• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Nylon Radiator Fan?

rustystud

What's the haps, FMJ?
I just discovered today that I need to buy a fan and I'm trying to justify $125 for a nylon one over $35 for a used steel one. I'm also considering about $100 for an electric one.
If I had the extra cash I would get the Nylon one, for the weight savings on the water pump bearings if for nothing else. The electric one will always need your alternator working fine, in an emergency you might not have it so, broken belt, bad regulator, bad alternator, batteries blew up !!! You just never know.

ATPTac

If I had the extra cash I would get the Nylon one, for the weight savings on the water pump bearings if for nothing else. The electric one will always need your alternator working fine, in an emergency you might not have it so, broken belt, bad regulator, bad alternator, batteries blew up !!! You just never know.
I'm probably going to order one at some point, just not high on the priority list at the moment.

I agree about the electric fan issue, if anybody read the recovery thread of our second truck, you'll see why I probably won't get an electric fan (alternator dumped out on me, and it completely killed my batteries).

rustystud

There has been more then once when I was aiming a flashlight out the window to see where I was going because the stupid charging system went out on a vehicle. The last thing I would need at the time, would be an overheating engine !

SteelWarrior

Maybe it would be feasible to install the electric fan and some sort of a battery backup on a switch for it so you could flip the switch and run it off the spare battery - which would also give you access to more juice if you really needed it for other things (as some others have done).

GregSLSTJ

flex a lite fan

Thought I would share my plastic fan modification. I had a leaking stock radiator that I replaced with a Summit Racing street universal and in the process thought I would ditch the heavy stock fan. It's a flx-416. Just had to enlarge the pilot hole and trim the curved blade a little but no big deal it's plastic. You can feel it move air through the rad at idle. So far so good.

2014-02-22_13-49-55_652.jpg2014-02-22_13-50-06_193.jpg2014-02-22_13-50-11_636.jpg2014-02-22_13-49-46_661.jpg

oddshot

I had a leaking stock radiator that I replaced with a Summit Racing street universal
The radiator looks a little short, Did you check the capacity & surface area?

Do you have the part number on that radiator?

If these radiators spec out right, Summit has some pretty sweet prices compared to NOS ... or even rebuilds.

But its not going to do any good if its too small.

... in the process thought I would ditch the heavy stock fan. It's a flx-416. Just had to enlarge the pilot hole and trim the curved blade a little but no big deal it's plastic. You can feel it move air through the rad at idle. So far so good.
I just looked at the on-line Summit catalog. Unless I'm looking at the wrong part ... this fan cost you about TWENTY THREE BUCKS???:shock:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/flx-416

If you ain't off-roading your Deuce AND it keeps things cool going up and down north Georgia hills in August ... its a no-brainer.

Thanks.

T

Last edited:
Reactions: HDN

Another Ahab

Has anyone "upgraded" to a nylon fan? There are some on FleaBay for sale for $125. I wouldn't mind using it alone or along with the thermal fan clutch mod this summer.

View attachment 475488View attachment 475489
Walked the thread, state-to-finish, and I'm sold:

- Can't remember if I'm breaking "the law" by asking this, but...

- what's the spec on the fan you bought (i.e., manufacturer. model#, etc)?

rustystud

Thought I would share my plastic fan modification. I had a leaking stock radiator that I replaced with a Summit Racing street universal and in the process thought I would ditch the heavy stock fan. It's a flx-416. Just had to enlarge the pilot hole and trim the curved blade a little but no big deal it's plastic. You can feel it move air through the rad at idle. So far so good.

View attachment 488002View attachment 488003View attachment 488004View attachment 488005
What I want to know is, what is the part number of the radiator you used ! Does it still keep your rig cool ?

GregSLSTJ

after market radiator and fan

These are the part numbers I used. Flex a lite 416 - 16" standard rotation fan (puller)
SUM 380425 alum. cross flow radiator.
flex rad hose dac 81381
curved rad hose gtr 60376
curved rad hose gtr 60762
Yes the radiator is shorter because it is a cross flow the stock rad is down flow. The capacity was reduced by about a gallon and a half of coolant but the huge expansion tank on top of the stock radiator can account for most of that. The new rad has more fins per sq in. If this radiator can cool a 400 hp street hot rod it will cool our 140 hp trucks. As far as the hoses I had to cut and adapt them but it was easy. The mounting brackets are re worked stock ones. I also still used a 7 psi cap with recovery tank so I can keep an easy eye on coolant level.
As far as the gap below the radiator I filled it with a sheet of aluminum I had laying around. Should keep air from going around the rad.

2014-02-22_15-08-33_395.jpg

oddshot

As far as the gap below the radiator I filled it with a sheet of aluminum I had laying around. Should keep air from going around the rad.
Are you considering a shroud around the fan?

The price is really sweet ... as long as it get the job done in August pulling up and down these hills.

BTW

Greg ... thanks for the info!!!

Last edited:

GregSLSTJ

I thought about a fan shroud as they make cheap aftermarket ones for hot rods. I just figured I would see how this works and if need be can always add one. Time will tell how it holds up in summer heat and pulling hills. I think because the fan is lighter and maybe more efficient the engine seems to rev up a little quicker as an added bonus!

GregSLSTJ

Well for the larger diameter fan it would hang down past the bottom of the radiator and probably not add to cooling. I'm pretty sure due to updated design it moves more air than our stock fan even though it is smaller. The pitch of the blades is also way more aggressive. The part number is for a puller or standard rotation so your good to go. If this truck starts to overheat in summer, you guys will be the first to know! Gotta just trust in new technology I guess..

FarmerRob

Well for the larger diameter fan it would hang down past the bottom of the radiator and probably not add to cooling. I'm pretty sure due to updated design it moves more air than our stock fan even though it is smaller. The pitch of the blades is also way more aggressive. The part number is for a puller or standard rotation so your good to go. If this truck starts to overheat in summer, you guys will be the first to know! Gotta just trust in new technology I guess..
Yep, for the aluminum radiator, the 16" will probably fine. I'm just saying that if somebody is replacing the fan on a stock setup (direct replacement, like this thread was originally about), then better to match the diameter as closely as possible to take advantage of the built-in shroud on the radiator.

Last edited:

rustystud

Greg, could you post some more pictures of your radiator install ? Especially how it's mounted up and the hose routing . Thanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks