• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Normal For M1009 To Smoke Under Load?

Jake59

Not intended to re-lauch this debate, but the "older diesel engines" where conceived to work with the formerly high sulfer diesel fuels, which are a lot "greasier" than today's ULS diesel fuels.
I do remember diesel fuel really being a lot greasier back then... we would smear it on metal parts just to keep them from rusting and it would work and hold for years actually. Not so much with today's diesel fuels... seem to evaporate and dissipate completely withing days/weeks from any surface...

Reading on some German websites, many transportation and taxi companies having their own fuel station add 2-stroke oil to the diesel fuel for use on their high mileage equipment, but generally in a 1:200 proportion. It is a well known fact that old German cabs, usually Mercedes would run up to 1.000.000 km/600.000M in typical city stop and go traffic.

As for the dosage, when used in a genuine 2-stroke engine, these vary from 1:25 to 1:50 or 4% to 2% 2-stroke oil by volume to the gasoline, as we all know.
Most literature on adding 2-stroke oil to diesel fuel, talks about 1:200 or 0.5% added 2-stroke oil (also according the study below).
For an M1009 that would mean 1 pint on a full fuel tank, but defintely not more. Filling up a partially filled fuel tank would mean only a corresponding fraction of that 1 pint should be added... roughly 3 ounces of 2-stroke oil for every 5 Gallons of fuel. Any additive in such small doses would not and should not be visible as exhaust or blake smoke or anything alike, probably not even if you were to dump a lump of plain grease into your fuel tank... unless your additive would be liquid tar perhaps...

In several of my cars, the past couple ones being BMW with high torque high power diesel engines, I have been adding 2-stroke engine oil to my diesel fuel for many years now and good for over 600.000 km or 400.000M total. These are fairly modern diesel engines and do not fall under the category "old style diesel engines", so I am not comparing nor trying to create a parallel which could apply to the GM 6.2 diesel engines.

To be absolutely correct I use only 0.35% 2-stroke oil but also 0.15% industrial Acetone.
At home, a few times a year, I pre-mix a 2.5Gal jug with additive, which I tap over when needed, into 1L/1Q old oil bottles with a level indicator on the side. I always carry a few of those 1 Quart old oil bottles, pre-mixed with 50% diesel fuel 35% 2-stroke oil and 15% Acetone in the trunk.

These proportions make it very easy to estimate the amount to add when I refuel. I found it necessary to mix 50% diesel fuel in as well, since 2-stroke oil and acetone do not mix at all and with the diesel added, it all blends quite well. Nevertheless, I always will give the bottle a short shake, just to make sure the acetone does not sit on top and gets poured in first and undiluted. In that configuration, I simply add 1% of this mixture to my fuel or 100ml for every 10L (=10,000ml) diesel fuel, which in the end means I'm adding 0.35% 2-stroke oil or 1:285 . No doubt a similar pre-mixed bottle can be calculated to obtain an easy Gallons of fuel vs. Ounces of additive proprotion...
Before I start pumping in fuel, I will have checked the fuel tank gauge and then estimate and pour the appropriate fraction of the 1 Quart jug into the fuel tank to make it a full tank. AOnce that completed, I will top up completely with fuel, so as to optimize the mixing and diluting the additive with the fuel.

My experience is overal positive, I do notice a smoother engine, slight improvement of gas mileage, clean exhaust, no negative impact on DPF and I have had my engine out and dissassembled (for totally other reasons) and the internals, injectors etc all looked great, as a matter of fact the pistons and valves etc were even cleaner than what you would normally expect in a diesel engine.

My M1009 is not yet road worthy, but will I do this with that engine as well? I don't know yet for sure... I think I will not for some time and then I will also run it with my additive mixture for a while as well and monitor as carefully as possible the effects and differences, if any can be observed. Then I can make a decision.

... an interesting South African study on the subject of adding 2-strokeoil to diesel fuel in a modern diesel engine (Common Rail, DPF, turbo and all the gadgets):

Jake

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks