• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NOS USMC M1028 from Norway Storage

mojeeper

I say its your truck, you worked hard for the cash to pay for it, so lift it, cut the fenders put a 12 vavle cummins in it, anything you want as its your truck. And who cares what anyone else has to say. Is it a cherry ride sure is. But its bottom line is its a piece of equipment to be used how the operator wants to use it. Enjoy your purchase and have fun with it. The memories that truck will bring your wife and children is far more important imo than putting yet another clean CUCV in a bldg to collect dust.

:ditto:

wow, that is a great score! and i thought i got lucky with my m1010... it had 11,200mls and was 98% rust free, just a bit of surface on hood and pass door, and was $1600. as far as lifting it, i hear the same things when i tell ppl im lifting mine and going to 35-39" tires. but they seem to forget that most of us bought our trucks with an idea of what we wanted to make them already in our minds, and therefore we looked for the best example to do what we wanted to. we are converting ours to an expedition camper and tow rig for our offroad m37... maybe not what a purist would do, but its the best vehicle choice to suit our needs and budget. there are plenty of original and restored trucks out there, and i fully respect them, and the ppl that restore them. its just not the route we all want to go. the best thing about owning an unusual vehicle, is making it your own, whether that means full restore, or modding it... just build it so it makes YOU HAPPY!!

sandcobra164

I've learned the pioneer tools are behind the seat because my truck once had a firefighting apparatus in the bed and there was nowhere else to store the tools. Mine is one of the rare M1028FF's albeit missing the fire apparatus currently.

MSgt USMC (Ret)

"A cave in Norway." I love the Marines.
I participated in "Battle Griffin - 93" in northern Norway and again in 1996. We pulled vehicles from the caves near Bogen Bay and some near Narvik. The US pre-positioned enough equipment to support an Air Landed Marine Expeditionary Brigade in defense of northern Norway against a Soviet invasion from there common border.

The Marine Corps mission was to airlift a MEB size unit, land and marry up with the equipment already there. The Norwegians support agreement was to maintain the equipment in these caves to be fully operational upon the arrival of the Marines.

In central Norway around Trondheim there are caves that contain a complete Naval Hospital and enough ammo to start and complete WWIII.

We would usually bring a RO/RO (roll on roll off) ship full of our beat to death tactical vehicles to Norway and drop them off into the Norwegian maintenance cycle and pull out cream puff vehicles to take back to the States for there ultimate demise.

I never saw CUCV's in the caves but Hitler had conscripted the Norwegian males into slave labor to build untold amounts of these caves so there could be more of them still stashed away.

sandcobra164

I got a little more info on my truck yesterday. It arrived back in Albany packed into a 20 foot ISO Connex. I was talking to another guy on base today and he thought it was going to be his truck. He told me about when it showed up and he just knew he had a good farm vehicle but was outbid at auction. Nevertheless, I wish I had pics of the truck in the connex but he doesn't have any. For what it probably costed just to be sent back to the US, the GOV probably still lost money on the price I paid for my "NEW" ride. For the purist's who are concerned about this truck, the tires and rims showed up but the better half has proposed a new bedroom suit and a rebuilt porch. Like many, I know who the boss is and it will stay stock save for a CD player install. For the time being, the 8 inch lift and HMMWV Wheel's and tires will continue to be a dream. It's mileage has increased from 2100 to 2700 and it's been fully serviced and running strong as ever.

sandcobra164

Larry,
I've got drill this weekend so perhap's next weekend if you're interested in seeing the ole girl. She's a beauty to say the least.

sandcobra164

I got some paperwork on it this past week, it's cousin's showed up!!! Mine's 275, 269 and 277 showed up this week and 275 is on all there paperwork. They were the 3 CUCV firefighter's in Norway in case the need arrived on the airfield during an exercise. They spent most of their early time in Bjugn cave and were transferred to Frigaard around 1999. The trucks did support the Marines in an exercise, just training but none the less, neat paperwork. They left Frigaard on the basis that they were obsolete, the QA inspector determined they were old trucks and had them sent home. I got one from GL so to speak, the other is soon to be my "Work Truck" around the base and the other will go to another supervisor as his work truck. I did a little more research today, these trucks were the few and very last of cave CUCV's. These only got sent back for the fire extinguisher's mounted in the bed which were completely useless. Government at it's best!!!

joediveguy

Nice! GL has some gems left. I just picked up a M101A2 that was rebuilt/restored in 10/2009. Basically a new M101A2. All new wiring, new tires , bed, breaks, everything! I was very happy when I picked it up. I am very jealous on your truck! I was in Norway in 1992 on joint exercises and I recall the caves, and how freaken cold it was there! Semper Fi!

saddamsnightmare

December 10th, 2011.

Respectfully,

I would trade the wife in before I altered an virtually new M1028! Sell the truck to someone who will take better care of it..because if you are off roading that truck you are going to damage it...mark my words. That truck is a close to pristine as you are ever going to get, and off roading it is just wrong. Double or triple your money and go get a stateside beater for your conversion, as you are only the present owner, the future really owns that truck and it should be kept as it is....

Just my2cents worth, BUT you are never going to see that truck look that good ever again if you alter and off road it...fat lady sings

AJMBLAZER

December 10th, 2011.

Respectfully,

I would trade the wife in before I altered an virtually new M1028! Sell the truck to someone who will take better care of it..because if you are off roading that truck you are going to damage it...mark my words. That truck is a close to pristine as you are ever going to get, and off roading it is just wrong. Double or triple your money and go get a stateside beater for your conversion, as you are only the present owner, the future really owns that truck and it should be kept as it is....

Just my2cents worth, BUT you are never going to see that truck look that good ever again if you alter and off road it...fat lady sings
It's an old truck.

He owns it.

If he wants to cut it up for scrap or put a Pinto body on it guess what...

...it's an old truck that he owns.

sand, good luck with it and enjoy YOUR truck. If you need any advice, thoughts, whatever on modifying it lemme know.

that1028guy

Beautiful truck! I'm on the , it's your truck do what you want with it, band waggon. I'm doing the same with my was 1031 now 1028 soon to be lifted and doubler t cases. YOUR truck, enjoy it, make it yours!

I'm on the other side - since $$ are always hard to get, as is time, seems to me to simply make more sense to list it with the price at what is needed to buy or build (if the doing is the important thing) the CUCV of your dreams. Given the known providence and the rarity of M1028FF, the community should have someone or some museum / collection willing to fork out the $. Then you get the truck you want and spend nothing extra to get it.

If not, when you have the spare extra $ needed for your conversion, go for it. But at least give the community the chance to save a fairly rare almost pristine example of the M1028FF for posterity. If there are no takers - then everyone can quit bitchin...

And you'll only need a 4" lift and maybe 1" zero rates from ORD to fit the tires you want... check out the various threads like these:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/71603-m1031-5-lift-12-bolt-h1s-no-spacers-build.html
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/69413-o-r-d-4-lift.html
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/54154-my-cucv-lift.html

Last edited:

joediveguy

Shut yer pieholes!

Oh my, you have started a shiet storm of controversy here! Nice truck Brother, you own it, do what you like with it! All you other haters, pony up some $$ and make him an offer! Then you will own it and can do what you like with it! Until then, be happy that he got such a great deal on a twenty four year old NOS truck! Good freaken morning!:evil:

natem

My 2cents..........

1. It's your truck do what you want.

2. Document it's original condition. Photos, front to rear, top to bottom.

3. Start a new thread, "Do you remember using a Babe Ruth rookie card on you bicycle spokes?"

Nate

hokie8358

AWESOME TO SAY THE LEAST!! thats an angelic piece of machinery! great score! wish all the trucks from GL could be as nice as that one! my summer trip i am planning already is to norway for sight seeing! LOL:beer:

GoinNutts

Sweet truck!

2cents

If the truck is really worth what I have read it might be cost effective to sell and take money and buy another truck with 10x the miles ( a whopping 20,000 miles) and build away. It sounds like the truck build gets put off to other honey dos so the extra cash from selling it and buying another truck might jump start the truck build dream. I bought 2 trucks one with 17k and another w/ 18k miles. 17k truck great shape w/ good canvas and rails had sun burnt hood paid $4k. 18k truck super clean other then raped buy a jerk off forklift operator that caved in pass door and famous drive shaft torture paid $2.5k. Point being if you sold truck for $10k and had to pay $5000 for clean original truck w/ 20-30 miles you would have $5000 to play with. If you do decide to sell keep the profits on the down low (don't lie that opens a whole new can of worms) or they may magically get diverted to some other capital improvement

Last edited:

sandcobra164

I appreciate the kind comments from both sides. I've had the truck over a year now and the only change is an addition of a CD player and about 2,000 miles of driving. Of course, the honey do list and a few expenses have limited the budget for stuff we have no real need for so it's still sitting just as high as when it left the factory. I've included some pictures over the past year of the truck for those that are interested in looking at it. I completely understand the logic behind selling it for profit and buying a truck in decent condition to perform the mods to. Heck, I could probably break even or profit. But how many trucks are from a cave in Norway and how many trucks exist with paperwork proof that it was in there? That means quite a bit to me which is why I am not contemplating letting it go. I've done alot of research on Norway since purchasing and this truck is a neat piece of that.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks