybe a turbo going south.

Dirt

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
\ EGT's would hit 13,000 really quick.
:shock: that's a bunch!

I know what you were trying to say ;). Try pulling the air filter off and taking it for a quick run and see if that helps. I'm saying you're not getting enough air for some reason. Does it smoke worse than normal?

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe it's the output end that's plugged? I know an exhaust brake will build EGT quickly and really kills power.

Will running WMO in high cuts plug an exhaust or muffler?

Bob

:shock: that's a bunch!

I know what you were trying to say ;). Try pulling the air filter off and taking it for a quick run and see if that helps. I'm saying you're not getting enough air for some reason. Does it smoke worse than normal?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I agree on the air intake. If it has sat all winter, I bet there is a mouse nest in there. Are you getting much flow out of the exhaust? Do you keep a can or something over the stack? Might be a restriction in the tube.

Barrman

This truck has had the same problem for about a year now. I helped him start it one day. We basically had to wind it up. About 10 rpm at a time from a cold start until it would run without having to be floored. He does have a muffler on it.

sermis

OK IT's F**KED. Pulled the air filter. Filter not bad, few spots but OK. Left it off. Pulled the pipe from the turbo to the flex pipe. Left it off. Turbo spins free. I can hear it spool with pipe off. Before I pulled exhaust pipe I could hear, almost sounded like compressed air, like pumping, in the area around behind the turbo side of the engine. Engine sounds like a bomber engine with a lope without the exhaust pipe off. Lots of black smoke from the exhaust. EGT's hit 13,000 down my driveway. 600 at idle.
Any ideas now?

jblack6527

So if I read that right, you pulled the air filter out, and the pipe on the fresh air side of the turbo? Or you pulled the air filter and the pipe off the exhaust? And it still does it?

uscgmatt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine is doing the same thing, except it knocks to the point where it sounds like an ape is pounding on the hood. I think mine is kaput, hopefully you will have better luck w/ yours.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks