• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Now the search begins.

Sarge29

:jumpin: Well I just became the owner of a slightly used HMMWV. It is an M998 that will need some work to get it back on the road. But with a few parts and a couple sheets of sandpaper it will be as good as new. As they say " it just needs a little spit and polish"!:roll: The previous owner decided that they liked red and now because I like green I will need to break out the sandpaper. I will make the recovery on Monday. I will try to get some recovery pics posted. Now the search for parts begins. If anyone has a few unwanted parts laying around send me a message. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Here are a few shots of what I bought.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might want to check with Papercu. Last time I was there he was paving the driveway with HMMWV soft doors and re-roofed his barn with the tops. He can host a platoon on all of the troopseats.

Chief_919

On an ex municipal HMMWV, make sure 100% of your paperwork is in order and the sale is very, very well documented.

99% of the municipal fire and police trucks were handed out under the condition that when done they be either demilled or returned to the DOD. There have been cases of the DOD coming knocking after a municpality sells a truck wanting it back...

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On an ex municipal HMMWV, make sure 100% of your paperwork is in order and the sale is very, very well documented.

99% of the municipal fire and police trucks were handed out under the condition that when done they be either demilled or returned to the DOD. There have been cases of the DOD coming knocking after a municpality sells a truck wanting it back...

:ditto: As with anything that "looks too good to be true", CHECK OUT all the paperwork details lest Uncle Sam might show up to do his own RECOVERY.

Sarge29

Thanks to all for the info. I will be in touch with those mentioned that have parts.
Chief, ColdWarrior, I will be careful with the paper tail on this purchase. I would hate to put lots of work and money into this and then Uncle Sugar walk in and take it away. Thanks for the heads-up.
Not really a demil, The previous owner was a fireman and he pulled some parts off of this one to fix another. I don't know if it will run or not but it is a starting point. I just need to figure an easy way to get the red off of it. Someone mentioned oven cleaner but I am not sure that will work with aluminum. Any thoughts?

Sarge29

HMMWV info

Thanks to all for the info. I will be in touch with those mentioned that have parts.
Chief, ColdWarrior, I will be careful with the paper tail on this purchase. I would hate to put lots of work and money into this and then Uncle Sugar walk in and take it away. Thanks for the heads-up.
Not really a demil, The previous owner was a fireman and he pulled some parts off of this one to fix another. I don't know if it will run or not but it is a starting point. I just need to figure an easy way to get the red off of it. Someone mentioned oven cleaner but I am not sure that will work with aluminum. Any thoughts?

As always great info from a great group!!

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Steve,

Oven cleaner may attack the aluminum if it gets through the paint - please be careful! On a related note, Wally World sells Rustoleum self-etching primer, which is needed for paint to stick to bare aluminum (unless you are powder coating). I think Jim Henry in Albemarle, NC. 704-983-5940 has some parts, he had a HMMWV at the Uwharrie rally this past spring.

Sarge29

Thanks Mike. I was aware of some oven cleaners don't play well with aluminum. I think I will stick to aircraft stripper. I will give Jim Henry a call. He is not that far away.

Oldfart

It depends on the kind of Demil required. Some things are as simple as cutting the gun barrel off and cutting parts of the breech so they cannot be re assembled. Others are like removing military radios or other equipment still currently in use.

I have heard that since Government Motors was phasing out its production of civilian hummers, the military would be allowed to dispose of their surplus without having to chop them up. I also heard the Marines managed to trade a bunch of theirs for new equipment and those trade-ins were able to make it to civilian ownership.

bugei

sarge,

lately we have been using the scotch brite paint remover disks, way less messy then aircraft stripper. but i dont know if they will play well with aluminum. might be ok on the "big flats" if you are REALLY careful

Sarge29

OK, I have not tried the scotch brite disks before. I will give then a try. And I will be careful. There is lots of red to remove so the easier the better.
Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks