• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Official 2014 SS Georgia Rally Multimedia SSGR14 thread

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Always an adventure traveling with 73M819.

Blew out the same right tire at 40 mph. Back on road with 45 minutes. Took 15 minutes just to clean all the garbage off the road

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413152369.258060.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413152381.741029.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413152392.407668.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413152403.191016.jpg

My son traveling in the m1009 thought he blew the engine it was so loud behind him and shrapnel flying everywhere

I purchased from Pctrans new emergency triangles, very cool. The only reason I bought was they where totally safe when andy3 blew his motor with us last month.

I thought the 923 was going to be towing the 819 :)

Last edited:

TMNT

Always an adventure traveling with 73M819.

Blew out the same right tire at 40 mph. Back on road with 45 minutes. Took 15 minutes just to clean all the garbage off the road
I laughed my butt off at that last comment. What a visual!

Blythewoodjoe

I don't take a lot of pictures but I was looking at pictures from past years on the laptop last night and thought I would post a picture of each vehicle I drove to the 7 rallies I have attended. First one was 07 in Helen (I think). The funny thing is I have had the hummer cover I set up behind my "camper" this year at 4 rallies now. Each time on something different. I need help.

Attachments

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I always forget to take pictures too.

Funny story- so I got home, unloaded stuff that shouldn't get wet first as it looked like rain. Unchained the m37 then decided to leave it on the trailer so I could grease it tomorrow easier. Well, I am inside and suddenly here bang and bang. Angie runs outside and is yelling at the goats. Apparently, two had climbed in, knocked off the parking brake amd managed to push the clutch in. So the truck rolled off the trailer! By the time I got something to take a picture with Angie had already kicked them out. The truck was still in first gear...

Is that Goat Theft Auto?

I wish they would have helped me unload everything else too!!!

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Per Clinto's request, I'll post here. I am home, got in just before midnight. Robo McDuff was safely delivered to his family in FL. I have much to say but that will be in another post. Here are a couple of pics from unusual vantage points.

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Well, this is going to take awhile.

First, all of this is from my perspective and swbradley1 may have more to add later on from his point of view.

If you get left out, please don't take it personal. It's hard to remember everything.

There will be a announcement of some info about next years event, but this thread isn't the place for discussion. This is the multimedia thread for the 2014 event and should be kept to the posting of pics and video of this year's event.

Much thanks to our attendees who spend the money and time to come and visit with us. The Ga Rally grows every year and it's hard to believe in 8 years of it's existence it's always grown. We have people from California, New York, the freakin' Czech Republic, Uraguay, Cuba, Virginia, Ohio, Wyoming and everywhere else. We consider it the highest honor that people choose to spend their vacation with us and we work very diligently to ensure they get the best rally experience on Earth.

The rally volunteers who make the rally what it is. The CO, swbradley1 did a spectacular job and put fires out instantly. patracy as an XO ensured that swb always had relief when he needed to leave or deal with rally business. Recovry4x4 and his registration tent staff made sure that any rally attendee could get or find what they needed. The amount of effort that goes into running the registration tent is phenomenal and if you don't sit there for awhile, there's just no way to grasp how hard it is to register an event of this size.

Amgeneral72 literally worked wonders with the Durhamtown field-it's a weird shape and it combines campers with swap meet vendors. The swap meet was bigger than ever before and in the most challenging field ever and still looked better than it ever has. Amgeneral72 was on site on the Sunday before the rally and this gave him the capability to control the layout from the very beginning.

SCSG-G4 and his MKT volunteers are the hardest working group of the bunch. The amount of effort to set up, operate and close down the MKT and keep hundreds of people fed 3 times a day is literally herculean.

The trail ride leaders keep people entertained and in a safe way. Most attendees don't realize what goes into doing the trail rides. Multiple trips to D-town before the rally to inspect the trails and make the plans of where to take people. Early arrival trips to trim trees so 20K lb. 3 axle trucks can fit.

Thanks to all the people who made the "special operations" things like engine swaps, head gasket jobs and bed swaps work. I swapped a deuce engine-I know how much work it is and doing it in a field is crazy. Pulling it off is crazier and impressive.

Much thanks to the people involved for my new DUKW. It is now my favorite MV.

Much thanks to twright for the awesome coffee service.

Both Durhamtown and multiple people like poppop deserve credit for helping the rally by storing rally gear. I think many attendees just don't realize how much gear it takes to put on an event of this size. The MKT, tables, tents, hand washing stations, signage and banners, label printers, laptops, etc. And the rally has had to depend on borrowed equipment a lot and what we do own, we bought with the minimal MKT profits. By doing this, we've been able to continue to put the rally on for free and not charge attendees.

We appreciate D-town's giving us a dumpster truck for the week, as well as pretty much unlimited use of their skid steer. Makes lifting heavy stuff a lot easier. Porta-potties strategically placed on the property aren't terrible either.

We appreciate D-town's placement of an employee at our HQ tent-it really helped attendees get their spectator and drivers armbands squared away quickly and easily.

Now, for some big announcements:

The Ga Rally is famous for attendance and growth. Everyone seems to take an interest in the vehicle count and I think it's a sense of pride for a lot of attendees. I was concerned this year the rally would shrink a little: It has to at some point, it can't grow forever and the amount of people who dropped out at the last minute made me think this would be the year we'd shrink some.

Last year, we had 109 trucks (powered vehicles) and the year before was 106, so I thought we had plateau'd.

I am proud to report that I currently believe the final vehicle tally was 136. I have to check with swbradley when he gets home (he has the signup and count sheets), but I believe this is correct. As we were leaving, a gentlemen showed up in his 1009 and said he had hoped to catch the rally but missed due to other commitments and would be back next year. I took pics of his 1009 to prove I am not making this up to bump up the count.

20141012_140313.jpg

So we, in one year, grew over 20%! This is amazing! We are putting on one of the largest military vehicle rallies in the Country!

2014 attendance.jpg
The other big announcement is a date change. In the next 30-45 days, a new date for the 2015 event will be announced. It will be a little later in the year in order to try and avoid the hot temperatures of the last few years. One of the biggest things about the Ga. Rally was the weather-no one was doing a Fall Rally and everything was in the summer and it was just miserable. The Ga. Rally was originally a fall rally but changing weather has made it a summer rally. Check out this chart of recorded weather temps from the last 11 years:

graph (2).jpg

We simply don't have a choice in this matter: if we want nice weather (and this year was miserable), we have to move.

Please keep in mind that with an event of this size, everything is a compromise and pleasing everyone is impossible.

Here are the only pics I took the entire weekend:

20141011_173431.jpg20141011_173436.jpg20141011_173439.jpg20141011_173452.jpg20141011_174044.jpg

Once again: Thank you all for coming, thank you to the staff for making it the best rally in the Country and we all sincerely hope that everyone had an awesome time.

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Dang Clint you got that jeep to drive on the side of a cliff!!!!!!

Oh, wait, the pictures are sideways.

Great job with the rally. I really wish I could have made it. It was par for the course this year since I didn't make one single show this entire year and this was suppose to be an easy year for me.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Per Clinto's request, I'll post here. I am home, got in just before midnight. Robo McDuff was safely delivered to his family in FL. I have much to say but that will be in another post. Here are a couple of pics from unusual vantage points.
Holy moly! Look how organized the swap meet looks from the air! That is awesome!

Dang Clint you got that jeep to drive on the side of a cliff!!!!!!

Oh, wait, the pictures are sideways.

Great job with the rally. I really wish I could have made it. It was par for the course this year since I didn't make one single show this entire year and this was suppose to be an easy year for me.
Check out these pics my buddy posted on Facebook:

10710575_10205195345988985_3497265703274231397_n.jpg10712895_10205195345588975_4736596484323871453_n.jpg

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Made it home about 1500, all safe and sound. Unpacked just enough of the truck to get the food, clothes, and personal gear. I will unpack the rest over the next week.

I was the Hard Ball Convoy leader, and the convoy went well outbound. However, problems at the restaurant forced a long wait for all attendees, and then a problem with the local PD at the major intersection spilt the convoy. I circled around and checked to make sure that everyone did make it home safely.

We did have a tire blow out on one of the singled out deuce's, but the owner of the deuce and Ferro did a COMPLETE tire change in 10 minutes flat. For a deuce tire, that is NASCAR pit tire changing speed.

We have done this loop for the last 3 years. I am going to change it next year so that we see some different scenery for 2015. It may or may not involve an restaurant, but I will keep it in the 50 mile range, so that rally goers can do other stuff on the last day of the rally.

Photos will be along shortly(as soon as I get the wife's camera).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks