• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Normal For M1009 To Smoke Under Load?

Ilikemtb999

Whoa whoa whoa there. I don't think you're understanding what I'm getting at at all. I'm trying to learn how to adjust the motor to run the way it did from the factory and not spew excessive black smoke in the event all easier methods others suggested fail. I'm not interested in hot rodding it.

I don't believe I said anything to warrant THAT kind of response. Welcome to the CUCV community indeed..
youll quickly learn that there are some who are abrasive and very quick to judge. There are plenty that aren't and like to have fun with their cucv's. Also, I've used a quart of 2 stroke oil in every fill since the day I got mine years ago and has never been a culprit of smoking. I think verifying your fueling and timing is near stock settings is the way to go.

Have you checked out the TM's yet? It has every piece of information you'll need for a stock cucv. I'd suggest downloading them (there's a link up at the top of the cucv section) and even has diagnosis info. Probably the best place to start.

Drock

As I said before, you need to check the timing and see if someone has advanced it. here's a quick video showing how it's done. https://youtu.be/GMev83skH6M I also agree too much 2cycle oil could cause the smoke. I run 1quart per tank and it runs much smoother and quieter with no smoke.

Last edited:

tequilaiam

I'll be the dissenting voice and say that odds are a previous owner messed with the IP setting.

If the timing is correct then you're not getting a good burn. Either too much fuel (most likely) or maybe a plugged injector that's not atomizing the fuel enough, an injector popping open too early, a worn out IP....lots of things.

Even a more modern diesel like my '99 VW TDI will smoke a bit under load as will my CUCV with conservative fuel setting. But not enough to really see during the day, it's only evident at night with headlights behind you. But a little black smoke while reving is normal for most CUCVs I believe. But it shouldn't look like a loaded gravel truck starting from a dead stop with a noticeable cloud.

Like everyone said, check your timing first. Then maybe look at your glow plugs one at a time to see if any look sootier than the others to point to a bad injector. If those all look OK then try turning down the IP pump a tad, like maybe 1/8 turn or less.

Hard to tell what any previous owner did but the first thing lots of guys do with a mechanical diesel is turn that fuel screw because rolling coal is cool(or something). Maybe the plow driver did so for a little extra power.

LastFbody

Thanks for the useful info all. I checked out the 6.2 motor technical manual before posting, and that detailed every little thing EXCEPT ip settings. For things related to the ip the manual very quickly said "send it off to stanadyne for tuning" Definitely gonna take baby steps with any adjustments, I'll probably start with a 1/16th to see if it gets results.

As far as the amount of 2 cycle, I used maybe a tinge more than a pint with a full tank. That can't be the issue if you're using a quart and not having a problem. I also noticed the motor sounded a lot happier with that than it did with plain diesel. The black smoke is very obvious during the daytime. Other drivers tend to stay back a good 100 feet because of it.

I'll lab it out and see what I come up with.

Assel

my 6.2 does smoke when pushing the pedal hard, I´d say thats pretty normal. In idle or when running in a smooth speed it shoulndt smoke, only under heavy load / accelerating hard / hills etc.

the only video of my m1009 throwing smoke is the mudbog one .. as said, its amout of smoke seems normal to me (its still a 31yr old diesel v8 ...) oh and I feed it some 2 stroke oil aswell when filling the diesel tank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UprjTiqiZq8

LastFbody

That seems more or less how it smokes under medium/heavy acceleration. But it sounds like your motor is a good 1000 rpm higher in the mud pit than mine is accelerating on asphalt.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1 quart per tankful since day one.
No smoke at all.
Almost 6k miles driven since I bought it.

Thats not your issue.

cucvrus

Strange. I put straight LSD in all mine and drive them a combined 60K + per year. And they all smoke when hammer down and maxed out and pulling hard loads up hill. They also smoke when the injection pump is going south. I see no need to add 2 cycle oil. They are not chain saws or outboard motors. I read the TM front to back and this is a new idea that just came about. I know a few of guys that dump drain oil and automatic transmission fluid in there CUCV fuel tanks. They are constantly working on them and hating life and the CUCV. I did convince a few to stop it and used a few of my trucks as examples. But some just don't get it. They would do it just because someone else said to. I know there are more guys reading this thread and chuckling just like me. This is the latest and greatest add on or additive. I put over 10K on my Mule alone in the last year and it runs fine day in day out. I even feel safe letting friends borrow it when they have car issues. I was a bit set back from the 2 - 300 gallon totes of contaminated diesel fuel I burned thru last winter. But when I added the Howes Diesel Conditioner that took care of that. I would recommend Diesel fuel lubricity additive /treatment for your CUCV and keep the 2 cycle oil for the weed whackers and chain saws. After all where does in the TM's say to add 2 cycle oil to a CUCV? Because someone on the internet said to do it it has to be the right thing? I am a skeptic. The newer injection pumps I have had rebuilt are made to run on LSD. And that is Low Sulfur Diesel. Good Luck. Do as you want. It is not and it will never be my truck. I want to keep mine in the hammer down lane running on straight pipe Diesel Fuel.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Motor oil and transmission fluid are not designed to be burned in a combustion chamber.
Two cycle oil is. It runs smoother and quieter.

Just because you haven't "heard" about it until now and don't agree with it, does not mean it doesn't work.

We all know there are things that work and improve performance that are not in the TMs and do not affect dependability.

What the OP is describing does not jive with two cycle oil being the root of the problem.
It burns blue, not black. That's if you can even see it. Can't in mine. Others have stated same results.

He has other issues that might be causing the heavy black smoke.
Could be several things.
Two cycle oil isn't one of them, in my opinion.

Chuckle away

Skinny

I don't follow here. You have an IP that has an unknown fuel screw setting and you are adding something to the fuel. Unless you are willing to try it without the 2 cycle oil first and then maybe even reset the IP screw, this whole conversation is a waste of time. A stock 6.2 should never really smoke unless you are flat out with it and the IP is at the factory setting for the engine designation.

I have not researched this myself but the J code IP setting is very conservative in the fueling. You will benefit from a slight turn if you pay attention and don't drive your truck at WOT all the time. Unless you know where it is at, this may or may not be the problem. You could have an IP that is dying.

LastFbody

The thread got derailed some time ago. Started as a "Is this amount of smoke normal" thread (to which the answer is no) and turned into an anger and rage debate over fuel additives somehow.

The only reason ip settings came up was so I knew how to tinker with it as a last resort. Far as I'm concerned threads closed. :shrugs:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The thread got derailed some time ago. Started as a "Is this amount of smoke normal" thread (to which the answer is no) and turned into an anger and rage debate over fuel additives somehow.

The only reason ip settings came up was so I knew how to tinker with it as a last resort. Far as I'm concerned threads closed. :shrugs:
Well said

cucvrus

Point is that TM 9-2320-289-34 Direct Support CUCV manual Table 2-1Mechanical trouble shooting covers all smoking conditions.
White Smoke (air conditions warm)
Step 1 - Check for inoperative glow plug module.
Step 2 - Check fuel injection pump timing
Step 3 - Start engine depress bottom of rocker lever on right side of fuel injection pump.
If engine sound does not change remove and inspect fuel injection pump servo advance piston assembly.
Step 4 - Check timing chain free play.

Excessive Black Smoke

Step 1 - Check fuel injection pump timing
Step 2 - Check each fuel injector nozzle.
Step 3- Test compression of each cylinder

That is all I found in the manuals. I seldom look at them. But I wanted to see if the 2 cycle oil was listed.
The only point I am attempting to make is that a new guy will read this and think hey 2 cycle oil will solve my LSD Low Sulfur Diesel issue. When most CUCV pumps that are rebuilt now are built to operate on the new LSD fuel. I ask that question several times and I also have seen no effects in the field with several vehicles running fuel from the truck stop. The thread is not derailed. You ask about if the CUCV M1009 smokes. I answered yes it can under full throttle and when climbing steep hills at full throttle. And then you went to turning up the pump. That will make more smoke. The we went to timing that can make more smoke and also change the noise level. If the noise level gets loud the pump can me retarded in timing a bit. But just going in unknowingly changing settings is a fools hobby. The pump may be on it's last leg and you are just adding to the problem. I am just being honest and trying to help. If I did not run one everyday with no issues I would not tell you anything different. i am sure I could add a quart on 2 cycle oil to each tank and it may or may not effect my results. I doubt it would make any difference.
In a Stihl chain saw I mix 2.5 ounces per gallon. So I think in a 20 gallon tank of fuel the 2 cycle would be very thin. I am not willing to add the operating expense. i see no benefit after running them as long and hard as we do. But you can end/close the thread. It was sort of pointless. and it did turn bad about the time it started. Because how would we know which amount of smoke is normal. We can't se how much smoke is coming from your truck under what conditions. Good Night.

LastFbody

I was only ever talking about turning the fuel down/air up incrimentally. Other users have used even more 2 cycle without the level of smoke I'm experiencing. I doubt the ip has ever been rebuilt. I've already determined from what other users have described that my truck is smoking a little too much. I was establishing if I need to do something about it or not, and I got my answer.

Your other interactions on this forum seem helpful and friendly. Not totally sure why you've been so nasty with me in particular, but I don't need to deal with your attitude in my free time. I deal with that too much at work to tolerate it in my free time.

cucvrus

What is nasty? I am trying to help with facts. Not witch craft and strange home brews for dancing around the issue. I and others have said injection pump. I did not mean to offend but adding oil to fuel will not reduce smoke. Never did or never will. Sorry. Do ask a question in an open forum and get all upset when you get multiple answers. I feel I have been honest and you were not looking for an honest answer just a cheap fix. Not happening. Hard to diagnose site unseen. Sorry you are a new guy and I want to give you straight forward answers before you end up with a hacked up poor running CUCV. Peace man. :)

Ilikemtb999

You've been jumping to conclusions with every post. He never once stated he was turning up fuel or timing. He was looking for how to get it back to stock settings. Then you went off about chainsaws in some elaborate attempt to tell him he's a fool for putting oil in his fuel.

Maybe its because it's the Internet and it's impossible to read the tone of someone's post but you generally come off as quite abrasive. Maybe a proofread before hitting submit might do you good or just a smilie to ease up the tone.

Drock

My money's on this is going to be a settings problem. Someone's messed with either the (timing), and/or (fuel delivery). I agree the 2cycle oil is not going to (cause or fix) the smoking symptom. And the O.P. should run it on straight diesel until this problem is diagnosed. That being said, I do try and add the 2cycle oil to every other tank. And it does run smoother, crisper throttle, and slightly better fuel economy with NO smoke for me:shrugs:. Also I like cucvrus, he's very knowledgeable, honest, and his "attitude" makes me laugh:D2cents.....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks