• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Now the search begins.

dilvoy

The early HMMWV Halfshafts are the weakest. They upgraded them fairly early on. Early enough so that when the Hummers came out in '92 the upgrade type is what was used on them. They are a direct bolt in for the early HMMWV halfshafts. Rear Medium length both sides. Left Front short and Right Font long. If you look on E Bay a bit, you will notice that the upgrade units have differences to the shapes of the CV housings. There are the 12 K units as well, but you would need to change out the Drive Gear in the Geared hub to use those. They look very different than the earlier two Half Shaft designs. You could do very well with a civilian Hummer/H1 parts manual and a service manual as well. Lots of stuff is the same.

Sarge29

HMMWV Info

Thanks for the info. That will help. I will try to locate the civilian H1 manuals. I felt sure that some things were close if not the same. I had no idea that the 92 hummer halfshaft would work in a 998.
Thanks again,

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i'm surprised it had a manual glow plug switych put it. unlike CUCVs the HMMWV system seldom has a problem. at least that has been my experience. You can find a PCB on ebay most likely.

Sarge29

Pcb

I pulled the PCB out and opened it up. There is 1 trace on the back of the board that is burnt. Not sure if that is all that is bad. I am going to fix that trace and try it just to see if it works. The glow plug bypass was wired into the solenoid. It had a hot wire to a push button on the dash and then into the PCB to the pos control post on the solenoid. Crude but effective.

Sarge29

Transmission

I picked up a transmission out of a 1008 to put into the HMMWV. I decided to put in the transmission then put the transfer case in after that. I am using a floor jack to do this , so you can guess how that went. All was going well until I tried to put the 218 transfer case in. I am using the transmission support (part between the trans and transfer) that was in the 1008. I can not get the bolts to line up. Is there a different mount for this?
Thanks,
Sarge29

battlebuggy

Different transfer case in the 1008 vs the humvee. The humvee 218 is heavier duty and if it has the hd humvee transfer case used now which is the NVG242AMG it is heavier still. Different bolt patterns. U will have to use the adapter that was in the humvee between the trans and tcase. This may mean that the output shaft on the 3L80 trans needs to be changed to the correct one for the humvee. IIRC the output shafts are different on the transmission for the 2 applications.

RDUKW

Why do you want to remove the red paint? If it is not peeling and is bonded well then I would scuff it and prime and paint it. If you strip it you will want to use a zinc chromate primer like they did originally with the aluminum body otherwise the paint will start peeling sooner then you want.

Ryan

Sarge29

Transfer case

The transfer case adapter was remover by the previous owner so i will have to do some looking to find another one. I am a little confused here so bear with me. I am putting the 218 transfer in behind the 3l80 that was in a 1008. If i use this setup will I need to do anything to the trans output shaft?

Sarge29

Finally got the t-case adapter. Now just gotta find the time to get it in. This thing is coming together pretty well. Maybe I will get to smell smoke soon. Pics to follow.
Thanks for all the help

Sarge29

Paint

RDUKW, I think you have the best solution. The red paint is bonded well and not peeling (looks like a pro paint job) so I guess the best thing to do is scuff and paint like suggested. That will be the hardest part of this project. I hate sanding and painting.
Sarge29