• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

oil change

serp

i am about to do my first oil change on the deuce, so i need some advice from the experts. i guess i drain oil from the filters with the plug below the filters. do i need to prime the filters and if so how. any other tips would be great, thanks

Massm35a2

The filters drain out when you shut the engine off. Just give them 5 min. and they will be empty when you pull the cans. Just have a big bucket to drain the pan into. You will have more than 5 gal. to drain :)

jwaller

make sure when you do the filters(oil anf fuel) dont twist the cans when tightening them to spec. you can tear the gaskets and cause a big leak.

fill the fuel filters with diesel before installing. esp if you intake pump isnt working. if your pump is working turn the acc switch on and let the system bleed itself clean. might take around 5 min to purge all the air out.

Banshee365

One nice tip is the drain the rear oil pan plug first, it is higher than the front plug. This way there isn't 5.5 gallons of oil all ready to come out of the front plug. Draining the rear plug first drains a bit of weight off the front plug. Then get a new 5 gal bucket and drain the front plug.

-Kelly

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My advise, Have a lot of clean rags handy. Your about to make a big mess! My oil filters allways leave some still in the can. So when i break the bolt loose it always runs down the side of the engine. As for the fuel filters. There is a bleeder valve at the top of the filter housing for the 2nd and 3rd filters. Turn you acc switch on and open this bleeder until raw fuel comes out with no bubbles. Then fire it up.

vtdeucedriver

when i do my fuel filters, when I place them back in I fill one with fuel and the other with power service.

oil changes......I went to my hardware store and bought 3 six gal fuel containers. I use them for my drain oil in my trucks, plenty of room and easy to get rid of.

Pinkie

I won't run WMO in my trucks just my .02. I do not want to start anything but if one little piece of metal gets through the filters, your injectors COULD be toast. I am not saying they will be but think about it. Please do not start an argument my saying "I have run WMO for thousands of miles" That is fine if you run WMO for thousands of miles, I am just saying that I would not do it.

Thank you guys very much for the oil change info I will have to do it shortly!

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a lube order that says 600 hours. But i NEVER go more than 200 hours. Uncle sam has plenty of spare engines, i don't. I run mine in the woods alot so i can't go by mileage.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
The TM cautions us to ALWAYS turn the engine over with the engine stop pulled out, then push it in to start - and many of us routinely disregard this. However, in my opnion this is especially important after an oil change.

Regards,
David

ida34

It is a check for Hydrolock. If the one of the cylinders fire with alot of fuel in it the motor will have major problems when the cylinder filled with fuel hits top dead center. With the stop lever pulled there should be no more fuel introduced and the engine should not fire. The engine will stop when the cylinder with excess fuel gets to the point of full compression but without the other cylinders producing power the result is alot less of a headache. Also getting oil pressure up without the engine firing is alot easier on the bearings.

tbrenner

Being that the filters drain back has anyone put a check valve in or is it even posible. I don't have my truck yet so I'm not sure what that all looks like. Only bad part would be all the oil in there when replacing filters.

jwaller

serp said:
i would think that gets oil through the filters and starts to pump through motor before it starts.
ya it would but if you notice it takes ~30sec to produce oil pressure with the engine at an idle. I'd hate to think how long it would take trying to build oil pressure with the starter alone.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
30 seconds? Really? Both of mine produce oil pressure in 12 seconds. After precranking it I can get that down to 8 seconds but it seems that no amout of cranking can get it below the 8 seconds. I urge all you deuce owners to time this procedure and report the results. Would be interesting to see the difference.