• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Not another M109 camper conversion

zout

If you wish to use the overhead access channel - here is I took care of the rusted screws.
I even puilled out my impact screwdriver (anyone owning a Honda or old jap bike knew the side scews well) they were in with the grip of GOD and did not want to budge.

I used my 4 in grinder and got rid of the screw head - popped the panels and wa la - do with it as I chose to do.
I just placed the panel back up (covering the old scews and took care of the old holes with it - drilled 3/32nd holes and used the air riveter and stuck er back up.

To hold the panel back up working alone I used a racket type cargo bar which also forced it tight.

Keep pics coming - looking good.

m109guy

Has anyone determined how many amps it will handle?

Vinny
No, I haven't tried putting a huge amount of amperage on the connection, but I would guess that it would be a good amount due to the size of the wiring and where it was going into. After I found this out, someone who worked in an M109 back in the day told me that it is where they usually wired in an AM/FM car radio to listen to music while working in the truck. Not an military approved modification, but it worked ;)

The only problem I have is the 109 I have was a Forest Service command unit after it's Military life, so all the wires were cut and so on. I can't seem to get all the screws out to expose the old wiring channel either. I wanted to run external wiring in a conduit anyway for ease of adding and maintianing later. I plan to use an RV power inverter to keep the batteries charged when using 110V plug in and to run my water pump, furnace, 12V lights and on and on. I love your truck I actually am using a lot of your ideas to make mine. (Just don't tell anybody)
Ah okay. That would make sense. I too have seen a lot of hacked up wiring on trucks. You do what you can with what is given to you ;)

If you have any questions on how I did certain things, please feel free to contact me. I just recently updated the website on my truck so it is easier to follow as well as adding more information.

Just in case your truck still has the wiring still in place and you think you might have use for it, this is what I found:

If you disconnect the top wiring plug that runs into the exhaust control panel, and put a multi-meter on the connections inside the socket on the wall, you will find that it will give you both 24v and 12v. I cut off the plug to use it for my accessories as I didn't need the exhaust control panel anymore (I removed the exhaust fan when I installed my shower/toilet in that area).

Here are some pictures which explain it better.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

m109guy

Hi M109guy,

I'm definitely interested in your alternator add on. Is that a major mod or just a bracket and wiring? Original belts?

Wrong person. It is 63sierra10 (the person that started this thread) that has the alternator add-on. I have a 24v-12v converter in my truck instead ;)

63sierra10

Hi M109guy,

I'm definitely interested in your alternator add on. Is that a major mod or just a bracket and wiring? Original belts?

I bought the kit from Wolverine Technologies I bought the 24V and 12V add on kit they have. It is really simple to do and the 24V uses the original belt and the 12V uses a belt that is included in the kit.

Check out their site at wolverinetechnologies.com

Last edited:

63sierra10

Ok I now have the 12V lights working and have the breaker box all wired. All I need to do is get a couple of breakers and away we go. I only installed two outlets, mostly because I am not going to use a TV or anything. I may use a microwave once in a while but no need for a massive amount of outlets. I also installed a light switch above where the sink will be to turn on the overhead lights. So here are a few pics, I just didn't get a pic of the lights working yet. I was able to track down enough of the old wiring and reuse it with a little rerouting.

Attachments

63sierra10

I like the curtains! Did your wife sew them up? I may have to copy that idea!:smile:
Don't tell anybody but I sewed them up myself:oops:. I was some extra material I had from a project I did earlier. In fact I redid the seats in the cab with that material, and then I used some cotton rope and some ring terminals from the wiring section at the local hardware store, then used the existing screws on the wall to fasten them.[thumbzup]

63sierra10

Looks good. Simple and sweet. As long as it works, it is all good.
Thanks, I am hoping it all turns out. I just need functional and not much more. I even chose not to do a toilet just for simplicity. I mean hey... A bear craps in the woods right? What's good enough for a bear is good enough for me to bare.rofl

63sierra10

I got all the lights working and the shower is framed in. Next is to get the water tanks installed and bed frames made so I know what I will do with the water lines, before I can dry wall and install the shower lining. I am putting the water tanks under the bed. They are both 30 gal. marine tanks.

Attachments

TigerHawk

FYI, in the bottom pic, the right side lower terminal is the power feed for the rear exhaust fan. It tests as a ground but if you try to ground to it the fan will run. It only tests as a ground if the fan is plugged in. I found that out when I keyed up my ham radio and the fan started....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks