• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

oil additive

2deuce

After reading about the oiling system in the Starting Advice post, I think a oil additive would be a good idea. What do you guys use? Some of them are quite expensive especially with the amount of oil in our engines. Thanks

2deuce

I thought an additive would be a good idea cause on cold start ups there is no oil anywhere until the oil filters are charged. From the time your engine starts till the time your bearings get oil pressure the engine has turned many revs. I for one may go a month between start ups. Many additives claim their products aid in this area. I knew of one that said you could run only water in the crankcase if you ran their product with oil in your engine first. They then went to prove it with a cross country run but the car only went from La to Phoenix before the water boiled out of the engine. They couldn't read the dip stick. I think there are good products out there, just wondered if anyone could personally recommend one.

Jones

It's a matter of choice for most people. I like the idea of an additive that leaves a film of lube for start-up although STP and Slick 50 seem to up the viscosity in larger quantities. I've always used Power Punch products for both engine and gearcase applications with good results. First-line defense is always regular oil changes and fresh filters. Oil that's contaminated or breaking down due to dilution doesn't do a good job on it's best day.

2deuce

I have used some of these products in the past but I never really knew if they worked or how well they worked. Please elaborate on how they worked for you. I may use one on the premise "better safe than sorry" but if anyone has any evidence of their effectiveness, or even why you think one product is better, please brain dump here.
Thanks

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
2deuce,
Under the 'better safe than sorry' category. I use an additive called 'Pro Long' (no jokes folks). I use the engine additive, the transmission additive and the fuel additive. I also use the Pro Long spray when working on firearms as a gunsmith.

I travel 850 both ways to visit my parents. On a return trip, the cruise control in my Suburban stopped working in overdrive. I pulled over and checked the transmission. Everything looked OK.

I proceeded to drive home in drive (less mpg) at about 75 mph with the cruise working just fine. The next morning, after a long day on the road, I checked the tranny again. The top of the dipstick was rusted. "What the ...??"

I took it over and had my transmission guy look at it. He told me I had probably destroyed the high speed impellor and those parts floated throughout my transmission, causing problems. He then ask where was the tow truck that dropped me off? When explaining I drove it over, he was completely shocked.

A week later, after rebuilding and strengthing my tranny (700R4) to handle up to 700 hp, everything was back to normal. My mechanic said he was surprised there wasn't more damage. He gave me a handfull of high speed impellor that had ate itself.

That's JUST one of my stories. But I use it and Royal Purple products in every vehicle we own. That WILL include the deuce when I get one.

Armada

I use Lucas in the engine and all other cases. Also use a Lucas additive in the fuel tank. Not thick like STP and it does stick/cling to all surfaces. Flame away.....

2deuce

I know the claims are misleading and that they are trying to sell their product. That is why I'm asking for personal experiences. Aside from that, is there something, anything, backed up scientifically? The football player trying to hold onto the end of a screwdriver dipped in STP isn't what I had in mind. Claims that 50% of engine wear occurs on startup, are they bull? and claims that their product bonds to metal are they just claims?

M35guy

While startup is when the most wear occurs on a motor, I dont know about any additives. I figure if it didnt come in it originally, I aint puttin it in.

Dieselsmoke

bomar76 said:
Pro Long can't make any claims either:
Prolong Super Lubricants Settles FTC Charges
Performance Claims for Motor Oil Additive Were Unsubstantiated

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/1999/09/prolong.htm
Maybe they can't, but I agree with wallew-the product works. I know one guy in Colorado turbo lost it's seals and blew every bit of oil out the stack. Unknowingly he drove the truck 250 miles before realizing there was not a drop in it. He had been running the Pro-long in it for a few months, it must have done something as that truck is still running strong today.
I've got a list of stories that I've seen firsthand with Pro-long including a 2mpg gain in my Powerstroke.

Jones

Start-up is definately the hardest, when everything is cold and whatever oil film in bearings is the thinest.
Personal experience on the Power Punch;
Just started using the engine oil additive but have used their Extreme Pressure gear oil additive for quite a while with good results. I have no I-drove-400-miles-with-the-rear-axle-dry stories but on every tear down I've found a pretty good coating of the stuff everywhere; and know it's miserable to completely remove, even in a parts washer, so I figure it's sticking to the parts and pieces pretty well.

rdixiemiller

If I run a can of STP oil treatment in my little 4 cyl. Nissan truck (254K miles), it runs smoothly for 6000 miles when I change the oil. Without it, I have a hydraulic cam follower that starts leaking down when the engine has been run at highway speeds for an hour or so. The engine will start ticking at me when I drop to an idle.
Been doing this for 125K miles in the little ricer.
Other than that, I have never been a real additive user.
I will say one thing, STP oil treatment will really smooth up the steering box on an old truck!

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ProLong stories:

The first time I came across ProLong was a guy who had just gotten the distribtorship for Florida. I was in Daytona Beach and it was 1991. Daytona Bike week 50th anniversary.

I came across this guy as he was setting his booth up on a Friday afternoon. He set up a four cylinder engine on a stand. It had a radiator, an exhaust system, a lawn mower gas can, and a couple of gauges on a 'dashboard' (metal plate with several holes for gauges and switches). After talking to the guy, I told him I'd be back.

I came back the next day. His demonstration went like this with him talking through out all of the demonstration.

He would start the engine and let it come up to temp with the rpm set at about 800 rpm. Chuggada chuggada chuggada...

First he drained the oil from the oil pan. Chuggada chuggada chuggada ...

Then he removed the oil pan so you could see the crank spinning around. Chuggada chuggada chuggada...

Next he removed the valve cover so you could see the valves going up and down. Clackada Clackada Chuggada Clackada Chuggada Clackada Chuggada...

Then he takes a knife to the lower radiator hose and all the water spills out on the ground. Clackada Chuggada Clackada Chuggada...

I have been watching the temp of the engine, which has never moved off of 160 degrees during this entire demonstration...

For a coup de grace the guy took a handful of fine beach sand and threw it into the moving valve train. Clackada Chuggada Clackada Chuggada Clackada Chuggada...

I watched this guy do this particular demonstration twice a day for a week. When I asked him how many engines he went through a year he told me that this was the only engine he had used. He and his guys tore it down last year and ended up ONLY replacing the rings cause the rest of the engine looked excellent and well within factory spec...

So, while I understand making claims without 'scientific evidence' to back it up, I've seen what this additive can do.

ProLong silenced my Harley's noisy five speed transmission that was fifteen years old and made it shift like it was better than brand new.

And the automatic transmission story above.

ProLong, added to Royal Purple is such an awesome combination that you would not believe it.

I've been using this particular combination for about eight or nine years in all my vehicle. I'm particularly impressed with 'Purple Ice' which is an additive for the cooling system. One small bottle costs about $13 but lowers the operating temperature by at least ten percent. My personal experience with three different vehicles has been almost twenty percent decrease in operating temperature. Plus it adds a lubricant to the water pumps moving parts.

baja_power

wallew said:
I'm particularly impressed with 'Purple Ice' which is an additive for the cooling system. One small bottle costs about $13 but lowers the operating temperature by at least ten percent.
if thats true then its never going in my Deuce :!:

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
BP,
Is it the cost or the fact that it lowers the temp that's the problem?

I like the fact that it lubricates the internal parts of the water pump and lowers operating temperatures.

I have found no negatives to using it. In the three years we've been using it in three different vehicles. Two four cylinder boxers in my wifes Subaru's (one older one that we traded in on a new one last year) and my 91 GMC Suburban with 350 V8.

If it's controlling the temperature, you can always put in a higher degree thermostat.

baja_power

just the fact it lowers the temp. Here it takes forever to heat up and even in the summer with no winter cover i never overheat, the cooling system is way too efficent..

just my 2cents

2deuce

There is soluble oil. Add to your coolant, lubes the water pump. Its been around a very long time. I was at a auto parts/accessory store today, they have one big area just for oil and additives. There seemed to be less additives and the ones they did have weren't making the claims of extending engine life but were saying they were teflon and graphite free, some said they were pure petroleum products. Some say they cling better than regular oil and Lucas had a demonstration to that effect but higher viscosity oil does the same thing. They used to sell Prolong there but I couldn't find it today. Royal Purple was $5.49 a quart this could get expensive. I want a product that will give more protection at startup than regular oil cause I may go over a month between startups. If additives help I'll use them, oil today is much better than what was originally put in our Deuces. Figuring out the facts from the hype is the tough part. I'm glad the Feds took an interest. Thanks for all the input.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks