• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Normal For M1009 To Smoke Under Load?

LastFbody

Hey there! Just took the plunge into the military vehicle world last week, and so far it's been interesting. My 86 has documented 38k miles, and no apparent issues other than some surface rust on the frame and minor non-drivetrain annoyances. Motor seems smooth, and looks great all around according to my mechanic buddy. Point being it wasn't ever beat, or at least not beaten badly.

But I realized in the past 100 miles that it tends to leave a moderately dark tornado of smoke in it's wake upon accelerating with any amount of speed. Not to the level of rolling coal, but bad enough where nobody wants to drive behind me (which I can't say I completely hate..) It does not smoke at idle or when it gets up to speed.

Is this normal with M1009s and their lack of emissions restraints, or is it running too rich? Also worth noting I mixed in a pint of 2-cycle oil with a full tank of ULSD like many 6.2 users recommend.

cucvrus

Basically you are adding the smoke to it. I never added any 2 cycle oil to a diesel. That's a first for hearing that. I never add anything and I do have smoke under load at high speed when the governor is maxed out. Most of the time I am driving the M1008 Big Red on the interstates at 70 MPH. It huffs smoke and gets poor fuel mileage. But that smoke is un burnt diesel fuel. My M1009 smokes on hard pulls when loaded with a trailer full of wood. Both have newer re-built injection pumps never turned up. So I would say run it and quit putting chainsaw oil in it. Or it will smoke like a chain saw. They do make real additives for diesel. I never use any but they are available. I put a small amount in every winter as needed. I see guys running drain oil and ATF. I would not do that. But it's your vehicle do as you wish. have a great day.

usabamaman

I use one quart of 2-cycle oil per tank in my M1009. Normally I never let it get below a half tank of fuel, so I add one pint of of 2-cycle at fill up. I have never noticed any smoke on idle or at highway speed. An additive lubricant is recommended due to the lubricity of the fuel being removed during the refining process to manufacture Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel(ULSD), so says the study found on www.thedieselplace.com. 2-cycle oil is not the best additive recommended in the study, but it is the most cost effective and readily available. I may switch to the one at the top of the list for lubrication since I am not putting many miles on the vehicle and it would therefore not be very expensive in this case.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Basically you are adding the smoke to it. I never added any 2 cycle oil to a diesel. That's a first for hearing that. I never add anything and I do have smoke under load at high speed when the governor is maxed out. Most of the time I am driving the M1008 Big Red on the interstates at 70 MPH. It huffs smoke and gets poor fuel mileage. But that smoke is un burnt diesel fuel. My M1009 smokes on hard pulls when loaded with a trailer full of wood. Both have newer re-built injection pumps never turned up. So I would say run it and quit putting chainsaw oil in it. Or it will smoke like a chain saw. They do make real additives for diesel. I never use any but they are available. I put a small amount in every winter as needed. I see guys running drain oil and ATF. I would not do that. But it's your vehicle do as you wish. have a great day.
Adding 2 cycle oil is common to lubracate older injection pumps since the government mandate of ULS deisel , there are literally hundreds of posts on it in the 5 ton and duece forms and i'm sure some here in the CUCV form as well.
[h=1]To use a fuel additive or not in m1008[/h]

Last edited:

Ilikemtb999

I also add 2 cycle oil to mine and the only time it smokes is above 9-10k feet.

Is it getting up to operating temps? Does it feel down on power?

Drock

My M1028 has a banks turbo, thus the fuel is turned up and it doesn't smoke at all. Sounds to me like either the fuel mite be turned up too far, or the timing is advanced a little too much, Or maybe both? Check your timing marks on the front of the pump.

LastFbody

Yeah I looked around a lot on the 2 cycle topic before actually doing it, most everyone had only positive things to say about using it with the 6.2.

My M1009 still only has the stock dummy lights, a proper temp gauge is high on my list of things to do though. So I'm not sure what the temps are doing other than not causing the dummy light to come on. :/ Being that I've only had the truck for a week I'm not totally sure if it's down on power or not. Its certainly not gonna win any races, but given enough runway it can get up to any speed I need it to. It doesn't like going up hills, usually it'll drop to second and lose a few mph. It feels like it accelerates slower than anything else on the road, but I was expecting that. As far as I know everything is bone stock, so th400, 3.08 gears, and 31" tires.

"Tornado of smoke" might have been a little misleading. It's more of a light/medium black colored fog that spins due to the wake left from the square 1980s box of a body lol.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also use two-cycle oil at every fill up.
No smoke at all at anytime.
Runs smoother and not as loud.

Have you replaced your air-filter?
Ive read several threads that mentioned lack of enough air might be the culprit for the smoke.
Could also be several other things also, but I would start with that.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to Steel Soldiers and welcome to the wonderful world of CUCV's!! :) I've owned my M1009 for ten years. Occasionally I add diesel fuel additive. I don't notice a difference when I run it. CUCVRUS knows his stuff about CUCVs. I always appreciate his advice. Top off your tank with #2 diesel and run it without the 2 cycle oil. If the oil is causing the smoke, the amount of smoke will diminish and then go away.

LastFbody

Hey thanks! Yeah the air filter seems almost new. I also heard that replacing fuel filters might make a difference as well. I'll have to play around with a few things now that I know that much smoking isn't normal on these.

Thanks for the answers all! This has been helpful.

LastFbody

Hard to say. It was bought from the govt in 2010 with 36k miles, was barely driven, then ended up (unfortunately) having a plow attached to the front 3 years ago to plow a used car lot. Other than the last guy replacing worn out rubber items and alternators I don't think it got molested at all.

I've read mixed things about advancing the timing, so I'll probably leave that for after the fuel filter replacements if those dont get any results. If I were to advance the timing, does the screw turn toward the driver side if you're facing the vehicle from the front?

LastFbody

Dude you have a whole 135 HP to move a 2 1/2 ton truck with 308 gears. It does tend to be sluggish. It will run forever if you keep your hands off it and keep it full of fluids. That has been my experience. Others opinions my vary. Long live the CUCV. Hail GM.
I totally get that haha, not trying to make it something it's not. Just wanted to make sure mine is running correctly so nothing gets worn out or god forbid burnt out before it's time. My concern is exhaust gas temps.

LastFbody

Whoooops.. the thing I was talking about is actually the fuel delivery adjustment inside the ip, not timing. The video I watched referred to it as timing for some reason.

If I were to adjust fuel delivery, which way would I need to turn the screw to make it run more lean?

Ue413

Changing settings would not be my first choice.....eliminating 2 cycle oil first, as previously suggested, would isolate that variable before touching the pump. I would second the motion on Cucvrus' knowledge....he knows his stuff.

cucvrus

Whoooops.. the thing I was talking about is actually the fuel delivery adjustment inside the ip, not timing. The video I watched referred to it as timing for some reason.

If I were to adjust fuel delivery, which way would I need to turn the screw to make it run more lean?
Go ahead make my day. Screw and turn and crank it up. You will surely think the CUCV is the biggest pile of junk ever built in no time. I met many a fella like you. Ain't happy till it's broke and then hating life and bad mouthing the CUCV. I see it everyday. I have 1 CUCV truck for the past 20 years. I bought 3 new Chevy trucks since then and this one is still running. These are timeless and reliable if left unmolested. Or they can be good work trucks. You can work on them all the time. I choose to just do the repairs as needed and run them. Seems to have worked for over 20 years so far. Day in and day out. Ludicrous speed and beyond. You will gain nothing by cranking and screwing with the pump. But have at it. It is your truck. makes my stock ones more valuable. Has worked so far. Have a great day. Enjoy the CUCV.

LastFbody

Go ahead make my day. Screw and turn and crank it up. You will surely think the CUCV is the biggest pile of junk ever built in no time. I met many a fella like you. Ain't happy till it's broke and then hating life and bad mouthing the CUCV. I see it everyday. I have 1 CUCV truck for the past 20 years. I bought 3 new Chevy trucks since then and this one is still running. These are timeless and reliable if left unmolested. Or they can be good work trucks. You can work on them all the time. I choose to just do the repairs as needed and run them. Seems to have worked for over 20 years so far. Day in and day out. Ludicrous speed and beyond. You will gain nothing by cranking and screwing with the pump. But have at it. It is your truck. makes my stock ones more valuable. Has worked so far. Have a great day. Enjoy the CUCV.
Whoa whoa whoa there. I don't think you're understanding what I'm getting at at all. I'm trying to learn how to adjust the motor to run the way it did from the factory and not spew excessive black smoke in the event all easier methods others suggested fail. I'm not interested in hot rodding it.

I don't believe I said anything to warrant THAT kind of response. Welcome to the CUCV community indeed..

joshuak

Whoa whoa whoa there. I don't think you're understanding what I'm getting at at all. I'm trying to learn how to adjust the motor to run the way it did from the factory and not spew excessive black smoke in the event all easier methods others suggested fail. I'm not interested in hot rodding it.

I don't believe I said anything to warrant THAT kind of response. Welcome to the CUCV community indeed..

Welcome aboard bud, hope you enjoy your truck and the forum.

I am not familiar with the procedure but if you look at the Technical Manual ending in -34, mechanical troubleshooting section number 19, Excessive Black Smoke and step one is to check timing. They reference a paragraph for instructions on how to.

Good luck and report results!

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard bud, hope you enjoy your truck and the forum.

I am not familiar with the procedure but if you look at the Technical Manual ending in -34, mechanical troubleshooting section number 19, Excessive Black Smoke and step one is to check timing. They reference a paragraph for instructions on how to.

Good luck and report results!
I really appreciate a helpful post like this one. This is what Steel Soldiers is all about!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks