• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Official 2011 SS Ga Rally Info thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dave,
As we type, the ants are having their last supper. Save the lighter fluid equivalent for the consumption by others! I'm bringing some Polish lighter fluid for papabear, but he'll probably share a little - WM has already had some and approved it.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Weeds have grown a bit, but will be bush hogged down before we arrive. Horses were very nosey, the RV lot was FULL - DT is doing a booming business at least this weekend! Should hear from the others over the next couple of hours on the condition of the trails and the hardball convoy.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I did a recon of Washington and found the VFW...they have a nice LZ with plenty of room to park a whole convoy.

They didn't have contact posted but I will do a look up in the phone book and try to get a number.

Also checked out the local Nat. Guard unit....they have a yard full of HEMMT's, HUMVEE's, 5 tons and such.......I'm going to see if they will bring a few out to the VFW and put them on static display.

The plan is to coodinate with the VFW and see if some of the vets want to have lunch catered to them from the rally....we'll also offer them rides on selected vehicles.

The route is perfect to the VFW.....one turn out of Duhamtown, two turns in Washington and then right to the VFW.

I'll be coodinating with the local LEO's to make sure we are safe.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recon of the trails has open some interesting options. We have new areas with hills to crawl, and obstacle course for those breve enough. If the weather cooperates we will have slip slides, and pits to attempt, if it remains dry, we have a sand/dirt/dry creek bed to tempt us. (Winch access is easy if you are brave enough to try the new loop. Clinto I think made pictures of this.)
We have ruts and holes, major hills and squishy places. If milder rides are what you what, we have those also.
DT has areas that will fit ANYONES desire for mild to wild. We plan to have generalized maps for those that want to venture alone.

We have also established recovery personnel for the .....fun....parts.

I

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I did a recon of Washington and found the VFW...they have a nice LZ with plenty of room to park a whole convoy.
They didn't have contact posted but I will do a look up in the phone book and try to get a number.
Also checked out the local Nat. Guard unit....they have a yard full of HEMMT's, HUMVEE's, 5 tons and such.......I'm going to see if they will bring a few out to the VFW and put them on static display.
The plan is to coodinate with the VFW and see if some of the vets want to have lunch catered to them from the rally....we'll also offer them rides on selected vehicles.
The route is perfect to the VFW.....one turn out of Duhamtown, two turns in Washington and then right to the VFW.
I'll be coodinating with the local LEO's to make sure we are safe.
Richard, I only found one VFW Post listed under Washington, GA.
It's Post 5899 located at 240 Andrew Drive, ph# is 706-678-1166.

I hope this helps, and thank you for your efforts![thumbzup][thumbzup]

Oh, and please don't forget to ask about mounted replica weapons??

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
As the guys above mentioned, we took some time to make a scout mission today.

First, I want to say how much I appreciate Squirt Truck, Dumpster, Wreckerman, Bamalady, Blythewood Joe and SCSG-G4's time. All these guys took time out of their Saturday and drove out to D-town so we could all discuss, face-to-face all the things that go into making the rally run smooth. Wreckerman & Bamalady drove out to my place last night and crashed in our guest room and we went to breakfast this morning and everyone else met us at D-town. We discussed the offroading, the hardball convoy, field layout, hand washing stations, lighting, etc. Even though our meeting didn't last very long, I really appreciate everyone's help and input.

So far as the offroading, every year D-town changes the trails and opens up new areas. ST, Dumpster and I found several places we haven't been before and I think we have a good selection of easy, moderate and "there's no way anyone is gonna' try that" places. One of the things I felt was lacking last year was slippery mud (you can thank the endless Southern droughts) and I expressly told ST that we needed to find some this year. I think we found enough places that we'll have a good time and if it rains some in the week before the rally it's gonna' be awesome.

I want you guys to know how much we care about your rally experience-I rode that dammed bouncy mule all day and managed to get another flat tire (puncture wound). We sacrifice a lot for your rally enjoyment.

I am really excited about our hardball convoy. Last year, a small group of folks took an impromptu ride into town in a convoy and everyone involved had a great time and the pictures that came back were awesome. The feedback was so positive that we decided we needed to make such an event an official rally component. Wreckerman has headed up planning this event and he's done an awesome job. I think you guys will really like it. It will be a short trip, about 15 miles out, have lunch and 15 miles back. We're going to try and have some photographers in key locations to catch the action as well. This will take place on Saturday morning, only take 2-3 hours, so we will have plenty of time to play on the trails on Saturday afternoon and evening. Obviously, like everything else at the rally, participation in this is optional.

I have some pics of a few of the areas we will be taking ya'll this year.

I am very excited about this year's event and I can't wait to see all of you again and meet many of you for the first time. We're only a month out so get your gear serviced, fueled up and ready because we're in the home stretch now.

Attachments

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
More:

Attachments

tigger

Medic.
In Memorial
Hotdigidy!!!!!!!!!!:driver::jumpin:[thumbzup] Theres a few spots there i think the jeep will be going around! but it looks like a hoot of a time will be had. thanks all who went! Sucks about the tire Clinto!

zout

:ditto: Big thank you ALL for your time and dedication to get this all pre-set up for everyone's enjoyment.

The blood's starting to simmer waiting for the GO date.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Clinto, I'd feel bad about the tire if you weren't enjoying yourself so much.

Thanks for the recon guys.

:)

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So far as the offroading, every year D-town changes the trails and opens up new areas. ST, Dumpster and I found several places we haven't been before and I think we have a good selection of easy, moderate and "only Ferro is crazy enough to try that" places. One of the things I felt was lacking last year was slippery mud (you can thank the endless Southern droughts) and I expressly told ST that we needed to find some this year. I think we found enough places that we'll have a good time and if it rains some in the week before the rally it's gonna' be awesome.
I fixed that line for you Clint! :-o

Thanks for going and doing a recon. I am working hard to get the M37 ready, but the XM818 of Death will be there for sure. (Steve, I double checked the security of the passenger seat belt, just for you!)

Looks like we are really going to have a ball on the trails!

I'm still the only qualified engineer on base, and I called fuels and told them they better stock up the week before, because I'm not going to be there!!!!
Is it time yet? :beer:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I contacted a gentlemen at the VFW and he seemed very excited to have the convoy stop there....he even offered to feed us although I had memtioned bringing food with us for the Vets.
The post is stituated up on a slight hill and has a long circular driveway that would allow the convoy to park without having to manuver around.
We can get to the post without having to negotiate the city streets of Washington....from Durhamtown to the post there are only three turns and two stop signs.
I will be coordinating with him when I get to Durhamtown. He said he can work with the LOE's and have traffic control when we hit the city limits.
If the weather is good it should be a great trip.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for going and doing a recon. I am working hard to get the M37 ready, but the XM818 of Death will be there for sure. (Steve, I double checked the security of the passenger seat belt, just for you!)

Good, I call dibs on riding in the convoy. Unless there are potholes you won't be able to throw me out...........

;-)

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I contacted a gentlemen at the VFW and he seemed very excited to have the convoy stop there....he even offered to feed us although I had memtioned bringing food with us for the Vets.
The post is stituated up on a slight hill and has a long circular driveway that would allow the convoy to park without having to manuver around.
We can get to the post without having to negotiate the city streets of Washington....from Durhamtown to the post there are only three turns and two stop signs.
I will be coordinating with him when I get to Durhamtown. He said he can work with the LOE's and have traffic control when we hit the city limits.
If the weather is good it should be a great trip.
WM,
Should we bring some canned goods with us? Maybe ride down to the local food bank(if they have one).

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
WM, Should we bring some canned goods with us? Maybe ride down to the local food bank(if they have one).
I only had a short coversation with the gent....not sure if the VFW supports a food bank or not.

If anyone wants to bring some non-perishable food we can give it to them and they can donate it to a local one on behalf of Steel Soldiers and the VFW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks