• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Not enought numbers in VIN

Gerryat60

Has anyone had trouble getting a title for duece in Missouri because it does not have 17 digits in the serial number? Even if the SF-97 and Arizona title says it did not have one. I looked through other post but could not find the answer I was looking for. Thanks Gerry

mcmullag

Best of luck

I had the same problem recently in Colorado for a truck I won at a GL auction.
I paid extra for the SF97 and then they made me get a VIN verification form filled out by a dealer. They were still confused. I explained to them that this here thing came out of the military and it has a serial number, not a VIN number.
They had to speak to a superviser but I left and then got my title in the mail.
Before and after.

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ask them to pull up any 1969 Plymouth in their system and see how many it has. FYI it's 13.

The "standardized" 17 digit VIN did not begin until 1981-prior to that, there was no standard.

Most any vehicle prior to the Seventies or Eighties will have far less than 17.

Of course, this won't do you much good, I just had 2 of clintogf's deuces inspected by a LEO for her to get them titled and to our luck, the data plate has the army registration # and the VIN together on one line and they equal 17 digits.

It took me quite a while to convince the Officer that only the "0325-XXXXX" was the VIN and the other was immaterial for our purposes.

Jimma

I just walked in and said you will notice the vin number is short. This is standard procedure for a vin / serial number that is attached to a former govmt. vehicle. They said okay, thanks for clarifying that and printed me my registration.

renovate7

When I went to get my title here in Florida, with a 6 digit "Vin", they said this vehicle is already registered. Turns out somehwere in Florida there is a really OLD mobile home with the same number. Took a call to Tallahassee to straighten it out. Now there are 2 registered vehicles in state with the same Vin.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I went to get my title here in Florida, with a 6 digit "Vin", they said this vehicle is already registered. Turns out somehwere in Florida there is a really OLD mobile home with the same number. Took a call to Tallahassee to straighten it out. Now there are 2 registered vehicles in state with the same Vin.

But only one is braced for hurricanes!

bornready71

I had a similar problem in Kansas. The state inspector did not want to pass my truck due to short vin. I made her call the state capitol and talk to her supervisor. He told it was ok and I now have my truck titled in Kansas.

Gerryat60

Had some luck today, had a LEO come by today with a VIN verification form. He checked the VIN and said it looked good to him. He filled out a form (MO) 5062 and put in the remarks box "vehicle is a retired military vehicle and has a non-standard VIN" , he said this should please the people in Jeff City. And if I have any more trouble give him a call. This what I call service with a smile.:grin: Gerry

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great news Gerry, thanks for posting the positive experience with a LEO. Good luck with the rest of the process and, of course, nopics

Rick

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Excellent.

Yep, always best just to do the serial number without the registration number. Other than the dataplate on the dash, you won't find the registration number imprinted/stamped into the frame anywhere.

jasonjc

I got 2 truck from a member in MO 1 had just the frame number like it should on the MO title. And 1 had the reg number added to the frame number. So they will do it right if you hold them too it. You just have to know more about there job than they do:???:.

jwaller

I had the exact same thing happen in Ga. my deuce has the same vin as a mobile home.rofl

Jakob

Here in Kentucky, they had to enter it differently. I think they called it a "non-standard VIN" and had to do a couple things differently on the computer. It still took a call to the main office in Frankfurt and two experienced clerks to get it done.

Gerryat60

not enough numbers in VIN

Good idea, but I didn't think about adding a couple of 00 to the front of the vin. I was trying to do the right thing, without changing the vin. But like the above reply the LEO put on the form 5062 that it was a non-standard vin. He said that should take care of it.

randygk

After several hours last week and 3 hours on Sunday searching SS and Google for VIN, NSN,FSN, and all related info, it's starting to make a little more sense. With 6 deuces I have to title 5 of them. The first, '67 Kaiser was already registered, Ca used the contract number for the vin, and I'm going to leave it alone until it needs to be dealt with. The starting frame numbers on the others match what I've read here, 0125 on the '67, 0525 on the wo/w, and 0539 on the w/w. I do have one deuce that has the frame numbers stamped forward of the steering gusset plate and reads 122329. The truck was blue at one time, any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Randy

pick

Here in Kentucky, they had to enter it differently. I think they called it a "non-standard VIN" and had to do a couple things differently on the computer. It still took a call to the main office in Frankfurt and two experienced clerks to get it done.
I'm looking at a deuce that has bill of sale only here in Ky. Can it be titled?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks