• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Official 2014 SS Georgia Rally Amateur Radio / Communications Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hopefully nothing in the 5.8 GHZ range. I'd hate to have my bird fly away with the camera attached.

ke5eua

Hopefully nothing in the 5.8 GHZ range. I'd hate to have my bird fly away with the camera attached.
No, everything is 2.4 and under.

900 Mhz in the truck and van for convoy communications, plus a portable.
ID-880 2/440 D-star radio in the truck
FT-857ND in the truck for HF and 2/440

Debating on putting my moto radios in the truck, depends on space.

GlobeSurfer III hotspot with phone/fax hookup
Ubiquiti Bullet 1 watt 2.4 GHz accesspoint direct mounted to a 18dbi 2.4 GHz vertical antenna

Vertex Standard VXR-7000V repeater

Dell Latitude D620 running Windows Server 2003 for NAS, Radius server, firewall, echo link node, Active Directory, email server

I have a DV Access Point and depending on internet might setup a DV hotspot also.

Box full of cables, connectors, tape, and other misc items.

Anybody have any other ideas let me know. When it comes to communications I go big.

I'll figure out a freq for the repeater and post it, want to make sure it doesn't overlap and I want to try and get with the coordinator in the area to let him / her know.

ke5eua

My camera feeds back video in 2.4 wifi. Not overly concerned with the feed but it helps frame shots.
I'll do a site survey when you are flying to see what channel you are on and go to the opposite end. Most likely channel 6 as that seems to be the default for some odd reason.

Edit:

If it allows to connect to existing wifi network then you could join the one I setup, if not oh well.

Last edited:

ke5eua

My repeater came in last night. At first inspection I was a little concerned.

Opened it up and noticed the lack of a duplexer. In its spot was a poor mans solution to one antenna for rx/tx.

Basically a relay was placed inline and shunts the rx while transmitting.

Today and tomorrow are road trip days, going to temple, tx to look at a house.

Either Sunday or Monday I will remove the bundle of crap that was soldered in and put it back to it's original configuration and test it.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My new Diamond 2m 1/2 wave antenna came in Tuesday. I think I may adapt a flag pole I have for it. That would give me about 25 feet.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
KE5EUA - Do you have a SWR meter? If so, could you please bring it? I want to test one of my antennas before I push 50+ watts on 144 MHz through it.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike, Are the 10 foot section aluminium or fiberglass?

OD, You very rarely use an SWR meter on the 2 meter band. I was going to buy one but they are not that common and basically everything I read said you don't need one. (For 2m)

Now if someone has one that we can use it might be nice to see what it looks like on the air but otherwise you should not have any trouble.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am picking up a homebuilt PVC/ladder line j-pole next week. One of my fellow ARES/RACES members built the antenna, but I have no idea whom. I'm concerned that my FT-7800R could be damaged if the SWR is way off or there is too much reflected power.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you boys can get com between Base and Trails that would be fantastic, eve if it is spotty.
If for no other reason to make recovery faster and easier for those that like to play hard......

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks