• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

OD Iron's Remote Oil Filter...A How To

bottleworks

Mid June, I received OD Iron's remote oil filter kit to install and get some hours on the setup. As long as it isn't predicted to rain, I drive the Deuce approximately 40 miles a day...The hours quickly add up.

The kit is very complete and easy to install. It comes with a generous length of hose that you cut to length depending on where you choose to install the remote oil filter. The recommended filter is a Wix 51792XD. I didn't realize just how big this filter is until I had it in my hands. The Wix 51970XD looks like a Honda filter compared to the 51792XD.

I opted to keep the install quick and simple, so I installed the filter housing angled on the driver's fender. For a fender install, the weight of the filter assembly (filled with oil) should be considered. I will be reinforcing the fender in the upcoming weeks.

For sealing the base of the oil filter canisters, the kit comes with gaskets instead of the stock rubber o-rings. Be-sure to clean the mating surface well. For the adapter bolt seal, the stock felt ring seal is replaced with a high quality copper crush ring. The upper surface of the canister where the adapter bolt seals has been machined to be absolutely parallel with the bottom of the canister.

With the adapter bolts torqued down, install the 90 degree fittings (with thread sealer) into the bolts. I prefer to use yellow thread tape (.003" thickness) when sealing the threads. Then install the remote filter base where you prefer and install the hoses.

Overall results... Great! There has been zero leaks and I don't feel the urge to constantly check it (like with my setup). The time-to-pressure is approximately 5 seconds cold. With a warm engine, time-to-pressure is a second. A preluber would be a great compliment to this system. Replacement filters through NAPA online retails @ $61.99. This is well worth it and does save money in the long term.

You can buy the filter setup @ OD Iron . This includes both machined canisters. There is a $50 core charge for the canisters (Included in the list price). Once you get your kit installed, send him back your old canisters and you will get your core charge fee back.

If you need more pictures, I have 32 pictures posted here:
http://bottleworks.homeunix.net/remote-oil-filter/

-Bradley

Attachments

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see that there is one line in and one line out. Don't the orignals both go in and out. Or does the oil pass throught one filter and then through the other?

bottleworks

ken said:
I see that there is one line in and one line out. Don't the orignals both go in and out. Or does the oil pass throught one filter and then through the other?
The "in" bolt is hollow to allow the oil to flow from the remote filter directly into the "post filter" oil channel/path. It's the same flow pattern that the stock filters take (through the hollow canister bolt).

The "out of engine" adapter bolt is not drilled all the way through. It is drilled ~2/3 of bolt. This leaves the bottom of the adapter bolt closed off to the "post filter" oil path. The adapter bolt is then cross drilled to allow "pre filter" oil into the adapter bolt and out to the filter.

More Pictures will help! (below)

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice install. Remember to get a filter wrench for it too. Could get a bit messy changing it since it will be filled at all times.
My attempt to do that installation was not so clean, way too much stuff in the way, the heater for one thing.

rgregj

In response to Cranetrucks comment, I don't know if it would work, but when we change oil in our aircraft we have a tool that punctures the bottom of the filter and has a drain tube to empty the filter oil into the bucket. It really helps to keep things clean. Just a thought.

Greg

bottleworks

rgregj said:
I
I don't know if it would work, but when we change oil in our aircraft we have a tool that punctures the bottom of the filter and has a drain tube to empty the filter oil into the bucket.
It might be a little hard then it sounds. In testing, Devilman96 shot these filters with 22 cal ammo....It survived. :shock:

Attachments

Speedwoble

I read many posts on this forum regarding the oil system and I was uncomfortable with this oil filter system because all of my calculations showed the oil velocity through the single bolt in and single bolt out was way to high. Therefore, I decided to go my own route, but stole many ideas from OD Iron. The biggest difference was I made billet Aluminum adapters to limit oil volume that must be filled. I also used dual inlets and dual outlets for maximum flow. I feel much more comfortable with this set-up.

Attachments

Reactions: DAS

Speedwoble

I thought about that, and e-mailed you twice, but in the end my truck sits for long periods and the oil would drain through the clean side of the filter, or so I thought. This system will also accommodate an accumulator in the future.

jatonka

If it sits for long periods of time, it may or may not take longer to show oil pressure on the first start up. Accumulators leak down too. Everyone has there own thoughts and their own choice on what they plan to do to save their engine. JT out

IHASFIP

What about this idea? 2 seconds to oil pressure and a bit simpler. JT
I want your adapters for all the filters . But I need to get tires. And a locker or 3. :) I will get the oil filter adapters here before too long. The fuel filters aren't hard or messy to change. Oil on the other hand is...:roll:

D

Speedwoble

OK, I will bite. What is oil velocity and why is that important?:?:
I am glad you asked. Oil velocity is the speed of the oil traveling through the tube. The pump supplies a certain volume of oil per second which, divided by the tube cross area, gives you the flow velocity. In the case of the Deuce, at 26gpm, that is 100.1 in^3/s

This is important because higher velocities require a greater pressure drop to achieve. High velocities also cause turbulence, further increasing pressure drop.
Said another way, to transfer a large volume of oil through a small hose, you have to make it travel really fast, and you need a lot of pressure to make it travel that fast. It is important to remember that the deuce has an internal bypass at 15psi. So, if a pressure drop greater than 15psi is needed to get it to the filter and back, it will simply bypass and not be filtered.

From what I understand, they try to limit oil systems to 35 fps(feet per second). My calculations showed the single hose system to be running at 133 fps through a single 1/2NPT fitting (I assume it is not 3/4 because that would not fit in the 1" bolt). My system utilizes a different connection to the bolt, allowing a minimum ID of .71"(dual) and a flow velocity of 33fps. In short, I am unsure how a single hose system can run without triggering the deuce's internal bypass when at rated flow. The only way to know would be to run a pressure gauge before the fitting for the dirty oil and after the fitting for the clean oil and see what the difference is.

Last edited:

Speedwoble

I should mention, I am not offering this for sale. I have $300 in materials and many hours in machining so there is no way I could do so economically.

dabtl

That is a very logical explanation. Thanks. I wonder, however, if anyone has tested the flow rate on any of the remote filters?

bottleworks

That is a very logical explanation. Thanks. I wonder, however, if anyone has tested the flow rate on any of the remote filters?

Yes, the testing was done long ago. There is no flow Issue. The differential pressure was in spec with the orginal filters. Speedwoble, I understand your concern, however, OD Iron's system was tested and exceeds the GPM of the pump. I would have just spent that $300 on an already available system.

If you go with jatonka's filters, you spend $120 on filters each change. With OD Iron's, you spend $60 for filters.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks