• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

odd turn signal guards '70 Kaiser Jeep M35A2

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is BS that all the newer trucks have these light guards on them. If that was so most of the trucks that we have would have those light guards on them. That is just not true. Provide proof...

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: odd turn signal guards

Adamlee said:
...... the flat guard seems like an OK deal, from an engineering standpoint....
The arch is a stronger structure.

When I replaced my front turn signal/park composits, I had to modify the mounting holes to make them fit the original guards. I can see that they had to redsign it for a better fit, don't know why they made it rectangular (=not as strong), though, styling?

Attachments

Adamlee

Re: RE: odd turn signal guards

cranetruck said:
Adamlee said:
...... the flat guard seems like an OK deal, from an engineering standpoint....
The arch is a stronger structure.

When I replaced my front turn signal/park composits, I had to modify the mounting holes to make them fit the original guards. I can see that they had to redsign it for a better fit, don't know why they made it rectangular (=not as strong), though, styling?
Bjorn, you're right; the arch shape is intrinsically stronger than a flat form with two 90 degree bends. When these guards were manufactured, they required at least one if not more "extra" bends or stamps to create their shape. So from a construction standpoint, the squared-off/"flattop" guards likely cost more in the long run to make; with the extra time to stamp or bend them.

Perhaps they really were thought up to add another "stepping surface" for maintenance on deuce engine bays? The weight of a person using them as steps is not enough to distort their shape; and for the purposes of a light guard, they are completely adequate.

I'm thinking that by adding extra machine work to form the shape, therefore increasing unit cost, an engineer must have designed them with the intent to assist soldiers and act as another stepping surface. The arched stamped shape would have simply been cheaper and quicker to make.

Makes sense to me....

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Re: odd turn signal guard actually means something

MilitaryRestoration said:
Unless someone has put them on themselves, all the newer trucks come with this style of light guard and if it's not a newer truck then it means the truck has visited the rebuild site or has been gone through for a refurbish. just fyi hope that helps out
I think it would be more accurate to say SOME not all of the newer trucks....specifically those on contract DAAE-06-68-C-0007.

My 72, built on DAAE06-70-C-0001, with no overhaul, no rebuild and 300 miles on it when I got it had the tall round top guards. I have the builders delivery photos of contracct DAAE07-73-C-0232, they have round guards.

There are, IIRC, four types of guards, the short round top guards that were used when the trucks were first designed, the square top - which I believe came out when the NATO lighting did, the taller round top guards that can take the NATO lights, and the short ones that had the MWO applied to them to stretch them so the NATO lights would fit.

Regards,
David

TacticalTruck

RE: Re: odd turn signal guard actually means something

I think it's a streach to say it is cheaper to manufacture one over the other due to the number of bends because that piece is probably made in one stamping operation. The round tops may be a bit cheaper because they use less material. I would venture to guess someone got lazy when they realized the new NATO marker would not fit and it was easier to draw a square over the larger light rather than figure out the arc.
Jeff

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess it depends on how you look at it. I wouldn't consider a 1968 contract truck as late. I would consider it early myself.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
m16ty said:
I guess it depends on how you look at it. I wouldn't consider a 1968 contract truck as late. I would consider it early myself.
You've got a good point there - its pretty much midway in the 1949 through 1989 production run.

Regards,
David

emr

whew, it does amaze me how many ideas are made from someone seeing something and there for it must be the way it was, just saying we really have opinions unless there are contract dates and photos of said contract trucks new, it is very very very possible a manufacturer ran low on a part and found a replacement that obviously fit the bill and ran with them awhile also, I have noticed that there have been parts on different year AM generals I have looked at and have parts like tailgate hooks that do not follow year by year instalations, like sometimes a plant may find a box of older styles when in need and they can go on a newer year, although it is alot of fun to figure this stuff out, and after all it is a Big part of the hobby,so i need to throw in... I can stand just fine on the round one...he he he ...:-D...randy

99mrpc

In my opinion if you have one square and one round one I wouldn't change one, it might have been a changed in the field. I think it shows more character, you never know you may run into a guy that did that and he'll tell you his story. For those of you that have been in the military worked in a motor pool you have probably seen trucks with different versions of parts on them. Most of the time when something gets broken the military doesn't totally care what it looks like as long as it works and that was the part that was called for. Like the tractor in this picture I took in 2010 at a motor pool. IMG00186-20100602-1325.jpg Heres a picture of an A2 with a square guard next to an A3. M35A3a.jpg

Last edited: