• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oh no! What have I done? My new M1010

krebsatm02

There was! I was tempted to get my friends 32ft gooseneck and load 2 of them up. I'm glad I don't live in Mississippi else I might be divorced!

Anyone know what one of these weighs by any chance?

lavarok

The M1010 weighs in at around 7370lbs. Welcome to the M1010 club. If you need any help once you get her home, let me know. I have spent hours studying the intricacies of the M1010 model CUCV.

krebsatm02

Thanks Lavarok. I'll have to see what the fire department has done to it. Obviously it needs a new windshield and god knows what else.

We'll see soon. Obviously I'm excited.

tourdog

well congrats on the 1010 i also have one here in maine . I did a bad thing though i took the box off to make a flat bad truck . but any way if you need help I have also spent a lot of time with all the in and out of the 1010 . Just beware of the blue box dont let the blue smoke out . If you need i can tell you how to do the easiest 12 volt con. if your blue box is bad. I spent hours trying to find one when i did it was way to much to be worth buying .any way good luck with it

lavarok

well congrats on the 1010 i also have one here in maine . I did a bad thing though i took the box off to make a flat bad truck . but any way if you need help I have also spent a lot of time with all the in and out of the 1010 . Just beware of the blue box dont let the blue smoke out . If you need i can tell you how to do the easiest 12 volt con. if your blue box is bad. I spent hours trying to find one when i did it was way to much to be worth buying .any way good luck with it
What did you do with the rear box? Any salvageable parts inside? I'm interested in you still have it.

tourdog

i still have the box . i dont know just what is standred to be in it i has the a/c unit was charged all lights heater and gpu in it the to top beds are gone block and tactkle are gone but the out side lope is there . i have slept in it a few times thought were to use as camp were i cant get big camper in .but never know if need some thing pm me we will see if i got it or not .

krebsatm02

I'll post some pics later, I've had a rough week. Figured out why all the cab windows are broken... Kids+Rocks.

I can't get fuel to the filter and sub sequentially the injectors. I'll start searching threads.

krebsatm02

Got it running. Read a bunch of threads and figured out how to bleed everything.

So I've got some concerns. Someone cludged a 12v alternator on the engine. They dropped the 24v alternator below the 12v.

Why are my images showing up as links and not pictures? I'm using the "
"

Other pics...

Last edited:

Michael

Looks like they replaced the top 24v alt with a 12v. That might actually work out better than the stock set up. You will have to let us know and more details on how they did it, if it does work well. Looks like it cleaned up well. How are they running the spot lights, they look like 120 volt?

lavarok

Nice! If you ever want to get rid of the brackets to the front of each bench please let me know. The ones that go from the floor to the ceiling. I see your dome light works as well. I am still troubleshooting mine.

Also, in regards to your charging setup; the stock setup was [2] 24v alts. Sounds like you have [1] 24v and [1] 12v. If so, then the person before you solved the problem with 12v charging by taking out the top 24v unit and replacing it with a 12v. I'd like to see the mounting bracket used. I thought of this prior to installing my battery equalizer.

krebsatm02

Anyone know why the pics won't show up?

Interesting about the alternators... I was under the impression there was only 1 24v alternator.

The bracket for the top one was definitely homemade. If kept that setup I'd have to make a new bracket. I work in a machine shop, so I've gotten anal about things.

What I'd really like to do is find a 93/94 6.5 turbo diesel truck with a 4x4 nv4500. Convert to serpentine and use the turbo and manifolds from it.

What in the ambulance runs off 24v? I assume the ac blower motor? Maybe the light? I know about the starter, etc... on a regular m1008.

Also, anyone converted the AC to R134?

Edit: The 24v alternators were 200amps right? Why did they need 400amps???

krebsatm02

Also, how much of a demand for parts is there for these things?

I know a guy with a much cleaner one. He told me if I took the drive train out of mine and gave it too him, he'd let me keep the cab/box from mine and give me his complete M1010 for $950.

I'd love to do that, but I can't sink that much money into another one. However, if I could sell some parts, to recoup some of it, I'd be game.

krebsatm02

One more post...

My ultimate goal for this is a mile expedition style camper. Hopefully you guys won't shoot me;-)

I have intimate knowledge of this era chevy drivetrain. I went from a stock 88K5 that eventually was on 1 tons, with 38.5 tsl's, crossover steering, etc...

I'd like to put 35's on this. Anyone lifted one of these? Rear shackle flip?

Michael

I think it was two 100 amp 24v alt for 200amp total @ 24v verses two 100 amp 12v alt for a total of 100 amps of 24v power in the other trucks. The orange wire conversion may cut the total output some also. The extra power was for the NBC filter kit which I have only seen in one truck on GL and the blowers in the AC.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks