• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

OD Green Affliction

JOAT 0311

I will introduce myself and then get into my first project. First a little background, like most of us here I have loved military trucks since I was a kid. I have always wanted to get 1 or 5. Ten yrs ago I was stopping to look at Deuces for sale on the side of the road. I finally did the homework and decided to get 1 last year. I had been trying to work a deal with a friend who has 2 M35s. While checking the usual sites I ran across an M109 on Ebay. It was w/in my decided price range and strangely enough no one was bidding on it. I secured funds and bid the starting price. After a phone call and specific ?s with the seller,ie. mileage/hours.brakes "I won't use paypal will you take cash" I had a deal in progress. Now keep in mind I am too cheap to win auctions. I always get outbid. To my disbelief I actually won a truck at GL prices on Ebay. Now came the hard part how in the **** do I get to MS from WI, In two days I have to drive this truck back that will probably break on the way home and work it out with the wife. She is asking me why I need another vehicle, where the money came from and what the **** is wrong with me. Luckily, I took the time to inform her there was something wrong with me before we were married. Her line of questioning became rhetorical. I have also made it clear that Marines do not negotiate with terrorists therefore, ultimatums and threats are null and void.

This is the ebay picture of my first truck and obviously my avatar.

Attachments

JOAT 0311

The Recovery:
So I am off to MS at 10pm on a Fri night in Oct after work. It wasn't bad approx 700 miles each way. I took my wifes Nissan and a bunch of Mt Dew and beef jerky and a friend to drive the Nissan back and keep me awake. We make it to Tupelo MS at about 12:30pm and I call the seller to set up the meet. Truck starts, drives, stops. It was in much better shape than I expected. I paid got the paperwork and a crash course on how to drive a deuce. 1:30pm we are back on the road looking for fuel. I was infantry and weapons/Demo. I have ridden in a deuce but very seldom had the chance to drive one. My buddy took point with the Garmin and I took it slow and easy. So fuel some southern southern BB-Q we are headed North again. I took an hour nap in the deuce somewhere in Tn so I could see straight again. The truck ran better and better the more I drove it. I did have a oil leak that came from the front up the inside of the hood and back into the clutch but once the seals warmed up that took care of itself. I took some time for the state troopers in Southern IL. They wanted to know what year the truck was and where I served etc. Of course fuel stops during the day Sun took a little longer when the crowds would come. The picture is one of the places we stopped on the way back in southern IL. That is my friend who was kind enough to give up his weekend for a quick jaunt to MS. We made it back to WI around 4pm Sun afternoon. I parked the truck at a friends to lessen the shock my wife might experience and it was time for some hygiene and rack Ops.

Attachments

JOAT 0311

Joat 0311 quick profile:
My name is Sean, I am in my mid 30's and have been married about 8 yrs w/1 son. He is 7 and loves riding to school in the deuce. Previously USMC 0311 and 0351 2000-2004. Currently volunteer EMS in South Eastern Wi. Working on getting into Law Enforcement may take the summer off to work on trucks and camp w/ the family. I am really not that interesting so this won't take long.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1970 M109 w/o w
19?? M35a2 w/w
1979 P35 Grumman service truck "Half Loaf"
1990 VW Jetta Diesel "Tool Truck"

JOAT 0311

Thanks srodocker, I really haven't had much time to post. Partially to my slow typing skills and what can I say, I really like to work on the trucks. I go to work once in a while too, actually quite a bit. I haven't been able to convince my wife to support me yet. She says I am still attractive. I guess just not enough to let me stay home and work on trucks. Any way I will get into the project phase tonight after work. I posted in Hot Rodding intentionally.......

ranchhopper

I stopped and stayed in that same motel I was driving an 818 home from jefferson city MO. when the lights crapped out an hour and a half from home.It got to dark to drive safely so I parked it for the night next to that plane I believe thats the IL17 exit.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Very good! Welcome.

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy JOAT 0311,

Welcome to the site.

I am interested in doing something sililiar with a short school bus.

How do you plan on lifting the panel van in order to swap chassis?
You can't jack onto the underside as some where the wheels have to roll past.
I thought about 6x6 thru a fw of the windows with cinder block peirs.

I will watch the thread as I am interested in your progress.
Thanx
Tony

JOAT 0311

The Project:
My intent all has always been to build a truck that is practical and fun as well as unique. I decided the best fit for me would be a single axle rear end van bodied truck that had the simplicity and versatility of the deuce and multifuel. I wanted a lightweight body that would not rust and could provide the space for motorhome amenities. I also wanted to use the weight capacity for fuel and water. I will be using this truck to haul a trailer and also as a lodge for hunting bear/boar for up to 4 people. Of course camping is more fun in 4 wheel drive. For day to day use I will have a vehicle that can haul my tools and food for Rallies, work and projects. The list can go on as we all know by now. Here is the rough and dirty list for this summer................

-Singled stock rims w/G177's
-Winch
-12 volt 180 amp alt. add on
-Optima Batteries 4 Red Tops 2 in series 24V and 2 in Parallel 12V (Sep Battery Boxes)
I may substitute a yellow top in each box
-Replace and repair wiring
-PeterBuilt drivers seat
-12 volt hella headlights
-12 volt LED clear tail/turn/brake lights
-Custom steering wheel(Wood/Chrome from a peterbuilt)
-Dual Master Cylinder Split for safety w/4 duece air tanks 2 per Frt/Rr
-Electric cooling fan
-Heated fuel tanks
-Spin on filters
-Longer rear drive shaft w/bearing and collar

There is more but this will get us started. I should be able to get most of the list done before the snow comes. I will leave you with some pictures. I also have one of my M35 parts truck. I really prefer not to take my 109 apart. You can't buy just 1 deuce, that's crazy. I bought the M35a2 from 6x6 guy. Great guy, It is nice to have the right kind of bad influence around. TO ALL THE NEW DEUCE OWNERS OR SOON TO BE!!! GO FIND A FRIEND WHO ALREADY HAS A LOT OF TRUCKS. THIS WAY 2 OR 3 WON'T SEEM LIKE TOO MUCH. YOU MIGHT EVEN START TO BUY MULES AND JEEPS. Disclaimer: I am in no way encouraging anyone to do something they can't afford. The bright side is no one listens to me anyway.

Attachments

JOAT 0311

The Van body is up on stands ready for a frame underneath. I was able to get rid of the GM frame and motor when scrap was high. I did part out quite a bit. I sold my hardtop to a friend who is taking one of his M35's to his place in AK. The trailer is a 10K lb dual axle that I stripped for later. Last but not least the picture of the M35 as I bought it. This is about 2 or 3 weeks ago. Enjoy, JOAT 0311 out.

Attachments

JOAT 0311

Work on the M35:
So anyway, I really was not interested in taking my M109 apart so 6x6guy said he would sell me a parts truck to go under the aluminum van body. The pictures that follow show my progress over the last 2 or 3 weeks.

Attachments

JOAT 0311

I did remove the bed before I removed the fuel tank,tandems, etc. I didn't take any pictures though. I realized very quickly how heavy everything was. The little bobcat you may have noticed was a nice idea. It proved to be less than useful for most of the lifting. So I went with big timber and jacks to get the truck up in the air. here's more pictures. You may be able o see the"tool Truck" behind the tandems. I must need more tools the tires don't rub yet.

Attachments

davidkroberts

man i think you drove that 109 right by the house (dyersburg tennessee) just up hwy 45 from tupelo miss, glad you made it and got a good start on the truck(s). your right you just cant stop with one. Its just too much fun.:driver:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks