• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No Voltage/power on 28v gen set

m139h2otruck

At the Weare show, we picked up a 28 volt MEP-025A gen set for cheap money. Needs a new air cleaner element, a hose between the air box and the carb and the plastic tank has a pin hole in the side (fixed with screw and rubber washer) but other than these small items it is almost new. Runs real nice and smooth but only shows about 4-8 volts on the unit meter and on our test meter. Printed the manual from the manuals page and flashed the fields as stated in the trouble shooting pages. No help at all. Fields show only about 2-3 volts between the #5 and 6 connections on the regulator. Per manual should be around 24 volts.

Any suggestions?? Have already looked at Saturn's site and plan to call them for the air cleaner, hose and tank parts.

m139h2otruck

Yes, we picked it up from Adirondack, $200 for 6 gallons of paint and the gen set, not too bad a deal. Son is the wheeler/dealer!!

I guess the problem is the voltage regulator, from what I can find out in the manual. Need to check the field and stator resistance next before I try to find the regulator.

m139h2otruck

Also, need manual for the 3 hp 2 cylinder engine on this gen set. It does not have the newer style electronic ignition like the newer units. Don't see this manual in the manul listing below.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is the link to the TM's needed to work on this set.

The regulator is most likely the problem. Pretty sure there is a replacable transistor in the regulator that will fix the problem. These go out from idling the engine. Don't ever idle it for more than a second or two.

Last edited by a moderator:

m139h2otruck

Thanks for the links. Any idea on the type and kind of transistor needed, and how hard is it to change? Radio Shack as a supplier?

No mention that I can find in the manual about the idling problem.

Want to rig this up so we can start 24 volt construction equipment in the winter if the batteries are down.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll see if I can scare up the info on the transistor and the part of the manual dealing with the idling and overheating the regulator.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the set has not been used in a while, and has slip rings or brushes, you may be able to get it to produce by shooting some contact cleaner into the commutator while it is running. be careful though because it is flammable. I have some this on a couple of older slip-ring type AC generators successfully. Sometimes there gets a layer of oxidation on the contacts or brushes.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have used an eraser on the end of a pencil to clean the commutator of oxidation. (either running or not) This method usually looks as clean as if you used emery cloth but does not leave any scratches like emery cloth will.

m139h2otruck

Thanks all for the input. The little 24 volt unit's regulator is a round can like thing (looks like a little oil filter) mounted on top of a squarish base (maybe 2"x3") with terminals on one side. Haven't taken apart yet, but it looks sealed.

Good question, if idling is NG why the lever on the carb marked "start/idle" and "run"? Would think that a stop or limit screw would be used when the motor is used as a gen set. Will make the mod our selves just to be sure no one idles the unit.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
These little engines are used on much more than gensets, thats why you can idle them.

m139h2otruck

Checked the ohm readings on the fields per the TM. Both came up as within tolerance, so I guess that the regulator is the problem. There are no brushes on this type of gen set, so that can't be the problem. Next call is to Saturn.

Also won it's brother (120/230 volt) on Ebay last night so now have a matched set!

m139h2otruck

Got the new regulator from Saturn (normal great service) and installed. Unit now runs great and makes correct voltage (22-36 vdc on gage). Also installed new air hose between filter and carb, new spark arrester (a little less noise) and new air filter element. Where would I get the replacement transistor for the burned one in the old regulator? You can see it on the bottom of the unit, connected to the #5 terminal.

m139h2otruck

Used the new unit for the first time to charge and boost new Mack powered tractor. Runs great, showing 50-75% load @ 28 volts on charging, but kicks out the CB when you crank the engine too long. Likes gas too, 1 gallon in about an hour. Batteries ar mostly NG so high rate of charge is not a problem. Mack really cranks @ 28 volts!!

acetomatoco

It lets you know that it is a battery charger and not a jump starter or booster.. 100 amps is the breaker, I believe...

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M139, do you have a good picture of that generator set, especially the control panel. I have one MEP-025 but it is not as shown in the TM 5–6115-323-14. The picture in there is an MEP-025A.. Mine works but a few things are loose, just trying to figure it out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks