• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NOS USMC M1028 from Norway Storage

sandcobra164

All CUCV lovers, this truck is going downhill. It needs a new dash pad now and the door panels are fading at the top. I have had a good run with this truck and it is all still bone stock original save for a heater core from Napa and a rebuilt starter after it broke the nose cone off from a local shop, starter is otherwise original. I did do the DH Glowplug relay bypass as instructed and replaced the glowplugs with AC60's. It now has close to 7,400 original miles and is still rolling on the original Firestone tires from 1985.

In seriousness, this truck is quite a find but it will never be loved out here for what it is. If there is a CUCV lover who would like to actually care for this truck, I am all ears. I prefer not to sale outright but if you read earlier in the thread, I actually was trying to purchase an M1009 Blazer. I would like one that looks pretty decent and would consider a straight trade but once again another hitch, I would like to know how you would take better care of my M1028 other than drive it around once in a while and leave it sitting baking in the Ga sun.

I got a once in a lifetime deal on this truck, went through a pile of nonsense but honestly, the 5 ton gets driven alot more, the deuce that lived here before got driven alot more and this truck deserves better than what I can give it if anyone is interested is preserving one. If not, it's paid for and can continue his duties out here on my 2 acres which mostly consist of sitting around. It does go to the GA Rally and ride trails and the locker in the front end helps it go up hills even the 5 tons and Deuces can't handle. There are no dents but I really need one that is not so perfect so I can dent it and not worry.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd love to make a deal with you.

Anyone have a very nice M1009 available(for sale) that I might buy, to trade him?

cucvrus

I have a 1984 M1009 in my barn with 13K original miles. It has been in my barn for over 20 years. It is not completely assembled at this time. I know a few members have seen it. I am saving it for a special person that may be myself or someone else. It starts and runs and is very clean everywhere. Dusty but clean as far as rust. It does need completed. I do not want the M1028 but I guess it could occupy the same place in my barn. So as I said. Some assembly required. I have a lot of new GM parts. I used the body parts off this one and bought new GM parts as I used the original parts. All original with exception of bolt on front quad shocks.

sandcobra164

I drove it just about 30 minutes ago. It runs fine going 55 or 60 mph going down the road but I don't like to run it that way for long as it sounds stressed. I put 35 dollars of diesel in the tank and it drove just fine going home. I am now in a slight agreement on the new home of this truck with a member on here. I posted that I would not like to sale it outright and thinking more about it, I won't. I'd rather have another CUCV M1009. I was rather impressed with how well Sarge drove tonight. He had power that he has never shown and even blew some grey smoke out of the drivers side tailpipe. He must know something it up. I'm in no hurry.

sandcobra164

Got a notification from Facebook that I've had this truck 7 years now! I haven't driven it much in the past few years and it's getting old and cranky. It did great at the GA Military Vehicle get together last year after being hauled on a goose neck trailer. Over the past year, it has sat and sat. I had to remove the air cleaner, disconnect and reconnect the pink wire to the shutoff solenoid to get things moving again. Starter spun fine but no smoke. I had to remove the top cover of the IP last time it did this but got it working without removal this time. It drove ok but shut off on me 3 or 4 times when slowing down to turn onto a road. Bump trans into neutral and re-started with the slightest bump of the starter each time. Towards the end of the trip it quit that habit. I'm glad it's cooling down, I'm going to start driving it more! It made it to 7,314 miles tonight and was happy as can be. That's probably 100 miles more than what it had 2 years ago. My better half used to drive this truck about 30 times a year or so, she's lost interest so I guess I need to step my game up! I'm still interested in a clean M1009 but it looks like I need to step my game up in regards to keeping my M1028 ready to roll! New tires are next on the list after we make it through Christmas!

sneekyeye

Nice meeting you at durhhamtown this year. I was the one with the green marine m1028 fire fighting truck with the star on the side. My son had a really good time sleeping in the back and off roading.

sandcobra164

Sounds like a government operation........

Let it sit and rot.

What a waste........sigh
You're correct sir, that is what's been going on here lately. If it makes you feel better, I've put another 13 miles riding through the country side this evening and it seems to be doing much better. I'm about to place an order for a Classic Industries catalog so I can get a new dash pad. I'll be sure to research and come up with the correct dye to stain it with to preserve the burgundy interior. If that goes well, I'll look at interior door panels as well. The ones in the truck are fine but almost faded to white on the tops. My youngest son really likes the truck and wants it as his first vehicle. He's currently 9 so I've not been terribly motivated to do much with it. I'll just look at it this way, once I do decide to get off my butt and do something with it, I'll have a solid foundation to start with. No rust, no dents, sheet metal is perfect. Even the cab mounts are great, look at the crease from the front fenders to doors to the bed and it all lines up perfectly. Odometer now reads 7,327. I'll keep doing the same loop each evening until I burn through this old diesel in the tank. It'll probably be really happy once it's back on some fresh stuff! Tinstar, I'll make this truck great again with a little TLC. Thanks for the motivation sir!

sandcobra164

Have been letting the truck idle for a few nights to burn off some of the old diesel. Picked up a bottle of Stanadyne Fuel Injector Performance Cleaner, added it to the truck and voila! Not quite, I let it idle for about an hour. It shut off on it's own a few times but fired right back up. Took it for a ride through the country and it's like a new truck again. Throttle response it great, idle is great, I may need to readjust the idle to lower it from where I set it a few months ago when it was stalling out. The old truck now has 7338 miles on it and is towing the M1102 trailer just fine! Now I need to burn through the last 1/2 of old fuel in the tank and get some fresh diesel in it. Should go much easier now!

Last edited:

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Hello sandcobra164, sorry I was being critical earlier. The best way to have equipment from my point of view is to have a maintenance schedule.

No matter what, I take a day every month to start all equipment and let run in place or and drive, move around, articulate moving parts. If you do not figure on using the machine on a regular basis then either you do not need it or you need it enough to keep and maintain machine.

First Rule of equipment, machines, Machines breakdown. See it every day in heavy construction equipment. From simple generators to large Excavators, Highlifts, Dozers.

Fuel systems are always the first problem, rust, water in government formulated fuels.
Fuel tanks, filters, injection pumps. RUST
Hydraulic hoses, cooling systems.
Now electrical sensors, switches, relays, computer operated emissions control systems.

Just to name a few.

Just by starting and light use of machine on a regular basis keeps machine in a more stable condition.

Now I need to follow my own advice and stop tapping on my carburetor to my 54 ford NAA, and using the choke as a modulator to monitor the fuel flow to the engine to run smoothly, instead of rebuilding and blowing out the few idle bleed holes. Now from the reformulated fuel,I run additives, Stabil, Lead additive, sometimes race fuel.

What a World

WELDINSPECTOR

I would sell this truck at auction, I would not take this on any trail. Like taking a Rare coin that is sealed and putting it back into circulation. You could sell this truck for $20K or better. This truck is part of History. I Used to import and export classic vehicles for quite some time. If you want a cool truck for your wife, you will be able to buy 5 of them after you sell this one. And I hope you still have the original tires for it.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would sell this truck at auction, I would not take this on any trail. Like taking a Rare coin that is sealed and putting it back into circulation. You could sell this truck for $20K or better. This truck is part of History. I Used to import and export classic vehicles for quite some time. If you want a cool truck for your wife, you will be able to buy 5 of them after you sell this one. And I hope you still have the original tires for it.
Your wasting your time.
He’s gonna do what he’s gonna do.

sandcobra164

I've had it and enthusiasts on here have known about it for 8 years now. No one has offered to buy it and I'm not actively trying to sell it. It's still sitting on the original tires. Cleaned it up yesterday for the Leesburg Christmas Parade.

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I've had it and enthusiasts on here have known about it for 8 years now. No one has offered to buy it and I'm not actively trying to sell it. It's still sitting on the original tires. Cleaned it up yesterday for the Leesburg Christmas Parade.
Ill trade you for my 5 ton, your wife will be happy to have air conditioning ha!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

sandcobra164

Ill trade you for my 5 ton, your wife will be happy to have air conditioning ha!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
You'd be out of a job and my wife would be mad that I traded a vehicle she could drive for one she'd refuse to drive! I'll trade my M923A1 in exchange and you get get back to square 1 and go through all of your modifications again!!! I'm sure that's not on the agenda.

sandcobra164

It ran through the old fuel fine idling. Put about 12 gallons of fresh diesel in the tank to top it off and it did fine in the Christmas Parade with my better half driving! I drove it some as well on the old fuel and the Stanadyne Performance additive really seemed to help. I need to hook it back to the M1102 trailer, it likes a slight 1,500 pound load when I drive it. I only dropped it for the parade, my wife hates towing a trailer of any kind.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks