• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Official 2014 SS Georgia Rally Amateur Radio / Communications Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This would be a solid performing system, However the rally coordinators did not appear to be interested.

Garret
W8BUG
That is why I broke off a separate thread, to get the people who are interested, interested and in one place.

Comm is something we have not spent as much time on and this year will be sort of a testing and evaluation year. The more bands and operators we have the better we can test on the trails.

As I have said before I still want to see the Georgia and Haspin Rallies connect up via radio.

And yes, I appreciate any help in doing all this.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Don't have time to read back through the 7 pages of threads.

We have 2 medics that are going to need comms. I found out we're going to have 4 trail rides out at the same time. I we need to shift the medic from one to the other, we gotta have comms.

ke5eua

ke5eua

My 30 seconds of free time is up. Oh well.
I was just worried about getting an infraction for the comment, lol

Comms shouldn't be an issue. Now me an napa might be one. 6 out of the 20 bosh type relays I got today are bad. Lucky I tested them on the bench before putting them into service. Would have been blown fuses, fried wires for sure.

Whiterabbit

The place is going to look like Division S6 by the time ya'll are done. :lol:
(A) What is the admin freq?
(B) What is the open/common freq?
(C) Will the official rally freq be within the range of common military radios? IE...RT524's,PRC77's?
Thanks

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
(C) Will the official rally freq be within the range of common military radios? IE...RT524's,PRC77's?
Thanks
A - 2 meter (146.500 Mhz)
B - 2 meter (ditto plus GMRS - 70 centimeter)
C - 6 meter (51.000 Mhz)

And I'm WQTQ575 on GMRS!

scottgs

Thanks
51.00MHz is what you will need. Just like last year. Did you get that audio problem worked out? I can't remember if we fixed it before the end of the rally last year or not. Also, I'm working on the SIIA grill. You have SIII now, correct? Will the 151 have commo?

Garret
W8BUG

ke5eua

I know if you try to talk to mil radios with ham gear you need to use a ctcss tone. I spent a day figuring this out and I have it written down in one of my green books but it's easy to figure out if your rig has ctcss scanner built in.

The mil uses a non standard tone but I've been able to talk between ham gear and mil radios using the closest one.

Whiterabbit

Hey,
The M151A2 would have my extra PRC77 manpack and a GMRS hand held tossed in the ammo box/console. Still having issues with the speaker on the AM2060. Got so ticked off messing with it one day I haven't even fired it up in 6 months! LOL!
Yea, I got that cheesy S3 plastic grill, no sweat if you don't have one tossed in the corner of your shop.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
PRC77's are only 4 watts, without a good antenna and an AM-2060 they are not much better than the GMRS HH's. Good antenna gives you an improved SWR and the AM2060 puts a bit more power in the output signal. Or, alternately, send the radio unit up on top of a hill, then try to talk.

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you guys thought of tactical Cal signs. You use them just like your call sign with your call sign.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I suspect that during the first full day of the rally all the amateur operators will be having a meet and greet at the command tent with the CO.

That way we can work on finalizing everything and talk about potential testing methodologies and getting CARNAC the coverage he wants for the medics. Unless someone sets up a 6 meter outfit at command all we will have there is 2 meter.

All suggestions and help are welcome. Let's come up with something year that we can have as a legacy moving forward and maybe even spread it to other rallies.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great idea, Kubotaman! I like the idea of setting up tactical call signs. Our ARES/RACES group practiced that a long time ago, and it worked well once we got used to it. It helps easily identify the location of the ham, and helped expedite needed information.

Here are a few examples I came up with.
Medic {call sign} For emergencies: MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY {tactical call sign, call sign} EMERGENCY MEDIC NEEDED AT {location}

Wrecker {call sign}

Since there are 4 trail rides happening at the same time, how about:
Trail 1 {call sign}
Trail 2 {call sign}
Trail 3 {call sign}
Trail 4 {call sign}
The tactical trail names could be modified to reflect the trail difficulty level.

Other thoughts: Assign tactical call signs to all stationary locations.

Other considerations: setting up a directed, controlled net vs. leaving the frequency open and quiet when not needed. Directed nets require slightly more manpower. Open nets are helpful when you're listening for emergencies or traffic. What do you think, Steve?

The main areas I can think of that require amateur radio operators in close proximity are the Medic tents, the Wreckers, and the trail rides.

ke5eua

Great idea, Kubotaman! I like the idea of setting up tactical call signs. Our ARES/RACES group practiced that a long time ago, and it worked well once we got used to it. It helps easily identify the location of the ham, and helped expedite needed information.

Here are a few examples I came up with.
Medic {call sign} For emergencies: MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY {tactical call sign, call sign} EMERGENCY MEDIC NEEDED AT {location}

Wrecker {call sign}

Since there are 4 trail rides happening at the same time, how about:
Trail 1 {call sign}
Trail 2 {call sign}
Trail 3 {call sign}
Trail 4 {call sign}
The tactical trail names could be modified to reflect the trail difficulty level.

Other thoughts: Assign tactical call signs to all stationary locations.

Other considerations: setting up a directed, controlled net vs. leaving the frequency open and quiet when not needed. Directed nets require slightly more manpower. Open nets are helpful when you're listening for emergencies or traffic. What do you think, Steve?

The main areas I can think of that require amateur radio operators in close proximity are the Medic tents, the Wreckers, and the trail rides.
Couple things about that.

As long as it's a ham on the radio and no joe blow this should be fine but how are you addressing id'ing every 10 mins when using tactical call signs?

A directed net is fine, but not needed. Open frequency is just fine. Think about it.

Directed net

KE5EUA to Net control
Net control go ahead
KE5EUA requesting to direct to N5NIR
Net control roger, proceed
N5NIR this is KE5EUA, Paul are you there?
Nothing heard, back to net control
Net control, thank you, net control standby

Now we will use open frequency

N5NIR this is KE5EUA, Paul are you there?
Nothing heard, KE5EUA clear

Mayday is a no no, we are not in the sea. Now if it is truly a life or death situation then by all means use "break break break" instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks