• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No Title for Truck - What Am I missing?

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought a truck from an individual. He wants to give me the original SF97 and a bill of sale from him to me as transfer paperwork.

My understanding is that the original SF97 is only good for that first transfer from GL to the original purchaser and that subsequent transfers have to be with a title.

We've gone back and forth on this and it's blown up into a big mess with overt hostility on his part. He blatantly refuses to provide a title and seems to think I'm trying to take advantage of him by asking for one. He also has several thousand dollars as a deposit that he won't return. It's too much $$ to walk away from.

Am I wrong on this? Can I use his sf97 and a bill of sale from him to me to get a title? If so I have some apologies to make.

I just want a truck that's mine after I pay for it.....

Seller in CA and I'm in AZ if that makes a difference.

98G

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far as I know, AZ will not accept someone else's SF97. It has to do with not being able to chain together power of attorney.

-----

Let me clarify - The SF97 we get from GL is "someone else's SF97" because it is typically a transfer from the DLA to GL. This is what necessitates the power of attorney.

DLA to GL via SF97
GL to Joe California via power of attorney
Joe California to You via power of attorney

AZ won't accept this because you can't chain together two power of attorney like that.

Last edited:

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
98G, you're not missing anything. Try offering to pay for the title if he does the legwork. That would be cheaper than walking away. If the title wasn't part of the original sales agreement then you should cover it anyway. I walk away from vehicles without titles, or sellers that try to say they'll get me the title after the sale. If the owner doesn't offer the title up right away it's just not worth the pain.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pretty sure the SF97 is only for the original buyer from GL to get a title.

At this point you have a parts truck.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Same here in Georgia. I've had to get two different 5tons titled in my name using the SF97 and BOS from GL before the fellers I sold them to could get them titled/tagged. (But we knew that up front)

It may be worth your time/trouble to contact your DMV but I'm pretty sure they will tell you that the other feller will have to title the vehicle and then sign it over to you.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its probably late now, but try to offer to pay for the SF97 and do all the leg work, to get it transferred. Smarter next time.....

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take possession of the truck and part it out.

That's why we stress that without a title you bought parts.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless he has a dealers license and can "assign" the SF-97 (that is what GL does), what he is doing is called "skipping title". Most states are cracking down on that as they want their $$$.

I can't speak for CA and AZ, but in OK that is illegal and makes it very difficult to obtain a title.

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Warthog is right on target. Title was promised and even if not put in writing it would be assumed. You didn't mark PayPal as gift did you or you are correct they won't take action.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
In some states it is ILLEGAL to sell a vehicle without a title, check your states vehicle transfer ownership laws, if the is the case, he now has THREE choices, one, give your money back, two, take care of the title, three, talk to the state about selling a vehicle without a title., if he goes for option three, it could end up costing him a lot more then just your deposit..

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
He is hosed, you aren't, just like Ron said. Is he a member on here?
He isn't a member here as far as I know.

I expected ebay/paypal to back me up on the no title thing, since ebay ' s vehicle policy clearly says all vehicles must be sold with a title. Since they didn't I have to pursue other options.

The guy is accusing me of attempting to back out because trucks are again available. That isn't the case. I'd rather have a title than a refund.

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I registered mine in Calif. with no problems.

Registered my M35a2C in Bishop, California on December 2008 without any trouble using the following documents:

1. SF97 From U.S. Govt DRMO to Govt. Liquidation
2. Reassignment of SF97 from Govt. Liquidation to person I bought the truck from (the truck had not been registered anywhere)
3. A Bill of sale from Govt. Liquidation to person I bought the truck from.
4. A bill of sale from the person I bought the truck from to me.

Pictures enclosed:

Get these documents and register the truck in Bishop, California. Then take the California registration to Arizona where they will register it there without any problems.

Attachments

Last edited:

spartan_185

He isn't a member here as far as I know.

I expected ebay/paypal to back me up on the no title thing, since ebay ' s vehicle policy clearly says all vehicles must be sold with a title. Since they didn't I have to pursue other options.

The guy is accusing me of attempting to back out because trucks are again available. That isn't the case. I'd rather have a title than a refund.
What exactly did paypal tell you? Usually paypal and ebay are ruthlessly biased toward the buyer.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just "we are unable to resolve this in your favor at this time." And closed it.

I suspect the guy told them an sf97 and bill of sale was sufficient to transfer and they took that at face value.