• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

nv4500 or 700r4?

mtjbrown

I have done searches for this topic on both trannys. What I am asking if anybody has done either of these swaps, what was the better combination in a M1008 or M1009. I have a M1031 that I want to drive faster than 60 on the interstate. Looking for input, thanks.

Mark

raiburn

It will be much more work and coin to change to a manual tranny.
But, yes the nv4500 comes factory in one ton trucks, so buku beef.
I'm not sure, but they should have similar overdrive ratios for max speed.

bgekky3

The NV4500 has a slightly higher overdrive ratio. I have two trucks that have the NV4500 and a 700r4, but hey are both civy gassers.

I have the 6.51 first gear ratio in the trans, 4.56 gears, and 35 inch tires with the 4500. I rarely use 1st unless I am in sand. It keeps me from going into low range. It helps when I tow though. You have to use special gear lube in it too.

First in the 700 is 3.06 if I remember correctly.

I had slippage issues with the Luk clutch, so I replaced it with a centerforce ceramic.

I bought a combo from Gear Tech that included a rebuilt NV4500, NP205, clutch, bellhousing, and flywheel. It was around $3,000. I got the pedals from salvage yard.

I am going to put a lift and either 35s or 37s in the 1008. If that doesn't work for me I am going with a 700r4.

mtjbrown

The NV4500 has a slightly higher overdrive ratio. I have two trucks that have the NV4500 and a 700r4, but hey are both civy gassers.

I have the 6.51 first gear ratio in the trans, 4.56 gears, and 35 inch tires with the 4500. I rarely use 1st unless I am in sand. It keeps me from going into low range. It helps when I tow though. You have to use special gear lube in it too.

First in the 700 is 3.06 if I remember correctly.

I had slippage issues with the Luk clutch, so I replaced it with a centerforce ceramic.

I bought a combo from Gear Tech that included a rebuilt NV4500, NP205, clutch, bellhousing, and flywheel. It was around $3,000. I got the pedals from salvage yard.

I am going to put a lift and either 35s or 37s in the 1008. If that doesn't work for me I am going with a 700r4.

Yeah, I am running 255/85/16 which measure out at ~33.5" didn't do enough, still not comfortable any speed over 62 or 63 for an extended period of time.

Mark

Texas Manny

I weighed out the NV4500 and 700R4 for my MUDDER: a 1983 K10 on 12" lift w/39.5's, 4.56, NP208 Fixed Yoke. I was originally running a SM465. Hands down, NV4500! Better overall. With my gearing, the NV4500 @ 65 mph will turn 1820 RPM's. It's great!

ARS1776

I like the NV4500 as a transmission- BUT-

The gear splits are miserable for a diesel. I spend a fair amount of time driving a very well-built 6.5 Turbo with an NV4500 behind it. Low is useless most of the time, and you have to rev the snot out of the thing in 1-3 to not lug it when you shift up. The OD is nice, but honestly I'm going to stick a Gear Vendors OD behind the transfer case and keep the strength of the TH400.

ODdave

i had a nv4500 w/6.5 turbo, 315/75/16's, and 3.73 gears in my 1028. would do 95-100. State police verified this for me :roll:

i think a 4500 and a lil taller tires and you would be fine

i forgot to mention, you will need a pedal assembly from a 85-91 ONE TON (or hydro boost truck) other wise your brake pedal to booster pin is a different size and location. you can knock the old pin from your cucv's pedal and drill a new hole in your doner set just make shure it is welded in **** good.

Last edited:

mtjbrown

Thanks for all the replies. The nv4500 is looking real good except for one thing, THE COST!!! Did those of you with 4500's manage to find any in the junkyard? I have been looking at 700r4 for around 1K rebuilt heavy duty with the appropriate torque converter, the 4500 conversion is looking to be around 2500 to 3000 bucks:x:sad:

bgekky3

My dad has a salvage yard and he hasn't had any NV4500s for a long time.

One more thing about the 4500 and NP205 combo is the gear noise. It gets loud on the highway. I wear hearing protection for long highway trips. I put extra insulation on the floor too.

The 700 will not last long unless you lock up the converter. It will start to make heat if it is stalling (the converter) and not locked up at speed.

The truck with the 700 has a 525 horse smallblock with a 175 shot of N2O. The trans came out of an 88 blazer with 88k miles. I put a shift kit and a big cooler on it. I manually lock the converter with a toggle switch. There was a bunch of clutch in the pan when I put in the shift kit. I just ran it bc I did not want to rebuild it at the time. It is hating life but it is still holding on.

motormayhem

The 700r4 did come behind the civvy diesel blazers and I know a few people who wheel the civvy 6.2 with a 700r4 and so far no problems. But my th400 just died and I looked at a bunch on info and decided to stick with the th400 over the 700r4. The 700r4 is more likely to die and more $$ to rebuild. The tranny guy I talked to said that he would not run a 700r4 in anything that worked (trailers/oversize tires/off road) but if you are just going to use it for mall crawling and street cruising it would be ok. He recommended the nv4500 if you have deep pockets or a gear vender over drive for the th400.

As for not seeing to many nv4500's in the junkyard it is because they never die!

4bogginchevys

wow, sounds like some of you need to take a trip this direction. two weeks ago there was a truck with the nv, and a month before that there was 2. I just looked online at the prices to be sure....55 for tranny, 13 for clutch, 10 for transfer adapter, and 60 for transfer case. If you leave it all married and run it that way your under 150 for all the gear boxes. Anyoneone close enough to drive here for a smokin' deal can inquire with me and I can keep an eye out for you. I go there atleast once a week..... :p

motormayhem

wow, sounds like some of you need to take a trip this direction. two weeks ago there was a truck with the nv, and a month before that there was 2. I just looked online at the prices to be sure....55 for tranny, 13 for clutch, 10 for transfer adapter, and 60 for transfer case. If you leave it all married and run it that way your under 150 for all the gear boxes. Anyoneone close enough to drive here for a smokin' deal can inquire with me and I can keep an eye out for you. I go there atleast once a week..... :p
:drool: Thats almost worth the drive from Tucson! Here a cheap one is over 1,000

nhdiesel

Autos do NOT work well behind a diesel (the exception being the Allison, which is more purpose-built for diesels). Autos require line pressure to work properly- the higher the line pressure, the less chance of slippage (generally speaking). This works well for gas engines- they build power as RPMs increase. But most diesels build max torque at low RPMs, which destroys most autos quickly. This isn't as bad for the GM V-8 diesels, since they make their power at higher RPMs than inline diesels, but its still something to consider.

Add to that the fact that you are considering one of the worse autos GM ever produced. They went from very weak in the early years to marginal in later years. There are companies who can build them for a bit more strength, but you pay for the strength.

I really like my NV4500 that I swapped into my Durango (behind a 4bt Cummins). I paid $630 (including tax) for a low mileage used one, picked up the bellhousing and flywheel housing for $125, and bought the clutch & flywheel as a package from Napa. I think I had around $1200 (or less) into the whole transmission.

Too bad you weren't looking a little while ago, a few months back i was hurting for money so I sold a GM version NV4500, with the rare granny low (6.32:1) first gear for $400. That included the bellhousing.

Go to Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market to look for the trans. I got mine from a boneyard in Maine with warranty.

Jim

Croatan_Kid

I've had both transmissions in my M1008. By far, the best mod I ever did was the NV4500....but with the Cummins in front of it :beer:

But seriously, I liked my 700R4, built it myself and it held up great. I did just about every mod possible to it at the time. I think I spent about 800 bucks on parts for it. The main enemy of any automatic and the root of all failures is HEAT. Keep it cool and it'll live a long time.

I like my NV4500 though, all my trucks have manual transmissions so I might be slightly biased. However, the 4500s have some common problems. The synchros on 3rd gear like to go out and if it's a Dodge version, the 5th gear nut likes to back off and cause bad things to happen. My 3rd gear synchros are worn out, so I just don't push the clutch pedal which makes it easier for me to drive.

It'll be expensive to go with the 4500 and getting a transfer case to go behind it might be a chore. Most people go with the round pattern NP205, but again...EXPENSIVE. Plus you have to use a spacer and they only made that model of NP205 from 85-91. If you do wind up going with that, I highly suggest a cast iron tailhousing for that NV4500.