• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No power EGT's up there HELP

sermis

Might be an indicator but from what little I know about the timing is the gear can move causing timing to get off. If this is true it fits what has been going on. It has slowly gotten worse and worse until now the EGT's are way high and no power with lots of smoke. I think if it was the coking issue in the chambers the compression would be way high. The turbo spins free. Yes there is coking on the sides of the pipe and turbo but the impeller only has carbon suit and is not all coked up. :lost:

Kohburn

That's what I'm saying - the coked up exhaust and turbo are symptoms of an impropper combustion. Timing would explain it.

sermis

OK I talked to a guy that worked on them some 25 years ago. He thought maybe a broken injector tip and the cylinder might be loading some until it fires. I cracked the nut on the injector on all six. One at a time. They all lugged the engine down when the fuel was squirting out. Will it cause air in the system if a fuel one is loose or will the other five still fire as they should. If they fire as they should then it is not an injector.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It should only take you about 5 minutes or less, to confirm your IP timing. Very easy

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will it cause air in the system if a fuel one is loose or will the other five still fire as they should. If they fire as they should then it is not an injector.
When you "crack" a injector line it will only effect the injector you're working on.

For a diesel to run all it needs is air, compression, and fuel. Of course this all has to happen in the correct sequence (that's where the timing comes in). If it were mine I'd check the timing. If that checked out ok I'd pull the injectors and check compression. While I had the injectors out I'd take them to a diesel shop and have them checked (most shops will check them for free). Might be a good time to check the valve lash also. In doing all these steps I feel sure you'll find your problem.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Think head gasket might cause the problem?
If you're not getting water in the oil, oil in the water, lots of white smoke out of the exhaust, or have something visibly leaking from the gasket area I'd say that more than likely your head gasket is ok.

RDUKW

Did you ever find the the cause of your low power? I have a truck that has been losing power and getting harder to start as well. I just replaced all three fuel filters and that had no effect on helping the performance.

Ryan