• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

OHIO BMV Changed my Street Legal Title from Virginia to Off Road USE only

gtodan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What Ryan said. Your reps have to know of the problem before they can reign in the BMV! Do you have the bonded title option in your state?
DanJ
Sush, you might give them ideas! :???:

In all seriousness though, like some other states have, I suppose they could. I just renewed my registration though with no problems. In and out in less than 10 minutes without a second thought given to it.

I would like to see them justify doing so, however, considering how you can literally build a car from tubing and sheet metal in your garage and that's a-okay but a HMMWV somehow isn't. :roll: I've driven by countless cops with not a second look, except the occasional thumbs up. My brother is a county deputy and said that so long as the basic safety equipment requirements (posted in the other thread) are met, there is no reason to prohibit it let alone stop it.

Like I said, it's going to take a legislative reckoning for the BMV to reign them in so, get involved and contact your reps!

cwc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This has been quiet for more than a year now. Any update on how things are working out in Ohio?

Thanks,
Chris

av8or

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not to be a naysayer but my guess is that the more HMMWVs that come out, the more scrutiny they will get. It's no secret that they weren't supposed to be registered for road use. I wonder if any of the early release sale from the USMC owners will soon see repurcussions from GP selloff.
Let's hope not. Some of us paid dearly to get a titled early released HMMWV.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If that had happened to me, I would have immediately told the lady that I had changed my mind and was going to return the vehicle to the previous owner in Virginia and demanded my VA title back.

tage

Let's hope not. Some of us paid dearly to get a titled early released HMMWV.
Doesn't matter... You can get washed titles as of now in certain states. The fact plan b does it for 2.3k should be fraud in itself.
That title sounds like it was issued and later revoked.... Not the case.

Anyways the early release trucks were the creme of the crop. Now the stock is ****

Kwaligura

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just went to the bmv in ohio and asked them about buying a wrecker from Georgia off of a ss member. They said that ohio won't issue a title for former military vehicles. I asked what about buying one that was already titled in Ohio. They said nope. I bit my tongue. My wife was standing next to me and she was surprised that I kept my mouth shut. She knows me all too well. We walked out the door, I said a few French words about well they just did 2 of them for me in the last 6 months. I will probably just get a Vermont title and plates for it as I really want a wrecker. My back isn't what it used to be.

Day Tripper

I just bought a M35A3 from Kentucky two weeks ago. I had to have dealer inspection of the VIN and mileage to certify the the out of state title. No problems, just had to pay sales tax and fees. Went next door with my title and bought my historic plates. I think it's the local staff of the DMV who bias the decision. Go to a different DMV branch and you might get the desired results.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just went to the bmv in ohio and asked them about buying a wrecker from Georgia off of a ss member. They said that ohio won't issue a title for former military vehicles. I asked what about buying one that was already titled in Ohio. They said nope. I bit my tongue. My wife was standing next to me and she was surprised that I kept my mouth shut. She knows me all too well. We walked out the door, I said a few French words about well they just did 2 of them for me in the last 6 months. I will probably just get a Vermont title and plates for it as I really want a wrecker. My back isn't what it used to be.
You need to look up the law in Ohio and make sure the written law supports what the BMV is saying. If the law doesn't specifically state that you can't title a FMV in Ohio, it is time to go higher up in the BMV bureaucracy and contact your local representatives.

18operator

Hey there, I found this article from Nov 2018
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2018/47/ohio-bills-introduced-to-create-titling-for-military-humvees

Don't know how far it's gone yet.
[/FONT]

Kwaligura

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I saw that one surfing the net yesterday. Not sure either. I have Wednesday and Thursday off I'm going to make a phone call and see if Hoagland is in town.

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the idea of trying another BMV office. I would not drive my MV there. It sounds like things went bad when the BMV employee saw the vehicle. As far as trying the to get legistration passed to help us, good luck. We tried that in Michigan. We got close but the governor vetoed it. I hate to say it, but our hobby is in trouble. More and more people that don’t understand us are in positions to make thing difficult if not impossible... I don’t mean to be negative, just have some concerns.

ryanruck

The Ohio BMV is largely occupied by mouth breathing, rubber stampers. Anything beyond renewing registration or a driver's license has a tendency vapor lock them.

I'd go to a different office and hope you don't get some other Affirmative Action hire but, if you want to have some fun, ask them why their own website gives instructions on historic military vehicles being able to run without a license plate if no military vehicles can be titled in the state?

https://publicsafety.ohio.gov/links/bmv4853.pdf

2019-03-10_13-38-19.jpg

Or right in the ORC: http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4503.181

2019-03-10_13-44-00.jpg

Idiots...

This state badly needs pro MV legislation to standardize MV registration procedures and reign in the BMV since they're just making up law on their own. That 2018 legislation died with the last legislative session and so far as I know, new legislation has not been proposed for this legislative session yet.

That or move to KY or some other pro-MV ownership state.

Kwaligura

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I regularly see the employees of my local bmv at car shows and cruise ins. I wonder what they will say about my vehicle having Vermont plates
It would be funny. But I like pushing people's buttons.

ryanruck

I regularly see the employees of my local bmv at car shows and cruise ins. I wonder what they will say about my vehicle having Vermont plates
It would be funny. But I like pushing people's buttons.
No restrictions on existing Ohio residents with an Ohio DL operating out of state owned and registered vehicles. Only new residents moving into the state with out of state licenses. So not much they can.

Kwaligura

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 2 that I already have titled in ohio already had Ohio titles and I never took either one to the bmv for them to see. The first one they asked what it was as they had not heard of Am. General. I said dump truck. They asked me what it weighed. I said 13,000 empty. They said that anything over 10,000 empty in ohio needed commercial plates. I asked about historical. She told me about the restrictions and not being able to haul anything. I thought it would be a bit difficult trying to get the cop to believe that I was coming from a car show in February with a load of coal or firewood in the bed. So I paid for commercial plates. Although when hauling heavy I stay on the back roads.

cwc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This state badly needs pro MV legislation to standardize MV registration procedures and reign in the BMV since they're just making up law on their own. That 2018 legislation died with the last legislative session and so far as I know, new legislation has not been proposed for this legislative session yet.
HB710 in the last session was focused on HMMWVs. Any new legislation should be written to clear up the problem for all MVs. There is plenty of useful information in the threads in the "politics" forum from the issues in Virginia, Michigan, Washington State, etc., and also the success stories in GA, LA, KY etc. Key points are the MIL-STD and its acceptance as equivalent to FMVSS by the NHTSA and the Appellate court in Wisconsin.

It will be much easier to pass a law without opposition from the administrative branch of the government, or there is a risk of veto as happened in Michigan. It would be good to know where the opposition is coming from and also the basis. I have never seen any sort of official memo from the Ohio BMV stating reasons for the MV registration issues. Does such a memo exist?

There has been a change in the Ohio Governor's office, also a new Director of Public Safety, under which the BMV falls. Maybe it is worth a shot to try to engage the administrative branch at some level, either directly or with one or more legislators supporting the effort.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks