• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Off Road Design Engine Crossmember

PeterP

Yes I think also it will be ok if we bolt the spring perches.

The frame, and the spring perches, and the bushings don't move much, but you can see it a little bit, if you steer when the truck is parked. In my opinion this 3 points accumulate and the steering feeling get worser.

When I bought the truck, 3 month ago ( until today i did 8500 Miles with it and it makes a lot of fun ) steering feeling was a nightmare, now its much better but still no perfect

I keep you posted, when we fixed this points, how steering felling will have changed

Thanks for your help

nice greetings from Germany

KLRBILLY

Hasn't been mentioned yet but you may want to check your steering damper/stabilizer. Mine was leaking and pretty well spent. Replacing it took about an inch of play out of the steering at speed. I also replaced the sway bar bushings with polyurethane ones that have zurk fittings so I can grease em. Those two things combined helped out a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PeterP

Sorry I forgot the steering damper/stabilizer is also changed with a new one :)

The steering brace is ordered from ORD and i guess in 3 or 4 weeks will be here in Germany, the USPS is not so fast, and it takes often a long time for the custom clearance in Germany

Chaski

To the guys that have an ORD crossmember.

I just ordered up one an hour ago. I'd like to knock out my crossover steering this weekend, but the stock crossmember is in the way.

If I hack out the old engine crossmember do you thing it is structurally sound enough to drive the rig afterwards out of the garage and park it in the side yard while I am waiting for the new crossmember to show up?

richingalveston

i would not start it and drive it. if it has to be moved, push it.

When you start to put the cross member in, make sure you have both axles level.

you do run the risk of getting things out of square.

Putting torque between motor and frame without the cross member may not be the best idea. even though you are not going far or fast.

you have to hack saw it into pieces or you have to take the entire front end including shackle mounts off to get it out in one piece.

air chisle on rivets is your best friend.

Rich

86m1028

I've done 7-8 of them & have never had to remove shackle mounts.
Ive only cut 1 in half to get it out (paid to install) customer did not want to save it.
Time is money :)
Looking back, really no reason to save stock crossmember.
There is the frt frame crossmember & of course the trans crossmember BUT I do agree with Rich, I wouldn't start it & move it without one there.
I have 2 trucks with ords cross members & one truck with T&A's (totally naked auto) crossmembers
Both are quality products, both have advantages & disadvantages, do a little research before ordering.

Chaski

Appreciate the advice from everyone. Ended up attacking the stock crossmember with a air chisel and sawzall. Wasn't too bad. Left the rig in the garage until the crossmember shows up. Also going to toss some new springs up front because my cheap Superlift ones were sagging. I'll post some pics once it is in.

Attachments

Chaski

Got it... and got it installed. Was glad to have lots of good quality clamps and some pry bars. Took a little bit to squeeze the frame to match up with the new crossmember. Design and quality from ORD was spot on. Waiting 3 business days for them to ship an off the shelf item wasn't ideal, would have had this done last weekend if they would have not shipped a Friday morning order on the following Wednesday.

Gave me plenty of room for the drag link, still a little tight for the 1.5" dia tie rod I have. I moved the axle forward .5" to make a little more room. Never know when I might do a Fall Guy like jump in the pickup. Put longer bump stops on it to keep the tie rod out of the oil pan.

Came with good quality hardware. If you do this on the truck like I did buy a stubby 7/16" drill bit from McMaster Carr or your favorite supply house and borrow a good angle drill.

IMG_2219.JPGIMG_2222.JPGIMG_2225.JPGIMG_2229.JPG

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks