• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Official 2014 SS Georgia Rally Info SSGR14 thread

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Mrs and I are now home safely.

This years event was fantastic in my opinion.

SWB1 and the rest of the staff/volunteers did a fantastic job.

It was a pleasure to meet many new people this year, and see our "old" friends as well.

Thank you to everyone that contributed to the rally.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
A great rally, as the rally get bigger, the more control is needed, I think the rally WAY OVER SHADOWS the MVPA national convection in a lot of ways.
I would like to see the hard ball do some serious convoying instead of a 1/2 hour trip to some crappy bbq joint,

Maybe find a field or lightly wooded area 75 to 100 miles out, trucks convoy to the LZ, set up camp using ONLY what the truck carries, spend the night, break bivouac, load up, head back to the main compound. build the convey as the military would, this would be in realty, a short military training exercise.

I would find this a lot more fun, using the trucks as they were meant to be used, if this works, in future years, this idea could be expanded to include map/route fixing, maybe have other trucks coming to the rally land at the LZ then convoy back to the command compound, ect.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a video of the convoy. Will take a few days to dig it out and it has absolutely no sound. The only issue is that I was told wheelspinner would be the last truck and I was spinning the camer around when the hy-rail truck blazed by. It was also windy and made it difficult to keep the camera steady. Wonder how many driver saw the camera as it hovered just above them?

Last edited:

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, the odds were kind of against us to communicate this year. As mentioned, the PA system handles the brunt of it. The problem with a flyer would be the fact that there's no exact timeline when it comes to the rides and MKT. And as sure as you printed it, something would change.

I would say if we're ever in a point where we have no PA, perhaps we should bring along a dry erase board. That way the trail leads and MKT can update things for all to see.
We tried shooting for breakfast at 7am, lunch at 1pm and supper at 7pm, with a 1.5 hour window at each meal. For Saturday night's baked potatoes, we started working on them at 1pm, while feeding folks, first batch went into the oven at 2, rest at 3. Sometimes Murphy slips in on us and we are late.

And some notes for next year - If you have a 2014 Meal Card with unpunched spots, hang onto it. Your 2015 card will be discounted. And in 2015 if you have a meal card and miss that meal, we will feed you at a reasonable later hour, something we will not do for cash! Reasonable means up to two hours after the meal - 1030 for breakfast, 1630 for lunch, and 2200 for supper.

TMNT

Wreckerman, I enjoy the bugle calls and the MASH style announcements. As great as the rally was, I missed your special flare this year. Carry on.

zout

OK - now that I have settled down and Zout 2 is home I will give you an ear full of what I personally thought about the rally for 2014.

I thought it was the BEST RALLY EVER presented to participate in.
I saw more young adults at this rally we all enjoyed to make their experience better.
I was impressed how well the Front Tent reception area was to get in - pay and get into action - KENNY - SWBRADELY - thumbs up fellas - Job Well Done. Yeah you too Phil.
I was impressed by DT's presence there to handle their end of the deal aside from the rally folks.
I was impressed by the vendors and presentation of ALL the items for sale - layout of the field - drive through - AM72 - Mules and others I forgot who were in charge - SALUTE BRO - job well done.
The aside project of Rays headgasket and Andy's engine job was well thought of to set aside in the side field - wish them poor suckers could have had a tent over them to keep the heat off them to do those jobs.

Vendors - well - seems to be the minute issue which given is easily handled - you folks had more chit to pick from and different folks to choose from this year than any previous year - easily worked out. Yes I had a couple issues with non attended personnel but I took the item - came back several times to make sure I paid them and let them know how un-convenient it was to handle their schedule on my time table for having a few sippy pops with my Bro's - they came through with an agreeable price to make it worth while - again - all WORKABLE FOLKS - give them folks a break cause this was the best attendance of vendors I have seem (just wish I had more $$$$$$$$$$).

CAMO and crew helped me to where I was almost speechless at the last minute to run out and just be there - THANK YOU with all my heart - being there makes the rest of my year to wait for the next year.

I never heard one BITCH out loud which was a pleasant relief this year - keep that chit to yourself or just take it to the folks directly in charge aside from just spreading that crap around out loud.

MIKE - WM - MIKE and MKT CREW - awesome job this year and no different than any other year - TOP NOTCH FOLKS. BUT WHY are the same folks always the same ones helping year after year after year while they work their arse off for folks. To me - I would just leave the MKT at home - but that is just me. Those folks should get an award.

Hopefully - the JOKER and home crew can attend in full array next year - we'll see.

THANKS TO ALL - it was totally worth the time getting there. CAMO - thank you once again as you were a blessing in disguise.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There were 46 vehicles moving under their own power on the convoy. Didn't count trailers but there weren't too many.

Chief_919

Is there going to be an AAR thread this year? I have an idea to settle comms issues but was waiting to post it there.

Should I start one.

ke5eua

I think a good comms solution would have someone with a lmr license present and work under their license that way hams and non hams can play nice together.

Granted I wasn't there I'm just spit balling.

Chief_919

I think a good comms solution would have someone with a lmr license present and work under their license that way hams and non hams can play nice together.

Granted I wasn't there I'm just spit balling.
I have one, but they are almost always geographically limited, mine wouldn't be valid there. Intinerant license almost always don;t allow a repeater.

I am actually leaning toward GMRS. Real GMRS, not the bubble pack radios.

I have a complete, ready to go 100w GMRS repeater we can set up. No coordination is needed, and I see none listed it would interfere with. With a decent antenna up about 35-50 feet it would provide handheld coverage to all of Durhamtown.

Anyone can get a GMRS license, just $90 for 5 years and it covers you whole family. The little Baofeng radios plus a mobile antenna will work well for around $50, or for under $100 you can get something like an TK-840 complete. Most of us hams already have something that will work.

It would take the people wanting to be the comms guys need to get the license, but at $18 a year that isn't bad and can be used for other stuff all year.

It is really the only way to have a repeater and/or high power enough to get good coverage and stay legal.

sandcobra164

I would also ask that if you present a problem, offer a solution.
Sir,
I agree completely. This year was Fantastic in my opinion. I stayed in a cabin down the road but still managed to navigate the vendor area 3 or 4 times. I went on 5 trail rides in 3 days including 2 night trail rides. Some of the trail rides I went on were not the "guided" trail rides but this is my 5th year of doing this so I've figured out some of the trails and don't necessarily need the guided ones. I do enjoy riding in Dumpster's truck though as he is very skilled and very smooth as an operator. I just want everyone to realize that if you camp in the field, rely on the MKT for food, and expect a published timeline for trail rides and other events, you may be sorely disappointed. This is a vacation for all of us and nobody that helps organize this event receives a penny for their effort. I only come to ride trails and socialize but the Saturday night steak dinner is a must do as well. I plan for the rest of the stuff as if I was doing this whole thing by myself. As for the vendors, I enjoy buying stuff at this event because they drop the price for the items at this event and you have no shipping charges. It was pretty well laid out and I pretty well know them by this point so if they are not at their tent, their neighbors normally know where they are at and when they will get back. We had a lot of new people this year and perhaps they had higher expectations. I'm sure the Moderator's can work on it but once again, I had a great time and this was the best one I've been to and this one was number 5 for me!!!

Someone left about a one inch thick USMC manual on the tongue of my trailer Sunday morning (right between Gunnermac and Streamline). PM me and I'll get it back to you.
I left it, you seemed like a generator person, and after quickly glancing through that manual I was thinking it may have been for a diesel enginefor a generator. If you can't use it feel free to trash it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks