• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil Change on the Deuce. When?

ida34

This post only applies to periodic oil and filter changes. Not changes brought about by other maint such as a head gasket change or such.

The LO states to only change oil and filter when the oil analysis indicates to change them. They do say to sample oil every 60 or 120 depending on use (Regular Army or Reserve).

For guys that have had analysis done it appears that levels of certain substances are given but do they every make a recommendation as to a filter or oil change? I figured the Army has it's own thing going but did not know if the civilian testing labs make the same recommendations at the Army lab.

What do you guys do for oil and filter changes? Wait to be told by analysis or change at regular intervals? What interval do you use and how many miles do you put on your truck. I only put about 200 or 300 miles on mine in a year. This is the main reason I was thinking about going by the oil analysis.

Please comment.

JeepMan

Just a thought but how about when you wipe the dipstick off with your fingers and you can't see your fingers like you can with fresh oil?
I used to use this "rule of thumb" so to speak in various equipment I used.
I notice that just about 3,000 miles which is the recommended oil change interval on my car I can't see my fingers.

therbert

From my experience, Diesel engines can do 30K on the right oil. My uncle sells trucks and heavy equipment. He swears by rotella and they do oil changes at their place every 25K to 30K. They have been through the testing for 15+ years and their trucks never fail for oil issues. Once I changed my oil in my excursion to rotella synthetic. I never changed it after that. JUST changed filter every 12 months just in case. I only put about 5K on it in a year.

Just my 2 cents..

Thanks

Tom

saddamsnightmare

March 22nd, 2008.

AGAIN GENTLEMEN: Thanks for the Insights!!!!

I have been wondering just about when I should change the M35A2's oil in the engine, but being a diesel, I have noticed that they dirty their oils quicker then a gas engine, but they seem to be able to handle it. Given the huge crackcase capacity and the cost of 15W-40 Rotella (about $15.00 a gallon here in N.E. Texas), I figure that at 5000 miles a year maximum, with proper filter maintenance, she should live a fairly long life if the Hercules, Continentals or Whites have anything like the mileage life expectancy of a commercial diesel engine. At least she doesn't use 250+ gallons of diesel like the 16 567B in the GP-9......
I suppose she is running on her original change from 1989 or 1990, but I'll fish around in the glovebox to see if any of the Army maintenance paperwork still exists.

Thanks again,

Kyle F. McGrogan

1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" 686A Tan, Vietnam and Desert Storm Veteran Deuce.
""??"" Johnson MFG.Co. M105A2 1-1/2 Ton, Trailer, Cargo, in MERDC or NATO 4 color Woodland Paint.
1963 Swiss Army Cargo Unimog, S404.114 Mercedes Benz, (NATO) Green.

bottleworks

ida34 said:
For guys that have had analysis done it appears that levels of certain substances are given but do they every make a recommendation as to a filter or oil change?
They will suggest when to change the oil and filter. They will also suggest checking your air filter if soot levels are excessively high. They put their suggestions in the comment section of the report.

EDIT: Changed the picture height due to that..!@#@!..watermark.

Attachments

dmuchow

Amsoil sells an oil analysis kit, a bit spendy but i haven't shopped around. Used them twice with great results (lots of feed back, went into detail about all the metals etc. that were found and their purpose/cause)

as a side note, anyone running synthetic in their regular cars and trucks is (probably) throwing money away by changing every 3k. I went 6k and did an OA and it came back saying basically it lost 2% of its ability to lubricate.

FreightTrain

Banned
blackstone labs sells them.You can order over the net either prepay samples or order free sample kits and just pay as you send them in.I would suggest prepay in quantitiy to get a slight discount.They will tell you if you have problems by what metals are in there of if you have a fuel system problem or a blown head gasket or problem with the air filter system(Silicone content...AKA dust)

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I plan on doing my deuce once a year, regardless of mileage, though I doubt I will be putting more than a few thousand miles a year on my truck. If I change oil every 3,000 miles, just like my other vehicles, I see no problem in my truck having a lifespan of 40-50 more years with the same engine.

jatonka

Oil Samples are a great benefit to help all of us determine how far we can go on an oil change. Actually, if we are not driving many miles, and condensation is not affecting our oil quality, there is no need to even change once a year. At 22 quarts, we are throughing money away and wasting a precious and expensive commodity if it is not neccessry. IMHO. In another light, if your oil pressure could build up in 2 to 3 seconds instead of 10 to 20 seconds when you start your engine you would really help extend the life of your motor and cut down on the amounts of heavy metal particulates in your engine oil. I have anti drain back oil filters and adaptors that accomplish this goal. John T

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
JeepMan said:
Just a thought but how about when you wipe the dipstick off with your fingers and you can't see your fingers like you can with fresh oil?
I used to use this "rule of thumb" so to speak in various equipment I used.
I notice that just about 3,000 miles which is the recommended oil change interval on my car I can't see my fingers.
Most of the time on a diesel you can change the oil and after the engine runs for about 30 minutes the oil will be as black as coal.

ida34

I took my sample last night. I noticed the price on the side of the bottle. $16.99. The bottle comes with a zip lock bag and the paperwork. You put all of it in the prepaid mailer bottle then send it in. I got it from the local TA travel center.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should do a baseline sample. Sample the new clean oil because some of the elements in the clean oil are also in dirty oil and you'll need to know how many more PPM are in your used oil for the analysis to make any sense. Sitting with old used oil is just as bad as extended change intervals, more so in the multis due to the filtration type..paper and no micro filtration media or bypass. The used oil contains acidic elements that attack soft metaks like lead, tin, copper...all the bearing components. IMHO, oil is cheap, I see far too many companies..Penske, Ryder, Old Dominion, UPS, etc use analysis. The inside of their engines are coated with a sticky, black goo. If you touch it, the stain on your hand, finger, whatever, stays with you for a week. I put 16k on mine in the last 2 years and changed the oil 8 times total. Most of my miles are unloaded and a bit more idling than i'd like due to parades.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will's post above contains a lot of good info that could be expanded on, I'm sure, thanks!

Remember that running the engine at low op temps will help accumulate water, which will lead to acid formation. In my case, with the crane operating, the engine often runs at low op temps and I use a more or less permanent radiator cover to cope with that.

A few years ago, I put a lot of miles on my deuce and negleted to change the oil and filters as often as I should have and that may have been a primary cause for the "knock" that developed from what I (and others) believe is a worn #6 rod bearing.
Several oil analysis reports have shown a progressive increase in metals and I'm now not running the deuce except for small crane jobs until the bearing problem is taken care of. A persistantly low oil pressure is also an indicator.
I should have changed oil and filters according to the LO... aua

The 8x8 engine will definitely get fresh oil at proper intervals, that's a promise there, big Ford.

Bigmillman

I have been to a few Caterpillar tech schools on thier diesels and they say that the oil will in time (a long time) will etch the crank journals if you go without periodic sampling. Or, just change it from time to time. Sampling is the better choice. :D