• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Off Road Design Engine Crossmember

richingalveston

I have it in my truck. I have not driven the truck, still working on turbo. It frees up a lot of space. It is incorporated more into the motor mounts and I just looks to be a better engineered cross member with its placement and bolt locations.

no feed back on performance but it is allowing me the space I need for the turbo cross over.

It was easy to install. The motor mounts were a little more difficult since I did not have a hoist at the time. I have their motor mounts also and I like the way they fit. I have yet to have an issue with one of their parts and I have a lot of them.

Ilikemtb999

rustystud

The one question I have is can you remove the oil pan once this cross-member is installed ? It looks real nice and I love the quality of "ORD" parts. I have all the suspension parts (front and rear) and steering gear support from them and have no problem at all with their fit and finish. It's just this cross-member looks real tight next to the oil pan.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The crossmember can be unbolted while the engine is still in the truck and supported by the side towers. With it out of the way, pan swaps should be easy (relatively). I also have an email into ORD discussing that same matter.

richingalveston

Looking at mine, it has 1/2 of space and sits close to drop in pan. probably have to remove.
Not difficult to remove but it is 12 nuts/bolts to remove.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The crossmember is not anything that has failed me. I also know that despite the way the factory one was made, they are not easily removed. If this crossmember does what I anticipate, afford me the room to easily drop the pan, then it's an expense I can justify.12 bolts and a clear path to the oil pan is perfect for me.

richingalveston

With the motor installed, you have to cut the old one to get it out. it may be possible to pull in one piece with the motor removed but I did not have the luxury.
An air chisel on the rivets is your best friend. And once you cut the center with a sawsall, it falls out.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had found similar info Rich. Figured I would need to hack it out. No biggie in the grand scheme of things. Thanks guys

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After exchanging a few emails with Chris, I did invest in the crossmember. Once all my parts arrive, I will get busy with this and see if I can have it ready for the GA Rally. So thankful that I no longer have the inconvenience of employment.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please post photos of your install. I also want to do this mod and would appreciate seeing your progress.

PeterP

Hello,

I'm interested also in this crossmember form ORD.
I'm in contact with Chris.
He told me my M1009 has to be lifted, otherwise the crossmember doesn't fit on my stock truck.
What is your experience?? I'm still waiting of Chris answer, why it doesn't will fit in my stock high M1009.
In winter i run 31 wintertires and in summer 33 with BFG At K02

Do you feel a better steering feeling, with this ORD crossmember?? because now with this crossmebmer the frame will be more stiff, in my opinion

The steering box brace in will fit in my truck.

Thank you in advanced for your input.

Nice greetings from Germany!!

richingalveston

I believe the front diff will hit the cross member with no lift. The ord cross member goes between the motor mounts and is angled just a little bit forward. it does not have the big u-shape the standard cross member has.

I don't thing the cross member itself vs. stock would make much of a difference in truck performance. most people like me did this to make room for other stuff. My turbo cross over will be in the area of the old crossmember.

The best thing for drivability is cross over steering but that takes a lift also.
The steering brace is a necessity with big tires. lifted or not lifted.

Rich

86m1028

Hello,
I'm interested also in this crossmember form ORD.
I'm in contact with Chris.
He told me my M1009 has to be lifted, otherwise the crossmember doesn't fit on my stock truck.
What is your experience?? I'm still waiting of Chris answer, why it doesn't will fit in my stock high M1009.
In winter i run 31 wintertires and in summer 33 with BFG At K02
Do you feel a better steering feeling, with this ORD crossmember?? because now with this crossmebmer the frame will be more stiff, in my opinion
The steering box brace in will fit in my truck.
Thank you in advanced for your input.
Nice greetings from Germany!!
PeterP
The crossmember won't tighten up your frame unless the rivets in your stock one have become loose.
Things that might be causing your issues are
Loose steering box at frame
Worn rag joint
Cracked frame behind steer box
Worn steering box
Worn drag link ends & or tie rod ends
Loose hub bearings
Bad axle ujoints
Bad ball joints
Loose bumper bracket bolts (at frame end)
Loose sway bar mount bolts (at frame side)
Even bad bushings in your leaf springs
& the list goes on.

Ord's frame brace (not the crossmember) is a good start plus giving your front end a good check out.
Keep us posted on what you do & what you find out.

Last edited:

PeterP

Dear 86m1028

thank you for the input!!

We checked everything, and slowly will the steering feeling better.

We changed 3 times the steering box, we tried 2 used boxes and 1 remanufactured with out success, than we found a original steering box in USA on stock, never used. And the steering feeling was better.

We find out, the pitman arm was damaged and we changed all drag links and tie rod ends and also the rag joint.

Frame is not broken, but you can see he move it self, if you start to steer, if the truck stand still.

Also the holder of the leaf springs are moving a little bit. I don't now if we can change the rivets with screws?!

now we will change the bushing of the leaf springs and will attache the steering box frame brace.

Hope than the steering felling will approve.

Nice greeting from Germany

richingalveston

if your leaf spring perches are moving, that is not a good thing. sounds like your frame has been through some tough flexing.

I know some people when they want to stiffen a weakend frame have all the parts welded. I would imagine if you used grade 8 hardware it would be better than what you have. All of the new braces and crossmembers you buy are bolted so I would think it is ok.

I believe when people put the longer springs on the move the perches and bolt them also.

The frame cross member would not affect your steering that much but those loose spring perches will give you lots of trouble.

Rich

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks