• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

North Carolina MV RALLY April 6th, 7th,& 8th 2012

17 Legion

I can be at the Statesville exit on I-40. I'm real flexible on time and station so I can move around to meet other locals in the area. Helps to lessen the amount of stops. Please include the dates and times of your projected rally points.
And thanks alot for helping organize this convoy. Really benefits me as I am a new local.

allenhillview

17 Legion, we are shooting for exit 116 at daybreak, you are a little further west so call us around that time or a little later, we'll need fuel and food so I'd guess we'll try leaving when finished with all that , I try not to talk long so we can get on down there and start enjoying our weekend, my wife will be ready to relax after all the singing from the engine. So you thinking Mocksville?

MDSA

I don’t want to over organize this convoy, but we need to be safe. I was with 3 other trucks coming back from Georgia one year without incident, but we started together, made one stop at a truck stop, then parted ways at our exit. However, we are up to 8-10 trucks and are making numerous stops.

Some thoughts and suggestions which need to be tweaked by group consensus:

Speed: I usually cruise the Deuce at 50. Everyone comfortable with 50mph?

AMGeneral has CONVOY signs. What vehicles are best for front and rear of the convoy? Anyone with experience at the front or rear? Front man needs to KNOW where we are going. Front man also needs to be able to visualize how much space is needed for 8-10 trucks (some with trailers) if we make a stop. Person at the rear should have a cameraman to try to get a few pics of us enroute. I’ll volunteer as I’ll have at least 1 passenger, but I’m open to suggestions.

After Exit 116 on I-40, we may be picking up a few people before we get off at Mocksville. 17Legion is in Statesville. Does he just hop in line? Or are we pulling onto the shoulder? Or meeting at an exit? I suggest using the on/off ramps.

Emergency communication/stop: The disabled truck pulls off and calls convoy leader. Best mechanic/tool man pulls off with disabled truck. All others find safe place to wait. If not an emergency, call convoy leader and try to make it to the next exit.

Will we have a chase/civy vehicle?

Opinion: I am concerned about 8-10 trucks on the side of any highway and causing distractions which will result in an accident, maybe into one of us. We also have to have room for ALL trucks to get COMPLETELY off the road.

We take 4 charter bus loads of 7th graders to Washington DC every year. One year we had a breakdown and happened to have a NC state trooper as a chaperone. He insisted that 2 buses go on while one turned around at an exit to come back and pick up the stranded kids. While waiting, he insisted that all kids be taken off the bus and stand by the fence. Reason: he said that inevitably, when you have a stranded vehicle on the side of an interstate, it gets hit. We didn't get hit, but I’d hate to see our weekend ruined by something we can prevent.

Comments?

17 Legion

A lot to think about, and many great sugestions.

First, 50 MPH sound good to me.
Second, I will have my HHR for communications. I bet most on this site have a set as well. Just post what channel we will all be on.
Third, the convoy signs sound like a good idea.
Fourth, I agree about not stopping on the side of the road, We should use the on/off ramps.
Last, I don't want to lead or lag, just put me in the middle somewere.

If anyone is in my area, I'd be happy to meet up with them to minimize the stops required, as stated in my earlier post. Just PM me and we can make the arrangements.

allenhillview

MDSA, Yes agree with all traffic concerns, especially the part about distractions from passerby, I've witnessed that happening, lets keep it simple if thats possible? Stagger ? These are all just suggestions. Ramp for stop..YES,
Lead man.........YES,
Rear man..........YES
Emergency..... Mechanic only stop
Chase civvy.....YES
Someone needs to be Head of communications via mobile phone, I can do traffic at each pick-up, I,ll work with each up till departure before Thursday,cell #'s pick-up points, relay all on to communications, whether on side ramp or a schedule pull in stop.
Lead man controls all, he and communications, fuel, bathroom stop,
I,ll pull ahead and arrange parking and safety?

I have a suggestion for Lead man do you want to take a vote? His initials are UuU

Last edited:

AMGeneral

I don’t want to over organize this convoy, but we need to be safe. I was with 3 other trucks coming back from Georgia one year without incident, but we started together, made one stop at a truck stop, then parted ways at our exit. However, we are up to 8-10 trucks and are making numerous stops.

Some thoughts and suggestions which need to be tweaked by group consensus:

Speed: I usually cruise the Deuce at 50. Everyone comfortable with 50mph?

AMGeneral has CONVOY signs. What vehicles are best for front and rear of the convoy? Anyone with experience at the front or rear? Front man needs to KNOW where we are going. Front man also needs to be able to visualize how much space is needed for 8-10 trucks (some with trailers) if we make a stop. Person at the rear should have a cameraman to try to get a few pics of us enroute. I’ll volunteer as I’ll have at least 1 passenger, but I’m open to suggestions.

After Exit 116 on I-40, we may be picking up a few people before we get off at Mocksville. 17Legion is in Statesville. Does he just hop in line? Or are we pulling onto the shoulder? Or meeting at an exit? I suggest using the on/off ramps.

Emergency communication/stop: The disabled truck pulls off and calls convoy leader. Best mechanic/tool man pulls off with disabled truck. All others find safe place to wait. If not an emergency, call convoy leader and try to make it to the next exit.

Just throwing out my 2 cents here,

50 mph is a good safe speed,especially given the time and weekend.

Convoy signs are a MUST ,especially given how people drive on I-40 lately.

Convoy distance between trucks should be maintained between 100 and 200 feet.

I would definetly reccommend that we use off and on ramps to allow others to join in the convoy and arrange a pre determined time/exit to meet each member after the main form up at exit 116.

Unless I miss my count,and assuming glcaines joins up with us,I have 4 deuces,2 CUCVs and 1 5 ton forming up the main convoy before Statesville.

Onemegajack-deuce
100acre-cucv
allenhillview-cucv
MDSA-deuce
glcaines-deuce
mtnrebel-deuce
amgeneral-5 ton

MDSA

1985mustang,

Yes, we'll be stopping someplace near Statesville for 17Legion, so you 2 can decide which exit is best for you both.

tgtaylor64

We are in, joining the Johnson troops from Marion, SC. Bringing the M1009 and possibly the M101A1 behind a Dodge 2500. Looking forward to the trails, conversations, fun, and the swap meet. Bringing the wife and two boys (ages 7 and 11). It will be the first time for the wife and boys!

kc4wd

Mike, These guys are comming from from the west to mocksville then follow 64 through Lexington. They will not pass the way you need to go. Maybe someone from Va. will travel south on 220 for you to join there convoy.

kc4wd

That will be fine. I will be heading over there on Thursday evening. I'll be there till Sunday.

Anyone else going on Thursday evening?.........

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
I`ll be headed that way Thursday as well.

kc4wd have you contacted Cabell about food ?? He will need some details on number of ppl and so on so he can prepare.

kc4wd

The food situation is still being worked out.

Cabell..........? In an earlier post I have asked if anyone wanted Cabell to bring the MKT. So far I have had 1 reply to bring it, I think there was 5 or 6 counted in that post. Anyone else? I will probably bring my own food since I like to grill out with the wife. ( she is allergic to wheat so we have to be carefull). The farm park will also be offering food as well. If you sign up for the MKT it will be 1 price for all meals for the weekend. (Breakfast, dinner and supper) (yes, I'm from the south DINNER is at 12:00) The more that sign up the cheaper it will be.