• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Official 2014 SS Georgia Rally Amateur Radio / Communications Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is the place for any and all amateur radio operators to sign up and help out.

We are reasonably sure that we (leadership team) will be using GMRS radios inside the compound and possibly for trail rides for communication from the front to the back of the rides. Where we are lacking at this time is enough licensed radio operators to provide communication for each group out on the trails. We have enough GMRS radios for two rides at the same time and still cover the compound.

Now what can the licensed operators do? A lot this year. We would like to get more amateurs on-board with portable gear that can go out on each ride to give us two-way coverage back to the compound. I know there will be various setups in the compound that we can use this as a building and testing year and maybe even provide reliable communications for emergencies or just to call back and tell the compound you are running late for dinner.

I'll have a two meter setup at the HQ with some sort of mast setup running a Yaesu 2900 and Diamond X30A (only 3dB gain) antenna.

So this year we test and get some people to go out on the trails to see what happens.

Do we have any takers?

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm a ham radio operator and I volunteer with an ARES/RACES (Amateur Radio Emergency Services) Group in Central Florida. Are there any ARES/RACES Groups, amateur radio clubs, or emergency response clubs near Union Point that would be willing to volunteer their communications expertise (and equipment) at the SSGR?

From my experience, state/county/city Emergency Operations departments have portable communications trailers and antenna towers. Does anyone have any contacts with local EOC's? The government agency that owns the equipment might allow it to be used at the Rally if it were involved in emergency or disaster scenario training.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What you really need is a 2m repeater on a 50-70' tower to cover all the acreage of Dtown. You can use 2m simplex, but there will be lots of holes in the coverage.

If enough folks will bring their gear to make it worthwhile, you could set up a chain of simplex stations to pass traffic. I will dig out my HT's and mobile gear, and try to come up with a mag mount 2m ant for mobile rig.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I might have my new Yaesu 2900 installed in the "winged" Dodge by then. I bought a highly rated mag mount for it.

ChevyC60

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Radio communications

ChevyC60 and ChevyC60gf did the 2014 Florida Military Vehicle Rally Summer Event at Holder Mine Campground. Handed out 5 VHF portable radios on the MURS channels and ChevyC60gf has a mobile installed in her M1009. Very easy and quick install with mag mount antenna. These radios worked out really good on the trails. This is because we all were on the same channel. At past rallies we have had CB radios, Ham radios, Military radios and FRS radios. No common channel. Unfortunately these VHF MURS are not as easy to get as all the other radios mentioned. I have 8 portable radios and a lot of mobiles on the MURS channels and I can set up a base at the sign in station.
Check out MURS radio on the WEB. 5 VHF channels and external antenna is OK. Those of you HAM radio operators with programmable radios most will also go to those channels. What do you all Think?

2014-07-16_16-30-21_233.jpg2014-07-16_16-30-34_325.jpg

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
From the DCC website:

The Multi-Use Radio Service (MURS) is in the 151 – 154 MHz spectrum range. The most common use of MURS spectrum is short-distance, two-way communications using small, portable hand-held devices that function similar to walkie-talkies.

Similar services include General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS) and Family Radio Service (FRS).Background

The Multi-Use Radio Service (MURS) dates back to 2002 when the FCC changed the service rules for five industrial/business frequencies known as the “color dot” frequencies from Part 90 to Part 95 of the FCC rules.
Licensing

The Multi-Use Radio Service (MURS) is licensed by rule. This means an individual license is not required to operate a MURS device. You can operate a MURS device regardless of your age and for personal or business use so long as you are not a representative of a foreign government.
The FCC service rules for the Multi-Use Radio Service (MURS) are located in 47 C.F.R. Part 95.

Channels

There are five MURS channels and the channels are either 11.25 kHz or 20.00 kHz each.
151.820 MHz (11.25 kHz)
151.880 MHz (11.25 kHz)
151.940 MHz (11.25 kHz)
154.570 MHz (20.00 kHz)
154.600 MHz (20.00 kHz)

Operating a Multi-Use Radio Service (MURS) Device

You can operate a MURS device in any place where the FCC regulates radio communications. A MURS device must be certified by the FCC. A certified MURS device has an identifying label placed on it by the manufacturer.
None of the MURS channels are assigned for the exclusive use of any system. You must cooperate in the selection and use of the channels in order to make the most effective use of them and to reduce the possibility of interference.

No MURS unit, under any condition of modulation, shall exceed 2 Watts transmitter power output.

The usual range of communications between MURS devices is less than a few miles; connecting the unit to an external antenna can extend the range to ten miles or more. You cannot make telephone calls with a MURS device.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't know about 60' up, but I do have a military AT-292 that we could rig up (if we can get antenna sections short enough for 2 meters - maybe think full wave). It will go up about 30', and if we remind Bob (tennmogger) of the dates, maybe he'll show up in his radio MOG so we can have a base station.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For simplex operation, a mag mount on a steel plate would do fine, as long as it had some altitude.

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is possible to hoist an antenna up 60+ feet without using an antenna mast. Use a compound bow with an arrow painted bright orange. Have someone hold an old fishing pole near the bow. Zip tie the fishing line to the arrow. Shoot the arrow in a parabolic arc over a tall tree.

There are plenty of plans for pneumatic antenna launchers and tennis ball cannons on the Interwebs.
http://wd6cmu.antennalaunchers.com/launcher.htm
http://k6jca.blogspot.com/2011/06/quickie-pneumatic-antenna-launcher.html
http://www.qsl.net/k5lxp/projects/Launcher/Launcher.html
http://www.antennalaunchers.com/csv19/csv19asm.html
http://www.sigmazone.com/TennisCannon_FullFactorial.htm

Does anyone have a pneumatic launcher, bow and arrow, or a spud gun?

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok cool, think all my questions have been answered. Look forward to going.

I put a reply in the vol. needed thread, but I can help with commo if needed. Have full HF-UHF in the truck and I plan on bringing my Yaesu 7r with me.

To the hams going that have gone. Any repeaters in the area, d* nodes?
I will bring my 2 meter Yaesu 2900 and one or two Boafeng handhelds. I may setup the 2900 with something like a Diamond X30A on a pole to get it up in the air a little.

I have yet to even talk on the radio more than ten feet away since getting my license it would be good practice for me. ;-)

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will have 2 Baofeng's, one for myself and one for my wife (she is also a ham :) ) I have a Yaesu FT-7800R with a dual band antenna installed in my M1009. I'm bringing manuals for both because I have no clue how to configure them. There are no DSTAR nodes in Union Point. The closest repeaters are in Athens. I'm bringing a hard copy of the Athens repeater list with me.

ChevyC60

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How many Ham radio operators will be there this year? Any interest in setting up a temp 2 meter repeater? I have checked the repeater directories and nothing close to the rally. I have the equipment if it is worth setting up. Still planing on bringing VHF MURS radios to hand out. As of now have about 10 portables and plenty mobiles but short on mag mount antennas and power cords. Anybody have VHF mag mount antennas we can use?

ke5eua

I will bring my 2 meter Yaesu 2900 and one or two Boafeng handhelds. I may setup the 2900 with something like a Diamond X30A on a pole to get it up in the air a little.

I have yet to even talk on the radio more than ten feet away since getting my license it would be good practice for me. ;-)
Did a simplex contact at about 30 miles at Fort Hood when I first got my license.

I will have 2 Baofeng's, one for myself and one for my wife (she is also a ham :) ) I have a Yaesu FT-7800R with a dual band antenna installed in my M1009. I'm bringing manuals for both because I have no clue how to configure them. There are no DSTAR nodes in Union Point. The closest repeaters are in Athens. I'm bringing a hard copy of the Athens repeater list with me.
I have repeater finder on my phone and repeater directory on my laptop. Manuals are great, nifty manuals are the best.

Cool, maybe you can provide some on trail support for a ride or two.

I was thinking Simplex would work and we can just pick a frequency for the rally. Good point about the manuals.... ;-)

I'm trying to get the comm part of the load off of Mike so he can just focus on the MKT.
Trying to get me in a corner crying thinking about all the pots I have washed at ntc.

How many Ham radio operators will be there this year? Any interest in setting up a temp 2 meter repeater? I have checked the repeater directories and nothing close to the rally. I have the equipment if it is worth setting up. Still planing on bringing VHF MURS radios to hand out. As of now have about 10 portables and plenty mobiles but short on mag mount antennas and power cords. Anybody have VHF mag mount antennas we can use?
I can bring a couple mag mounts and antennas. I have a 5 watt portable that can do cross band repeater. My aprs radio took a nose dive so high power cross band might be out of the question. I'll bring my full wave VHF because of the woods, and my van is capable of running a radio in it, it actually has 900 mhz in it permanently mounted.

All the years that we've been trying to get some detailed radio stuff going, it never really got off the ground. It sure sounds like this year will have lots of radio traffic. I'm liking what I hear. Bring tons of radio stuff gang, feel free to put your call signs on your equipment, camp and even on your name tag if you like.
I'll bring a couple portables, the radios mounted in the truck and I might bring my 817 and a wire 20 m antenna to try and do some qrp work.

I have all the stuff to setup a 30' mast, if you want me to bring it just let me know. I have ran hf and vhf/uhf off of it at the same time, and I can put a wifi antenna for an access point.

Yeah I'm a geek.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wouldn't think we would need a 30 foot tower but what do I know, I still have not made a call. :-(

Yes, it looks like we are going to have lots of radio equipment this year. We have talked about setting up comm between the Haspin Fall rally and the SSGR but it has just never worked out.

ke5eua

I wouldn't think we would need a 30 foot tower but what do I know, I still have not made a call. :-(

Yes, it looks like we are going to have lots of radio equipment this year. We have talked about setting up comm between the Haspin Fall rally and the SSGR but it has just never worked out.
Are the two rallys at the same time, and how far apart are they?

Oh, and about the 30' foot tower / push up pole. Getting the antenna higher would be effective for trying to keep comms in the trails.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are the two rallys at the same time, and how far apart are they?

Oh, and about the 30' foot tower / push up pole. Getting the antenna higher would be effective for trying to keep comms in the trails.

30 feet would be good but then aren't you looking at guy wires as well? Maybe not but I want to do this simple.

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have dual mil fiberglass whips on both sides of my M1009. The antennas are completely useless for nearly all amateur radio bands, but they may serve a useful purpose to assist with communications to the RT/FA Tents while out on the trails. I am planning on painting a j-pole flat OD and attaching it to the driver's side antenna with black zip ties. When my CUCV is stationary, I can raise the antenna all the way up. That would get me some height without having to string up an antenna out in the middle of the woods. [thumbzup]

I will bring my homemade dual band j-pole and 75 ft of coax. I use this antenna as my base station. It's connected to a dual band Kenwood and it works great. We could hook it to the top of a push-up pole, mast, or launch fishing line up into a tree and hoist it up.

KE5EUA - What is the power output of your new repeater?

ke5eua

50 watts.

My list of stuff that is going on the 30' pole:

2/440 antenna for repeater and other radios

18dbi 2.4ghz antenna with ubiquity 1watt access point attached.

Cellular antenna for modem for wifi

Cb whip for cb in truck.

I'm sure I'll think if other stuff but for now that is what usually is on the mast.

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm glad you're bringing a dual-band antenna to mount on your mast! I'll save myself the aggravation of removing mine from the pine tree in the back yard. Thanks! :-D

ke5eua

I'm glad you're bringing a dual-band antenna to mount on your mast! I'll save myself the aggravation of removing mine from the pine tree in the back yard. Thanks! :-D
I'm gonna bring a couple antennas. Two mag mounts, cable, and other misc connectors and items.

I have a small box just dedicated for field day stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks