• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Official 2016 Ga. Military Vehicle Rally info thread. Oct. 19-23, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So I went out there today and sat down with Joni for a couple hours and discussed all the rally issues with them. So be patient.

Has anybody made a recon of the site of the FOB R I would like to know if my command tee pee is still standing and if my roof stove pipe is unmolested. Thanks
Oh man, sorry. I asked them about this and Joni said "every October we had an issue with some smelly homeless guy crashing in it, so we burned it".

However, I was looking out for you and I found you an alternate housing choice. D-town has these steel culvert pieces and they said they'd put them anywhere you wanted them and you can use them as an ersatz tent.

20161012_124347.jpg20161012_124407.jpg

Ok, on to other stuff:

Someone has already shown up! Somebody dropped off an M1009 and M101 and told D-town they'd be back with more stuff.

20161012_124013.jpg20161012_124320.jpg

Alright, here's the rest of the recon pics:

20161012_124122.jpg20161012_124121.jpg20161012_124022.jpg20161012_124020.jpg20161012_124019.jpg20161012_124016.jpg20161012_124015.jpg20161012_124012.jpg20161012_124013.jpg20161012_124137.jpg20161012_124345.jpg20161012_124244.jpg20161012_124243.jpg20161012_124407.jpg20161012_124958.jpg

D-town finally filled in those mosquito/liability/ponds of doom, so we are back to a mostly unencumbered swap meet area.

Porta Potties will be in place by Wednesday.

D-town will have staff at the registration tent to help attendees get their fees paid more easily.

See the following, copy and pasted directly from the D-town document Joni emailed me tonight:

Georgia MVR

Driver Pricing: @ MVR TENT/Durhamtown
Multi-Day (3-5 days) for $80
This fee includes 1 Driver of any Military Vehicle or ATV, SxS, or Dirt Bike
Or $20/day @ Lodge (Main Building)
Passenger, Campers, Vendors and Spectators: (NonDrivers)
@MVR/Durhamtown TENT-Multi-Day (3-5 days) for $20
Or $10/day @ Lodge (Main Building)
(Everyone onsite MUST have an armband)
Kids 12 and Under: FREE Spectator/Passenger for rally area only
(*Does not apply for riding in the ATV/Bike Parks)

No ATVs, Bikes are allowed in the Jeep Parks
UTV-side x side vehicles must wear Helmets when visiting the Jeep Parks

Durhamtown will have security checkpoints at each Jeep Park.

Camping:
General Camping, Vendors, tents, vehicles, Etc. will require a parking pass this year to be displayed on the rearview mirror or dash at no additional cost. You will receive this when paying for RV Site or Camping site. Security staff from Durhamtown will be monitoring the Rally area to ensure that all overnight campers, vehicles have this displayed or retrieved if asked. Please ask for Joni or Lauren with Durhamtown for any questions.
RV Sites with power require reservations @ regular rates. 706-622-4108
$15 Camping-No Power-Sewer-Electric (706-622-4108
Use Promo Code: Military Rally

Optional to MVR
Meal Tickets for Saturday Convoy to A.H. Stephen’s Park
Meal Tickets for the Convoy/Park/Eat @ A.H. Stephens State Park is $10.00 per person. This includes the park pass.
Menu
BBQ, Slaw, Baked Beans, chips, cookie, and drink.
Purchase meal ticket from Durhamtown @ MVR Tent.
Deadline is Friday at 9pm.
Any tickets purchased on Saturday morning will be
@$15 each.

Ok, some big pointers

If you're on D-town property, you'll have some kind of armband............ driver, spectator, camping, etc.

If you're out in the "Jeep parks" you will need an armband-either driver or passenger. D-town will have people at the entrances to both parks so if you don't have an armband, you'll be sent back to the RT to get one.

If you want to participate in the hardball convoy, you need to do two things:

When you arrive and hit the rally registration tent, you need to let us take a copy of your proof of insurance of the vehicle you wish to take on the event and you need to sign up for the convoy, pay your $10 fee and get your ticket. This way, D-town knows how much food to prepare at the state park. The cutoff is Friday evening at 9pm. If you do not sign up for the convoy by this point and then you change your mind and decide "ZOMG, THIS IS THE MOST AWESOMEST THING EVER AND I GOTS TO GO", then your ticket will cost $15.

T-shirts will be available again and, of course, they're spectacular:

finalshirts.jpg

Every size will be $20 each, except for XXL and XXXL, which are $22.50.

I want to emphasize something here:

The Ga. Rally has an attorney, an insurance policy, a PA system, lots of infrastructure like tables, tents, chairs, hand washing stations, etc. and we don't charge attendees anything to attend the rally. When you get to the rally and you pay fees, they're all going to Durhamtown. The only things the rally will take your money for are t-shirts and food at the MKT.

T-shirts and food are how we pay for all that stuff I listed above.

Also, Ron, I was just kidding. Your structure is intact.

20161012_124139.jpg

Gunnermac

Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can anyone transport a gun ring from a M1078 from Jacksonville Fla to the rally? I'll be glad to help significantly with fuel.

Mac

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
And, a really big announcement.

If you were paying attention to the picture of the shirts above, you see that we have come up with some sponsors.

The rally costs a lot of money to put on. We need tables, tents, chairs, a PA system, hand washing stations, an attorney, an accountant, an insurance policy, printer paper for all the paperwork, sharpies, pens, badges, etc. That's just the truth. And the rally runs on free labor. None of us make anything in terms of profit. All those people who run the swap meet and tell you where to park? All those people who are cooking breakfast at 6am? They're not getting a dime. They're doing it because they want to be a part of something great. They want to support the hobby.

Over the years, as the rally has grown, we have managed to perform two seemingly parallel feats: We have managed to make enough money to buy all those things above and we've managed to not charge rally attendees for anything. We don't charge for attendance, we don't charge for swap meet spaces, etc. If you give the rally money, it's for a shirt or a meal.

As the rally has grown, Durhamtown's fees have grown. We have no control over that. If you're paying a fee for driving, spectating, camping, etc., it's going to D-town and the rally doesn't get any of that.

As time has gone by and the rally mgmt. has grown aware of the need for infrastructure improvements, we've debated how to cross that line. And a lot of people, both rally staff and rally attendees, have said "Jeez Clint, just charge everybody $3 and that'll be enough to cover our needs". And we've resisted that, because rally attendees were already dealing with rising D-town costs.

So this year, I went out looking for sponsorships. I went to all sorts of businesses that are related to our demographic. And I'm very happy to announce our partnerships with two of the biggest names in military vehicle parts and accessories.

This year, the 2016 Ga. Military Vehicle Rally is being supported by Eastern Surplus and Memphis Equipment.

I want to take this time to talk about how much their assistance is allowing the rally to function and grow.

Eastern started years ago, I remember when their site wasn't even it's own standalone url, it was piggybacked onto another site. And in the last ten years, they've grown into an international sized business, serving the collector like most of us, all the way to municipalities and foreign buyers. Eastern has a comprehensive selection of both new and used inventory, vehicles, they do custom builds and they are now a dealer for the CG line of construction equipment. Eastern is our primary sponsor and without their support, the rally would go on but we wouldn't be able to do the things we have planned for the future. When you come to the rally and the rally doesn't charge you anything, you can thank Eastern Surplus. Our sponsors are allowing us to continue this trend and we are sincerely thankful. I hope that every rally attendee will consider Eastern Surplus the next time they are in need of a part, anything as simple as a seal all the way to a vehicle. Their website is below:

https://www.easternsurplus.net/

Our other sponsor is another giant in the military vehicle community, Memphis Equipment. Memphis has been around since the end of WWII and they have continued to grow. Memphis has access to vendors that most parts suppliers do not have and I can personally attest to this with a job I am currently finishing up, converting an M931A2 into an M932A2. Memphis has had parts that no other vendor could source. Memphis has a fantastic staff of very helpful people and they have been very helpful in sourcing unusual or hard to find parts. Once again, when you're sitting in a tent at the rally, eating your lunch out of the sun or rain, sitting in a table and chair that you didn't have to bring from home, it's not only because of the hard work of the rally volunteers, it is due to the support of sponsors like Memphis Equipment. Memphis' website is below:

http://memphisequipment.com/

The Ga Rally greatly appreciates the support of these vendors and we ask that all of our attendees consider these businesses when researching their next purchase.

Now, all that being said, we will continue to sell t-shirts, the t-shirts pay for a large amount of the rally's costs: a $3million insurance policy, an attorney, our accountant, etc. So buy our t-shirts, please!

Also, this year, we will be implementing another first: A raffle, where you can buy tickets and the prizes will be 3 gift certificates to Eastern Surplus. One gift certificate will be for $250, another for $100 and another for $50. So a raffle ticket holder has 3 chances to win. We will be releasing the program information on this shortly, you can buy raffle tickets at the registration tent and the drawing will be Saturday evening.

Finally, I want to reiterate a long standing rule about the rally: No leftover profit from the rally goes into my, or anyone else's pockets. It goes back into the rally bank account to be used for the next year's event or material improvements.

Thank you for taking the time to read all of that and let's all work toward helping our supporting sponsors realize a good return on their investment in our event.

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
WELL done, THANK YOU, the fat pipe WILL act as my under attack bunker next to the hooch.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Starting to load the Long Easy. It's amazing what a 20' bed on a 5 ton will hold. Look to be at Durham Town by noon Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks