• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

not a bad hmmwv roll cage idea

papakb

There are 2 attitudes about former military vehicles. There are those of us who appreciate their original purpose and history and those who see it as a starting point for some other purpose. This does tend to be a military vehicle forum, about keeping them alive and running and when we hear "modify the **** out of them" it hurts us veterans a bit. Enjoy your truck sir. There are plenty of rock crawler forums with like minded people posting there.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
First time I've ever thought one of those might be fun.

I guess I'll up my game to $750 purchase price from the original $500.

hangarhermit

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Alphaseventwo for the post. Even though mine are stock and will likely remain that way, I enjoyed seeing what they are actually capable of because, while mine are currently just intended for convoying to the range with my friends, it is nice to know what to expect if it ever becomes necessary to implement "Plan B". Plus, it is nice to be able to steer off-road naysayers to this "Dirt Everyday" episode if the debate comes into play. Thanks again from an old guy and old Humvees.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's your truck sir do what you want.
If it inproves safety I all for it.
And I've seen some mods that should be on the original truck.

alphaseventwo

Thanks Alphaseventwo for the post. Even though mine are stock and will likely remain that way, I enjoyed seeing what they are actually capable of because, while mine are currently just intended for convoying to the range with my friends, it is nice to know what to expect if it ever becomes necessary to implement "Plan B". Plus, it is nice to be able to steer off-road naysayers to this "Dirt Everyday" episode if the debate comes into play. Thanks again from an old guy and old Humvees.
I felt the same way when I saw this video. Great to see them test a hmmwv pretty much sight unseen, and great to see them come up with the best ROPS I've seen yet. As for Papakb trashing me a little bit for endorsing modifying these trucks, I think he has missed the point. Didn't they start the hmmwv program in the early '70s and modify the platform for 15 years before it rolled off the production floor? In my opinion its just Americans doing what Americans do best- assess, adapt, overcome, improve...

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like fun! I don't begrudge anyone doing what they want with their vehicle, HMMWV's are a dime a dozen now, not like watching someone with a rare musclecar put on crappy rims and low profile tires. THAT should be a crime LOL
The CUCV in the next show in Alaska was cool as a glacier too!

Last edited:

BLK HMMWV

I felt the same way when I saw this video. Great to see them test a hmmwv pretty much sight unseen, and great to see them come up with the best ROPS I've seen yet. As for Papakb trashing me a little bit for endorsing modifying these trucks, I think he has missed the point. Didn't they start the hmmwv program in the early '70s and modify the platform for 15 years before it rolled off the production floor? In my opinion its just Americans doing what Americans do best- assess, adapt, overcome, improve...
I think you missed his point.
The way I took it is pretty much verbatim on how he said it this is a HMMWV forum .
Not a modification forum.
At least that is how I read his "there are plenty of rock crawling forums"

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you missed his point.
The way I took it is pretty much verbatim on how he said it this is a HMMWV forum .
Not a modification forum.
At least that is how I read his "there are plenty of rock crawling forums"
Then the moderators should move it. Being there is no hotrodding/mod forum like there is with CUCV's, looks like it's in the right place currently. Man people are so uptight sometimes here.

Last edited:

ryanruck

So that was the sound I heard earlier that corresponded to the time of the OP... Heads exploding... :mrgreen:

Seriously though, I'm with gimpy. It'd be one thing to chop up an uncommon truck like the HMMWV prototype one member here scored or one of the unarmored Avenger variants that's been sold. However, 998s and 1038s aren't exactly rare and some of them, like it looks like the one in this video was, were probably a c-hair away from getting towed off to the gunnery range to become scrap metal.

This is a debate as old as the stars in the automotive world when it comes to desirable vehicles, whether mods/restomods/chops are sacrilege. I'm sure there are viewers that are steamed at PowerNation's Truck Tech chopping up their Model A for a project or Xtreme Off-Road's hacking up a D90 to stick it on a JK frame with a turbodiesel.

I can appreciate a faithful, date correct restoration just as much as I can appreciate something like this or some other builds I've seen. Both take blood, sweat, tears, and fortune by the owners to make happen and I respect that, whichever way it goes. Thankfully there's room enough in the world for both. ;)

ETA: Did it look like to anyone else they neglected to air down in the sand? And I'll admit, I did cringe a little when they were grinding the rockers on the rocks!

Last edited:

DLJIII

I understand both aspects of the restoration v. the customization.
The purest of pures stick to the restoration and that is respectable.
I have no issue with someone modifying their vehicle for whatever use they see fit.
Afterall, it is their property.
They can do a total body off restoration or they can put those hidious monster tires and a lift on it.
Telling someone to find another forum seems unamerican to me.
Kinda fascist really but, then again it is a fascist time in our history so it may be more acceptable now.
Anyone who says, do it our way or get out should remain silent as their input does not contribute anything.
Otherwise, a safety feature or modification should be welcomed considering it may save someone's life.
Simple as that, if adding seatbelts or safety glass, a roll cage is an offense what is the purpose of owning a MV?

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most people here that keep these trucks military use parts from all different year Hmmwv's, so none are purists.
I did meet a guy once....Once, that wanted his truck as a 1985.
As suggested before....Need a mod/hot rod section for the Hmmwv .

dilvoy

Most people here that keep these trucks military use parts from all different year Hmmwv's, so none are purists.
I did meet a guy once....Once, that wanted his truck as a 1985.
As suggested before....Need a mod/hot rod section for the Hmmwv .
Ya, I know that guy too! He needed my early NOS Right Hand Splash Guard and would find me every year at the Military Meet like we were old friends. After ten years, I let him buy it and I've never seen him again. LOL
I think the more Humvees that get into the hands of "BUBBA" are more Humvees that aren't scrapped or parted out, at least in the near future. After a couple of decades, those "BUBBAFIED" Humvees will be great parts donors for people wanting to get theirs running, when replacement parts are few and far between.

Last edited:

ryanruck

Ya, I know that guy too! He needed my early NOS Right Hand Splash Guard and would find me every year at the Military Meet like we were old friends. After ten years, I let him buy it and I've never seen him again. LOL
I think the more Humvees that get into the hands of "BUBBA" are more Humvees that aren't scrapped or parted out, at least in the near future. After a couple of decades, those "BUBBAFIED" Humvees will be great parts donors for people wanting to get theirs running, when replacement parts are few and far between.
Don't know if you've seen this: Under New Deal, US Allies Will Keep Getting The Ever Adaptable Humvee

Sounds like there's going to be spare parts coming out of AMG for quite a while longer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks